GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just got my GTR back from it's 30 month service only to notice that when I start it, the oil level low message appeared. I checked the dipstick which was dry.

I have spoken to the dealer and have had the car transported back to them.
Obviously I am very concerned about what damage has been done to the engine as it has been run without any oil in it, especially as it comes out of warranty very shortly.

Please can anyone help with what I need to look out for, and also how I should proceed. Should they get a camera inside the engine?

Surely I have a legal case? What should I do?

This is my very first post, so I apologise if I haven't made sense as I'm currently fuming which is more than the exhausts are doing at the moment.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Was this done at a nissan main dealer? Im guessing there must of been some oil in there if the car was driven any distance rather than them draining it and comletely forgetting to refill it.

Was it a case that they just didn't put the right amount in?

Either way,I would ask for something in writing from them as some engine damage could of occured aithough it may be some time before it becomes apparent.

Not good however you look at it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it was done at a main dealer (HPC centre).
The oil had been drained and not refilled.
The dipstick showed slight remnants of old dirty oil spattered up it, not clean, fresh oil. This was obviously from when the engine had been run up. When I wiped the dipstick and tested the level it was completely dry.
They clearly had forgotten to put any oil back in.

Fingers crossed it leads to nothing serious for the engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was driven off the back of the delivery transporter, left ticking over for a few minutes whilst I checked the condition of body work, then driven into my driveway.
I also got it mot'd by the dealer for when its becomes three years old so they would have had it running for emissions, unless that was before the service. It was running at least 4 mins when delivered for sure.

·
Registered
821 Posts
With some luck there may have been a tiny amount of oil left in the engine and major components which will minimise any damage caused. But a car running without oil, it won't be looking good :( I hope you get it sorted out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's my fear. I just need to go down the route of proving the damage I guess. I should've oil changed it myself!

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
That sounds like a massive error,but will they strip the engine to check for damage or just fill it up and fob you off.

The latter i think.

·
Registered
821 Posts
It's ridiculous that they didn't remember to fill the oil up! They'll have to provide proof if they say they did put oil in and then try and explain how all the oil has been lost within less than a mile of driving. How much warranty is remaining on your car?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The warranty expires in 18days. I can see it stuck with the dealer for 18 days, then when I pick it up the engine will pop.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have just got my GTR back from it's 30 month service only to notice that when I start it, the oil level low message appeared. I checked the dipstick which was dry.

I have spoken to the dealer and have had the car transported back to them.
Obviously I am very concerned about what damage has been done to the engine as it has been run without any oil in it, especially as it comes out of warranty very shortly.

Please can anyone help with what I need to look out for, and also how I should proceed. Should they get a camera inside the engine?

Surely I have a legal case? What should I do?

This is my very first post, so I apologise if I haven't made sense as I'm currently fuming which is more than the exhausts are doing at the moment.
dose the oil light on dash work / how long to go out

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Ask for black box data in case it records oil pressure, oil temp is recorded.

When was the car collected? I'd want to be there when they pull the sump plug. No oil = new engine from hpc

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would make sure i was with the car when the oil plug is removed to see how much comes out ,
I would also want the oil filter cutting open and inspected for debris,
I would also video it.
The car would have been put under load getting it on to the transporter
I would have thought this would have reduced the engines life considerably.
Not good in any instance,

·
Registered
751 Posts
I would contact Nissan customer services directly about this rather than leaving anything to chance.

30 month is a G1 service, pretty much all they have to do is change the oil and filter - was the work signed off by the GT-R tech?

Actually, if the car warranty is due to expire and the MOT has been completed, shouldn't the service have been a 36 month G2? If so, then that also includes gearbox fluid and differential oil replacement; I'd want proof that all items were covered.

Has the oil filter and sump drain bolt washer been replaced?

Protegimus

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Ask for black box data in case it records oil pressure, oil temp is recorded.

When was the car collected? I'd want to be there when they pull the sump plug. No oil = new engine from hpc
As above I would want to be there and prove that there is no oil in the engine and it had been running! If that was the case I can't see how there hasn't been damage if it was running for a few mins! Just unbelievably stupid from the dealer!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Only when car started is there a quick oil warning message. It says oil keel low. Contact dealer. There were five empty indicators below showing level totally empty.
Then message disappears after about three seconds. Not even a warning triangle on the dash such as when you have low tyre pressure. I you're not looking at the dash when you start the car you'll miss it.
I'll request the black box data. Lets see if they'll give it to me.
Thank you all for the advice.
Luckily it's still covered under the concierge service so only driven on and off the transporter.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Liability probably lies with dealer rather than nissan GB. If they have to replace engine, you could put forward a cheaper engine rebuild from Litchfield or SVM. That would be much cheaper than full engine from Nissan.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I would make sure i was with the car when the oil plug is removed to see how much comes out ,
I would also want the oil filter cutting open and inspected for debris,
I would also video it.
The car would have been put under load getting it on to the transporter
I would have thought this would have reduced the engines life considerably.
Not good in any instance,
You wouldn't do any of that - how many main dealers let the customer into the workshop area? I'm sure they'd quote health and safety

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you all for your advice. The dealer is insisting there was oil in the car and because it was driven down the slope of the transporter the oil in the sump was at the wrong angle for the sensor and the dipstick.
Obviously I have rebutted this by saying over 12hrs elapsed from the transporter to me starting it in my drive, plus the dipstick was dry. Fortunately I still have the swab from the dipstick which I can send for analysis if needed.
I have asked to retain the oil filter for analysis and the 'flicker data' from the black box will be sent to Nissan to analyse.
I shall keep you all updated.
Thank you again.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts