GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove to Wales and back this weekend (doing rallying, hence no Gayden visit). Anyway, on the way there I was running normal Super-unleaded, as always, without octane booster and was running either 1.25bar or 1.45bar, with no problems.

On the way back I couldn't get 97 Octane anywhere, so had to fill with 95 Octane. OK, no problem I thought, I'll stick in a bottle of Octane Booster (I keep a box in the boot in case). I put the full bottle in (as reccomended), thinking that 95 plus Octane Booster must be as good as 97 Octane.

Drving back, on same roads, same conditions as previous drive, I get Power FC flashing the dashboard detonation warning light, every time when running 1.45bar and once when running 1.25bar.

My Unscientific Conclusion: Octane Booster is a waste of time.

I'm sure some people will have reasons to disagree, but the results surprised me a lot and backed up the posts in 'the other octane thread' (mainly from mycroft) that Octane Booster is not all it's cracked up as.

Guy

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Wales is pants for finding Super, its always a worry for me when I go home and off into places where I am not 100% sure of.....where were you rallying?

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
This is often found to be the case, the motor runs OK on 97pump fuel (SUL) but 95 pump fuel with OB (supposedly 100+oct) raises alarm.

Later this year I hope to arrange a small meet at my house and there I will have about 100ltrs of Xylene/redex mix, and I will happily give anyone who wants it some and then you can feel the difference on the way home, if you ain't happy then you can post and slag me off mercilessly.

I'm big enough and uglly enough to take the truth.

What OB were you using?

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
I've _never_ used an octane booster, so i'd be interested in giving this a go.

I don't get the chance to try optimax either - as i'm 10 miles from my nearest optimax outlet, and it's not worth the 20 mile round trip just to get some petrol !

Cheers,
Daz

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
That's real wierd actually.
Usually, I always only fill up on Optimax, but was close to running out today so went for Esso super with a bit of octane booster. My det lights've been flashing all day since.

Cem

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
Blow Dog said:
That's real wierd actually.
Usually, I always only fill up on Optimax, but was close to running out today so went for Esso super with a bit of octane booster. My det lights've been flashing all day since.

Cem
I don't want to make you a 'guinea pig' for this but have you an ELF station near you?, can you get some of that in your tank, but add no more OB?

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Octane Booster

Octane Booster I used was Millers (black bottle), I won't be buying any more of any boosters.

Guy

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Strange....

Guy & Cem,

As you know, the PFC can be set to flash the warn engine light if it detects det above a certain level. This level is preset at 60/100 but can be altered using the FC Pro link. It can also be set to flash (in a different sequence) to warn you of other problems such as your afm's or injectors maxing out.

If both of your PFCs are still at the factory setting and your lights have been flashing, don't you think there's a message there for you? If ever my light flashes, which is rare, I take steps immediately to clear the problem, i.e. lower the boost or retard the ignition, add some fuel to the map or stop driving until it can be sorted rather than carry on and risk damaging the engine..... I certainly wouldn't risk carrying on driving with it flashing.

Only a thought but that function is there for reason and it's not decorative! :)

Peter.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Driving will not be a problem off boost though. You will only get det in boost situations, so if you do detect it there is no reason to stop driving, just drive carefully. So long as you are not operating at high boost you should be fine.

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Peter,
I have an aftermarket det sensor with 6 lights in a row. The louder the feedback, the more lights go up. I had 3 lights yesterday twice.

This happened once before when I had fuel from Donington race circuit. Must be down to quality of fuel.

As for Elf, we don't have any local Elf stations anymore.

Cem

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Cem,

Sorry, I guessed you had the PFC. Not meant to be a 'suck eggs' type post honest!

Anyway, you've obviously got it covered, it's annoying when you pick up a duff tank of fuel isn't it, should be a law against it!

Peter.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Just a thought If your car is set up to one type of Fuel IE Optimax and then you uses another I think you will find that the det light will flash.

You will need to check this with some one that sets the PFC up!

Now I have just rung my friend the Petrol Chemist At Castrol Labs, He is saying that the Oct Boost will help lower the heat in your Engine, He said if you can give the amount of Fuel and Grade and the amount of Oct boost used he will work out what grade of fuel that would be equeale to.

Just remember the unleaded fuel often has Methane bubbled though it to bring the Ron number up and if the fuel is not kept well or Old it will be very low in grade, so even adding Oct Boost will not help But will help the life of your engine

I must say I have never been able to tell any difrence in My Skyline R33 and R34 with Diffrence Supper Unleaded or even adding Oct Boost,

But When I used to run Real fuel 4 Star in My turbo Mazda it ran better returned better MPG and ran cooler

On My Badit 1200 Optimax gave me 3MPH on the top end on the same road and it seamed to be a little quicker of the mark!

All I can say when I run Oct Boost on the track I do it to protect the Engine not for more power! So we will have to wait and see on that one.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Just a thought If your car is set up to one type of Fuel IE Optimax and then you uses another I think you will find that the det light will flash.
My PowerFC was set up for standard SUL, and reports slightly higher det whenever I use Optimax - but it still remains well within limits.

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Seems strange Durzel, the complete opposite of what mine does. Optimax does have a higher octane rating than normal SUL so I wonder why yours should show a higher reading?

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
No idea .. my injectors are near max duty however, and Optimax seems to exacerbate this problem under heavy acceleration - so perhaps the two are related.

Odd really since 444cc injectors should be good for 450 bhp, or 491 bhp in some cases ;)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts