GTR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 33GTR has recently started making a squealing noise on cold start. It lasts for about 30 secs then clears totally with no further problem. Sounds like a belt slipping noise but all are good condition and tensioned OK. Doesn't happen when the car's warm. Any ideas?

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
shine a flashlight onto the belts during a cold start to truly confirm that they aren't slipping. I used to have a lot of trouble getting the alternator belt to stay tensioned.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
As said, either a belt or starter, but if its going for 30seconds and the starter thats quite bad! More likely a belt!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Noise on start-up, Tensioner Pulley??

OK, so done a bit more investigation and it's starting to look like it may be the tensioner pulley down on the bottom right as you look from the front. It tensions the belt that drives the bottom right hand pump (not sure if this is the power steering pump or Air Con pump) and has quite a bit of play on the bearing and can be rocked backwards and forwards a bit with the belt tensioned on it. All this is diagnosed from the top and probably needs a look from underneath to confirm but before I get dirty, I just wondered if anyone else has had this problem and if so where can I get a replacement pulley from?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Unfortunately to remove the aircon belt (to access the tensioner), you have to firstly remove the power steer belt.
I've never found an aftermarket pulley, always had to buy genuine.
A very flimsy construction so I doubt it would take pressing out and replacing the bearing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts