GTR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,as some of you know i'm new to owning a skyline so i'm going to ask this: when my turbo's kick in they make a strange noise like a whirring noise that i have not experienced in other turbo cars is this normal?the car seems fine otherwise.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Venners,

What state of tune is your car in ?

It is normal to hear the induction kit working if you have one but I don't remember hearing a whirring noise when coming on boost with the std car.

let us know the mods and then the chances are someone has the same ones as you and can say for sure.

The induction sound is the same sort of moise as you get in the touring car incar footage on telly. a sort of sssssshhhhhh shushing noise. the dump valves opening sound a bit like a wheelspin according to people who have been in the car. I think it sounds like a dumpvalve. Pshhh.
It is fun making up these words.
at certain throttle settings you can get them to open one after the other as you go up the road. sounds like a steam engine hehe.
hope this helps.

/Steve

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry should have said car is completely standard except for lighten flywheel and nismo racing clutch also k&n panel filter,noise sounds just when coming onto boost but not when idling car performs well runs well emissions are0.01% so engine wise it seems fine its not loud but enough to notice wondered if it could be turbo bearings but no black smoke and emissions fine so don't think it's that but will keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
it could be noise through the induction kit.

Have you been in any other GTR's ? if you are still not sure then take it to someone who knows what they are talking about.

THe turbos in mine are quite easy to hear but it is a difficult sound to describe. It just sounds like turbos. The induction kit itself makes a fair amount of noise and when you let off you hear the recirculating dump valves going as well. so there are lots of things to listen out for.

good luck.

/Steve

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cheers steve i think you may be right about the dump valve it is a similar sound but more whirry than i have been used to but the car can't be to bad as it would'nt run or perform as it does,just thought i'd ask cheers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts