GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Has your cambelt been tensioned propperly . Sound a little tight . I could be wrong gut I can hear a sound there from when I over tightened mine

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did check the belt actually and it doesnt seem too tight.
I'll check it again though, sounds like a possibility.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just loosened the belt and it made no difference, I don't think it was too tight so I put it back.

Has anyone got a view on this, I really need to know if it's serious.

·
Registered
415 Posts
For a better example lol... The Wom Wom Wom noise sounds like the cam belt. Can you twist the cam belt 45 degrees between the tensioner and intake pulley? if not it is too tight. Also the cam belt will tighten when the motor heats up. If it is quiet or quieter on startup and then gets louder as the motor warms it is your cam belt.

·
Registered
415 Posts
rb26dett strange noise - YouTube

Really tight cam belt.

Does not take much to over tighten! I now tighten by the tensioner spring. Rotate the motor twice, then check the tension with the 45 degree method as stated earlier. If it is loose at this point, I add a little extra tension with the tensioner and allen key. My belt when cold has very slight play on the cam pulleys (It slides fore and aft a few mm) but when warm it is tight with no play.

Nate

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeh I use the same method for cam belt tension and I just loosened it off more to be sure. So it's definitely not that, but I will try the other belts.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Mike,

I would loosen the belt more (within reason), but also you can try removing or loosening the accessory belts too to see if the noise goes away. Good on you for investigating and not just pushing on!!!

Nate

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It doesn't seem to be, I just slackened of all the belts and the noise remains.
I'm going to take a good look tomorrow around the pulley and check stuff that might be rubbing.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes I have made some "Progress" :)

I removed all the belts and slackened off the cam belt, ran it up and the noise remained.
I then got underneath to check if there was something touching the crank pulley, and there wasn't.
I then put my listening device (a long screwdriver) to the sump and tried to isolate the sound and it is definitely coming from near the crank pulley.

So I have just fitted a new timing belt and almost at the point where I can start it, so I am really hoping it solves the issue as otherwise I need to start thinking about pump removal :(
The belt is tensioned only with the tensioner spring.

·
Registered
415 Posts
All I hear is the loud ZZZZZZZZ noise as you rev. The wom wom wom belt noise is less but honestly they all have it a little especially with a new belt. What is the ZZZZZ...ZZZZ noise as you rev? Is this the noise you are talking about? How are your pressures? Not too much to go wrong in the pump. If the center gear breaks you lose pressure, if the backing plate loosens you lose pressure, if the gears wear you lose pressure. I may be wrong, but I have not heard of an oil pump making a noise even when broken, usually you just get a loss of oil pressure followed by knock. Do you have a bypassing oil cooler? Can you "feel" the noise in the oil cooler lines?

Nate

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes mate, that's the noise.
It definitely wasn't there 60 miles ago, initially I wondered if it is normal for a hks pump to be a little noisy.

Do you think that is to be expected?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Now that I think about it I recall my engine to be quite noisy aswell.
First I thought that it maybe was the non OEM belt but I do have a hks oil pump. But I've driven a thousand kilometers or so with it.
Unfortunately I can't start it up at the moment to double check due to lack of water pump...

·
Registered
415 Posts
Mike,

Have you checked your timing belt pulleys? It sounds like a dry idler or tensioner bearing. I thought the noise you were worried about was the wom wom noise! I asked about the "ignition" type noise previously in a PM, but I feel "ignition" may have been the wrong word.

I cant say I have ever heard a pump make that noise, or any noise to be honest. I have heard the pulley bearings make it, especially if not new and even if they are, there is still a chance to get a bad one. Also an over tightened timing belt can cause them to fail over a short period. If you spin one it should be nice and quiet and have a bit of drag. Worn/overheated ones make the lose bearing noise and seem to spin a bit easier. Also another reason I feel it is not the pump is for a better word, the noise sounds "external".

Next, if the oil pressure is really high, I would check to see if the clicking is not the pump bypassing or if you have a bypassing "thermostatic" oil cooler. Make sure it isn't bypassing causing the noise. Sounds funny, but it is quite common. In some instances you can feel the noise in the oil cooler lines. Also, if the cooler lines are backwards it may cause a clicking noise (oil pressure hitting the bypass valve from the wrong side), but you should have heard this from the start I would think. Lastly, check to make sure the oil cooler core is not clogged.

My best guess from the video is the idler or tensioner bearings. Make sure the tensioner bolt is not backing out or bending/failing.

Get your listening device! lol, and place the tip on the tensioner bolt and listen, then the idler, then the pump. This should tell you exactly where the noise is or is not from. The sump tends to amplify noises from other areas of the motor.

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/166480-rb26-winding-noise.html Just wanted to post up this thread so you can see how loose the timing belt may have to be on certain setups. It is a lot looser than most think. You may even need to take tension off of the tensioner.

Keep me posted

Nate

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Now that I think about it I recall my engine to be quite noisy aswell.
First I thought that it maybe was the non OEM belt but I do have a hks oil pump. But I've driven a thousand kilometers or so with it.
Unfortunately I can't start it up at the moment to double check due to lack of water pump...
Brains, I would really love to think that it's just normal. It would be good to know for sure but it's not subtle.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts