GTR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've just has an ap clutch fitted to my R33 and the box seems noticeably more noisy than before,however i've not had the car long and the clutch was well knackered when i got it,hence i'm not sure what it should sound like with a proper working clutch.i used motul synth gear oil and replaced the transer box oil with mobil dexron2.it occasionally baulks 3rd to 4th(sic) and in gears is fine, its noisiest in neutral with a rotating metallic sound.should i be worried?thanks john.

·
Registered
961 Posts
maybe

it might be the gear linkedge
it might not be the same as a fiesta but when we put a new clutch in the gear linkedge needed ajusting eg; we could only get 1 an 4 and was in the wrong place and very scratchy sounding but after a bit of fiddeling it works perfectly

.just a susgestion ;)

·
Registered
997 Posts
Gears & clutch

I think you should phone one of the Skyline Garages for expert help on your problem.

Good luck,
Henry:smokin:

G

·
0 Posts
It's the AP clutch. Multi-plate clutchs seem to cause alot more noise to emanate from the gearbox. They seem to send vibrations that seem to rattle everything. I had the same with my R33 GTS25T gearbox. After removing the OS twin plate and refitting the original clutch, the noise disappeared.

You'll probably find that the higher rotating mass of the multiplate clutches makes you have to wait a touch longer before shifting into 1st gear straight after you push the clutch in whilst at a standstill. Whatever you do, don't force it. Wait an extra second or two, otherwise you'll wear the synchros prematurely.

Gerard

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Useful information on multi-plate clutches. That is why you have to pause between gear changes then. Mine rattles a bit but it goes away with clutch depressed. The motto here is if an expert listens to it, they will know if the noise is anything to worry about or just caused by the clutch. Don't compare the cars noises to ordinary cars.

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
John,

The AP clutch isn't a multi plate. I would think that by your description, the noise in neutral is more likely to be a thrust bearing problem. Did they replace this when fitting the new clutch as the AP kit doesn't come with one?

Peter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts