GTR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After about 3 years of waiting, convincing (and unconvincing), salivating and saving, I will be taking delivery of a MY13 black GTR come the end of next month. I cannot ******* wait!

I'm based in Spain and they are fairly rare over here, at least to get your hands on a clean one is difficult enough. This one has 7k kms on it and is about as pristine as you can get to be honest.

The previous owner was about 50 and obsessed over it. His weekend jaunts consisted of a spin down the port in Puerto Banus and home. No track visits and little to raise an eyebrow about.

I had it in with the Nissan guys where the car was bought and they said it was squeaky clean (they are not the sellers mind you). When I asked about max transmission temps they said no more than 160 degrees. Does this add up do you reckon?

There is not a mark on the car, nor the wheels. It is genuinely spotless.

It has a HKS resonated midpipe and an EcuTek upgrade. Does anyone have any feedback on either. I suppose the first question I would have is what stage tune would be typical with the mid pipe upgrade also added. I think you need filters also for a stage 2 no?? If it is a stage 1, what sort of bhp would you be looking at with the pipe and tune given it is 550 stock? 600 perhaps?

Also, when did Nissan change the wheels from 7 spoke to 10 spoke. I cannot say which ones I prefer to be honest.

I reckon I may have a few height clearance issues getting the car into the garage. I had an E92 M3 beforehand and that got in alright. Are there any previous M3 owners on here that could send on some measurements, such as front lip, rear overhang, ground clearance etc. Is it near enough the same in terms of height or is it vastly different? I have read up a number of posts on here and it seems that it is comparable but I suppose I will only find out when I try and drive it into the garage

Also, given it is my first GTR, compared to the M3, what are peoples thoughts in terms of performance and as an all-round car to live with?

Have to say, I could do with a time machine now, it will be the longest 4 weeks on record!

Dave

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
You can use panel filters, which will get you close to 600 :) if its similar to the 2010 model... consider the changes, it might break 600 ;)

EcuTek is very good, but will entirely depend on the person that mapped it. Do you know who the mapper was?

2010 model was the last one to have the 7 spoke I believe.

Congrats and enjoy! Post some pics once you have picked it up :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've no idea who did the EcuTek tune Graham. According to the website there is only one official dealer in Spain and that is in Madrid so I suppose it was there. I need to find out.

I'm not really into making savage bhp with the car, at least not at the moment. If it was about the 600 to 650 mark I would be perfectly happy with that.

But again, I emphasise, "for the moment"!!

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
I've no idea who did the EcuTek tune Graham. According to the website there is only one official dealer in Spain and that is in Madrid so I suppose it was there. I need to find out.

I'm not really into making savage bhp with the car, at least not at the moment. If it was about the 600 to 650 mark I would be perfectly happy with that.

But again, I emphasise, "for the moment"!!
If the map is good (IE. no issues) then dont worry about it until you want to change this. Next step is intakes, fuel injectors and possibly downpipes all require a remap. The expensive bit is the ECUTek licenses, but you already have them.

As it is, I would expect 580-600, maybe....Most can do remote mapping if you have the ECUTek cable, so you have a wide choice of mappers :)

Try not to worry about the power figure too much (slippery slope) and just enjoy the car. You plan on taking it on the track?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Graham, when you say remote mapping, what exactly are you referring to? I do have the ECUTek cable alright (so I am led to believe).

Silly question but how can you determine if the map has no issues? If the car drives and feels right I asssume the map is good no?

I would not be doing any further mods on it so injectors, DPs etc will not be added.

I doubt I will be tracking it to be honest. I may take it up to Ronda at some stage but it will most likely be a once off affair.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A little update on this.

Looks like I am picking up the car tomorrow. The original owner does not have the ECUTek cable. I dont think this is a big deal.

In terms of the ProECU offered by ECUTek/Litchfield, I am very interested in this if it allows remote mapping.

Does anyone have any further info on this or ahve they used it??

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Not a big deal, they are not that expensive, a little over £200 I think, been some time since I bought mine.

You capture all the data from the ECU in a file and that file is then sent back to the mapper. The map is tweaked and you upload the new map..... and repeat until the mapper and you are 100% happy.

Not the best way of doing things, BUT its very good when you dont have a local mapper or when you have issues with the car, easy to log data and send over to mapper.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Welcome aboard bet you can't wait until tomorrow.
As Graham has already said the Ecutek cable is well worth getting especially for the price. Makes it very simple for diagnosing issues.

Please post pics :)

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
I do hope that's 160 degree Fahrenheit. 160 Celsius is very high.

In the UK - wheel design came in with DBA model which was mar 11. I much prefer the later 10 spokes. I didn't previously.

Power wise it is a significant step up from an M3. You won't be dissapointed. It also makes for a very usable everyday car.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
I do hope that's 160 degree Fahrenheit. 160 Celsius is very high.

In the UK - wheel design came in with DBA model which was mar 11. I much prefer the later 10 spokes. I didn't previously.

Power wise it is a significant step up from an M3. You won't be dissapointed. It also makes for a very usable everyday car.
I would assume so, since most of us would have a panic attack at 130 degrees C.

The only downside to everyday use IMO is the width of the car (especially here in the UK) most roads and parking areas are just not designed with a car of this size in mind.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the information everyone.

The transmission temps are not a problem. I had the NHPC guy confirm it to me.

As it turns out, it will be Friday before I pick it up as I cannot make it tomorrow.

Am I right in saying I simply hook the laptop with ECUTek cable up to the car with some special software on the laptop and download the txt file? That is a pretty awesome facility to be able to do that remotely.

I've been waiting for this week since mid September. Genuinely cannot wait to pick this thing up!

The size is a bit of a problem as it is a wide car in terms of the actual body of it. It is narrower by about 90mm than the M3 when you include wing mirrors but its a monster nonetheless.

Adamantium, I definitely prefer the 10 spokes also. Glad to hear it is a good step up on the M3. What annoyed me most about the M3 was getting the traction. Over here with the greasy roads it skated all over the place even with spanking Michelin PSs on it.

Pics will come very soon. As soon as I get it :)

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
Ignore the wing mirror dimensions, the car is much wider than an M3 and crucially it is square at the back and high.

Its volume is much greater than the BMW. I have a small parking bay which is bounded on each side by a solid wall.

I was able to reverse the M3 right into it using the mirrors to see me clear of the walls. The GTR was not even close to being capable of the same.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Adamantium, I am in the same situation. I have a bay that is 2.5 metres in width. The M3 fit in reasonably snug, and I hope the GTR fits in equally snug. Obviously the big difference is that the car is all body and little wing mirror but I am thinking it wont be a massive deal to get it in. Did you notice it that much bigger? I measured the width with the door open at the first "notch" and the width was 2.45 metres This being the case I am hoping the car will fit in. It's tight, but I reckon it will fit.

Any reassuring words will make me feel better though :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts