GTR Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
@projer

I have a 2019 RS3 as my daily. 400hp very capable car....... if I give that boot of a roundabout up to the speed limit its just a bit meh. It goes don't get me wrong, but it just doesn't do it in a way that excites. I tool the R32 out the other day, its running 450ish hp and its just feels like it has a lot more. LOVE IT!!!
Yeh that's my main bugbear with a lot of modern cars really. They're a bit too refined. Testament to how technology has improved over the years, but not really my cup of tea.

·
Premium Member
6,218 Posts
This place is much more chequebook than diy these days!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
This place is much more chequebook than diy these days!
Yeh I imagine. Dont get me wrong, I've done the greasy bits, I just dont get as much enjoyment from it as some people do. The one that immediately springs to mind was a complete engine and gearbox swap on a fiesta on my driveway over the course of a weekend with a couple of mates.

Sense of achievement sure but I definitely prefer driving the things than pulling them apart :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hiya. Again thanks for taking the time to respond. To cover off a few of the things you mention:

• Yep aware the lower start point power-wise on the GTSt would mean more mods, so potentially not as trouble-free, though I guess the purchase cost difference would cover a fair bit of trouble :)
  • No interest in doing massive powersliding or burnouts etc.
  • I know I don't want an R35, for the reason you, others, and myself mentioned....I've never been in one, I'm sure they're amazing, but they're too capable for what I'm after.
  • I wouldn't skimp on the basics. I'm used to owning/running old cars so nothing particularly new there, and I wouldn't be considering something like this if I couldn't keep up with running it, even though my stated purchase budget is a big stretch (mentally and actually), so if I can get something I'm after for less, I will.

I'm interested in your personal reasoning on why you prefer the way the 32 drives? I know it's of course a preference thing, but nice to hear people thoughts/opinions regardless.

Thanks again.
I guess it's just a smaller car and feels correspondingly more nimble. Compared to a 34 you are talking 150odd kgs and some difference in actual wheelbase and track. The 33 feels a bit longer and unwieldly and the 34 just sort of made the extra bulk less noticable (along with being made shorter than the 33), so for me the 33 loses out.... Then again, you'll find people tend to like either a 32 and 34, or a 33 so I guess that means the 33 isn't worse it's just different. Totally ignoring looks. A real specific little niggle here for me but the standard steering wheel itself feels odd in a 33 compared to the others, whether it's position or a function of the car or the shape I have no idea. Could probably be improved with a small amount of cash and effort but I've not experimented. More sidewall on smaller wheels (actual wheels, not the one for your hands) for the 32 also just makes it more friendly. A 32 on 16s or option 17s with a proper highish profile tyre is a better time on UK bumpy s*****y roads than 18s on the later cars, again only in my experience. Less all-out performance and more about making good time on a B road without being thrown around by the camber and ruts and potholes. You wouldn't regularly push a 500+hp anything on a B road unless you had a deathwish, but for me a standard 32 is just about as good as you can get simply because it's got all the GTR 4wd goodness in the lightest smallest package and still isn't trying to kill you with power. Like a nice early 2000s evo or sti but without the constant 4wd understeery pushy vibe. Also love a good evo, incidentally. Try drive a 32 then a 33 and see what you reckon, probably my comments RE size apply just as well to a gtst as to a gtr of either of them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought my R33 GTR 5 year back now, my only advice it's to thoroughly check the struts, front arches on the bulkhead side in behind the arch liners, rear of the sills and arches and the boot floor, lift everything up and prod it if you can because I ended up with a very expensive colander of a car which has so far taken me 3 years to carry out repairs on and I'm finally near the end of the project of saving this gtr from the scrapman. Best of luck with the buy!

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
I had a diesel 3ltr 330, a very different beast to any GTT/GTR. As others have said an R32 GTR with a mild upgrade to 400BHP is what you want and will hold its value. An R35 GTR you can get for 35K but you will need to find an unmolested one. I currently have an R32 GTR so I'm biased but I have had an R33 GTR (watch for strut rust) and R35 from new in 08

21 - 26 of 26 Posts