GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a thread on tuning about NOS on Skylines, but it finished without answering the initial question!

Anyone had any experience with it and knowledge of ballpark costings etc...

Let's blow this out in the open!

Andrew

:smokin:

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
end to the thread

I have massive experience with NOS, what you are best doing is not looking at the instructions, dont fit the 50hp jet, buy the 250hp jet and go for broke.
Will give you the buzz you desire for about half a second:D :p :smokin:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dirk,

Any ideas on the approximate cost for a kit to get me started, e.g. parts and expense?

Andrew

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
costs

I could set you up a system for about 6K including fitting, me and Paul GTR34 have just started installations, PM Paul for details though, I just operate the spanners.

·
Registered
201 Posts
[Depends what sort of NOS you want. I had a 75bhp Highpower kit on my old Celica - cost of kit is c £500. Fitting is relatively easy - t into fuel, foggers in front of inlet manifold. Or get a highpower dealer to fit it for c£200.

This is a throttle activated system that can be fitted with a progressive controller for another C£250, more details can be seen at their site http://www.highpower.freeserve.co.uk/ .

I think Abbey have some experience of the Venom Nitrous kits - an ECU controlled kit - expensive and have heard a few bad reviews.

www.nosnitrous.com is another major player - high quality stuf with lots of users - no idea as to installation difficulty - costs probabaly 500-1000.

If you have an aftermarket ecu or controller that will run extra injectors then you should be able to use it to run any solenoid based system.

hth

Iain

·
Registered
312 Posts
Works Fine!

Hi Guys,

Having had a chat with a mate of mine from Leeds that has a white R33, he commented that the High power setup on his car works very well and the only problems he has experienced is the car "eating" clutch's until he installed a Nismo Single...

Couple of pints to remember with Nitrous though, is do not run Projected nose cone plugs, and do not switch Nitrous on if car has a misfire otherwise "BANG"!!!

Most Nitrous kits however are used on American motors where "cubic inchs" are king! and the engine can take the extra "kick" no bother....

Maybe we should start a seperate thread asking which of the board members actually have NOS on their cars and some feedback...;)

All The Best

Stu

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers Iain,

Had a look on HighPower's site and I think I'll go for one of their MegaBlast units - between 550 & 630 inc VAT.

An extra 200 BHP over 10 seconds??? Yes Please!!!!

Top speed on my car isn't a problem - it's just getting there that takes time!

I think I'll to invest in some wider wheels to handle the accelleration though...

Drew

·
Registered
201 Posts
100+BHP NOS

If you're going over 75bhp NOS then your have to install a progressive controller - otherwise dumping 100-150bhp into the engine in one go is very bad.

The controller is only 250 if you're going the highpower route, a fair bit cheaper than an engine rebuild. It's also worthwhile fitting a regulator into the fuel line to be able to tune the NOS/Fuel ratio for max power/safety.

Get the set up tuned finally on a RR with a proper wide band o2 sensor - get the mix wrong and bye bye pistons

I may reinvest in NOS again as I cant afford the £3k+ to add another 100-150bhp.

if you go for it do enjoy

Iain

·
Registered
312 Posts
Agreed

I agree wholy heartedly with Iain's comments as turbo charged cars with NOS act differently to normally aspirated motors due to in main the "cooling" effect of the NOS be sprayed in at such a low temp..
On a turbo charged car is you have a 25 bhp NOS jet then you can expect aroun 47-50 bhp gain...
Also the NOS jet and Petrol jets in the actual venom injectors are different and can be properly sourced from Wizard os Nos etc i.e for 150 bhp Nitrous jet you require 60 bhp petrol jet etc...

I have "absorbed" all this NOS info from regularly attending NSCC drag meets, and drinking until we can't stand up with the drivers!!!;) Very Nice bunch of people though!!;)

If proper used etc it is probably one of the best value for £££ power increase available for any turbo charged motors!!

Cheers

Stu

1 - 12 of 12 Posts