GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like another turbo problem on my car. Same problem as happened with the last GT-SS's ... up on boost and it SCREAMS a loud whistle sound.

F*** sake. I've driven the car something like 5 times in the past 3 months .... gave it 30+ mins before I opened the throttle up properly today and it breaks.

I give up.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Looks like another turbo problem on my car. Same problem as happened with the last GT-SS's ... up on boost and it SCREAMS a loud whistle sound.

F*** sake. I've driven the car something like 5 times in the past 3 months .... gave it 30+ mins before I opened the throttle up properly today and it breaks.

I give up.
my heart goes out to you :( :sadwavey:

i've had mine 20 months and done 900 miles and four ramps and a bodyshop

it could be worse, you could have a saxo!

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not very happy to be honest - I don't have the cash to fix these kinds of problems. I thought choosing GT-SS turbo's I'd be safe in the knowledge they'd last ... and this is the 2nd set I've had fail. The car is WELL looked after - warmed up properly, warmed down properly and I've done SOD ALL miles in it really.

Look at this info I've just looked up on how much I've actually used the car:

19-05-'05 - Mileage = 104243 (taken from MOT certificate)

20-07-'05 - GT-SS's replaced - Mileage = 104932

01-06-2006 - Mileage = 106849 (taken from MOT certificate) - so just over 2600 miles in a YEAR.

12-11-2006 - Turbo problem - Mileage = 107297. So I've done just under 450 miles in 5 MONTHS !! (i.e. hardly driven the car) and now I think the GT-SS's have failed again.

You would expect a set of HKS turbo's to last more than 2365 miles ! (and most of them would have been "cruising" miles).

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What was diagnosed before?
I can't remember the cause of the original failure. Abbey were exceptional as always and replaced them under warranty (they were only around 6 months old when the first ones let go). The first set were making the same kind of noises as what these ones are now making.

·
Registered
826 Posts
im having the same bother screaming etc its the bearings m8 (my turbo is knackered)

thats two sets of turbos in seven days :(

mine looks like oil starvation.

i will post a full description later.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
They are very fussy about the amount of metal particals in the oil. Do you use a micron oil filter in the oil feed line? I bet that would stop most of the roller bearing failures.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Very unlucky Daz, i bought my turbo's from Mark Biggers, his car was drag raced many times, ive since raced it myself so the turbo's have been thoroughly 'tested' as it were.

What boost are you running through them?

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
hi guys, not sure if its relevant to gt-ss turbo,s but when i bought my 25/30,s from japan they did not have any banjo,s for the oil/water. so i thought no probs will use mine, but before fitting i spoke to mark @ abbey. he recomended this mod first. take banjo bolts for oil feed.these are 5.98mm i/d normally. i then tapped the inside of these and screwed in a bolt until it bottomed out, making sure it did not go so far as to block the oil feed holes. i then sawed the bolt of flush and drilled the centre to 1.6mm. this is because as andy has said roller bearings are very fussy they need just enough oil.and 5.98mm would cause the seals to blow very soon after fitting. mine have done 2200 miles now at 1.3bar no probs. may be relevant no sure.bernie.

419 Posts
Turbos again?

Not neccessarily. Lets have a look first. You should have been a women Daz, Moaning before you know.

For your information the 1st failure was caused by a piece of the spring inside the induction hose damaging the compressor wheel. Nothing to do with the turbo failing because of faulty manufacture etc.

The problem now could be metal ingress or anything ,after all the car is 16 yrs old and done 100,000 plus miles that we can vouch for and never had the sump off.

I think you should point out that it hasnt had much use because you have chosen not to drive it ,not that it wasnt useable.

Tony

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tony - yes, you are completely correct ... it has not been used much out of my choice (not wanting to use it as a daily driver to work and back each day), not because it wasn't useable.

Thanks also for clarifying the cause of the first problem - i genuinely couldn't remember and I was hoping you'd see this thread so you could clarify for me. I'm not saying that the cause is the same this time - I'm just somewhat gutted that I think i've had a 2nd turbo failure in about a year.

I've made the assumption about what could be wrong simply because it sounds EXACTLY the same as when I had the problem with the first set. VERY loud screaming whine when it's on boost. I would be delighted if it wasn't the problem, but I am (for now) assuming the worst.

You should have been a women Daz, Moaning before you know.

You are probably correct ... but then, I have absolutely no mechanical skills at all, and as soon as something goes wrong that could potentially cost a shed load of money (that I don't have) then I tend to worry about how I'm going to get it fixed. Being a Sunday I couldn't get on the phone to you to discuss the problem ... so I thought I'd come on here, have a moan ( :D ) and see if anyone had any useful input.

I would like to state for the record that my disappointment is NOT with Abbey or the quality of their work (in-case anyone was thinking that). As far as I am concerned they are the best in the business - and I just want to clarify that before anyone starts to think otherwise.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
im having the same bother screaming etc its the bearings m8 (my turbo is knackered)

thats two sets of turbos in seven days :(

mine looks like oil starvation.

i will post a full description later.
You need to look at what is causing the failure as it is probably like the above - oil starvation in some form that may not be directly connected to the make/model of turbo.

One of the oldest problems is not hand turning the engine when new turbos are fitted for the first time so for the first few seconds of their life they run dry which kills them a few thousand miles later (I'm sure Abbey know to do this).

Wrong viscosity of oil is another good one.

No proper cool down after a fast run.

Something blocking either proper oil flow or some pressure is building stopping free oil flow drain.

I would not directly blame the turbos if others have used them successfully in the past.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
the only time I've gotten a screaming whistling sound was when a turbo began to separate from the exhaust flange. A tiny airspace opened up with the gasket gone, and when lots of exhaust gas would go through, some of it would also blow out the crack between the turbo flange and exhaust flange, thereby causing a screaming whistle. Worth a check, and it may not hurt either to check if your flanges are perfectly dead flat, or if a little skimming is called for.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi.

I have a high pitch sound from my GT3037R, it's always bin there. sounds like a Jet plane

you can hear it here (Red R33 GTS), first time at 50sec, 2.03min, 2.30min and at 2.58 min in to the clip:Japsetreffet 2006 Datsun Drift Edition - Google Video

is it some thing like this your car sounds like to Daz?

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I would much rather feel a bit foolish

And have a minor problem dealt with before it turned serious, than be very english and quiet and have an industrial strength hole in my bank account.

That being said Daz, I know your car and your recent history and I think thee and me will be heartily glad to see that back of 2006.

You must come out for a night flight with me when your missile is home. Nothing like racing the moonlight home to make you know your car is the only thing that fits.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts