GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thanks to Andy Wilkes of Performance Parts Ltd who are the UK importers of Akrapovic Exhausts for the review loan of one of their amazing titianium GT-R exhaust systems.

I saw and heard Alex (Evolution)'s system at the Nurburgring in October and was impressed, but you really have to see the whole system and the way it's made to get the full picture.

Incredibly light, I couldn't believe how I could pick up a 5 foot long section almost with two fingers!

The welds are pure art and I love the mandrel bending (very rare for a titanium system). Look at the design and engineering that went into the support brackets!

I had the system fitted by my old friends at Autofficina in Chessington who normally work on Ferraris and Lamborghinis. Peter Ward did some superb engineering work on Godzilla 1 back in the day. He's a perfectionist who is not easily impressed and has worked with loads of F1 exhaust fabricators, but he said the Akrapovic was flat out the best "off the shelf" system he had ever seen.

The fitment was perfect and actually easier to install than the stock system was to take off.

All you can see is some subtly bigger tips, but the sound is smooth, refined and powerful. Slightly quieter in fact than my Milltek Y-pipe/stock cat-back combo.

But the amazing thing is, I could instantly tell it had freed up the breathing of the stock turbos!
Low end response is massively improved, for instance at 40mph in 4th gear, 2000rpm, a mere tickling of the throttle produced instant, massive grunt, (running of course the existing custom WG3 GTC/Thistle tune on the Cobb).

The car will be going back to Surrey Rolling Road as soon as Charlie can fit it in to see how many horses it has released, but I bet the area under the curve has noticeably increased.

I will see if I can upload some video clips in due course, but suffice it to say, I am very, very impressed.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Don't think Santa will stretch this far in out household. That is one of the smartest system I have seen to date.

·
Registered
203 Posts
That looks real quality David, I look forward to seeing the results from the dyno. Is it much more expensive than other titanium zorsts ? Also any chance of getting some sound clips in due course.
Andy

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is expensive, not helped by the weak Pound of course, £4240 plus VAT.

But I have to say it is so beautifully made it is almost criminal to stick it under a car!
Judging by Alex's sound level readings, not only will it allow Godzilla 2 to get onto any UK tracks, there may even be headroom to allow the fitting of (catted?) downpipes in the future where most systems would be rendered too loud.

Akrapovic are renown for making the systems for most of the MotoGP teams and other bike racing championships and also make sport and race systems for 911s and M3s.

Their literature says the GT-R system knocks 17.3kg off the weight and adds at least 17hp and 51Nm compared to a standard system on a standard car without retuning.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Glad everything worked out for you...David.

Thats a really nice Christmas present,i have installed a few of them now and everybody was so happy....its expensive,yes,but you´ll get a lot for your money,a real quality,high class exhaust system which doesn´t drone inside:clap:

Now the GTR sounds like it should have sounded from the factory...like a true Supersportscar ;)

Best regards
Alex

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glad everything worked out for you...David.

Thats a really nice Christmas present,i have installed a few of them now and everybody was so happy....its expensive,yes,but you´ll get a lot for your money,a real quality,high class exhaust system which doesn´t drone inside:clap:

Now the GTR sounds like it should have sounded from the factory...like a true Supersportscar ;)

Best regards
Alex
Yeah thanks for the intro Alex, I feel this may cost me a lot of money when my loan period expires in 6 months time! :thumbsup:

It doesn't drone as such, but there is still some resonance at about 2500rpm but not as much as the Milltek which didn't bother me anyway.

Did yours get louder as it "coked up"?
I feel this may be one system you could partner with a well made downpipe and not be too loud.

Oh and Merry Christmas to you and the missus!

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
david, these ramps on these pics ?

are they situated on the rubber blocks ?

or have they compramised ?

ie using the arms instead of discs to lift it ?

·
Registered
26,782 Posts
looks smart, fitting aftermarket exhausts is always nice to hear and feel the difference

bit expensive though as the MINES one is cheaper

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
david, these ramps on these pics ?

are they situated on the rubber blocks ?

or have they compramised ?

ie using the arms instead of discs to lift it ?
The car was lifted on rubber blocks as usual.
Does anyone know if the little metal dome attached to the diffuser below the diff is a jacking point for a trolley jack?
Obviously we did not need to use that yesterday but it would be useful to know.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Really nice looking David, I'm really toying with the idea of getting one too (need to see that with the missus as she thinks Ben's Y-Pipe is a hair too loud).

When I jacked up my car on the lift we had one arm slightly touching the side sills, we had to add rubber blocks as the discs weren't high enough, so I understand you didn't have that problem?

And yes the little metal dome is the rear support and jacking point, it's actually going to depress the diffuser a bit before touching right on the diff, so my HPC told me to go slowly until it touches.

Great exhaust!
Merry Xmas to all!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Congratulations are "de rigueure" here

but but but

we need a smiley with " WE NEED a SOUND CLIP"

·
Registered
968 Posts
I will have one of those too. Hope my Slovenian connection can ease the pain a bit. Expensive but the best. Got for xmas an Akrapovich jacket. Would have prefered the exhaust....

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
bit expensive though as the MINES one is cheaper
you get what you pay for,the mines exhaust is nice,but can´t be compared to the Akrápovic...dont think the mines tailpipes suit the R35,they suit the R34 much better...

Akrápovic : Mines = 1:0 ;)

1 - 20 of 64 Posts