GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ive been hearing a bit of noise from the gearbox after buying my 32 gtr but ive hardly used it in the last year due to it being in the spray shop for most of that so upon its return i decided to try a quick launch after borrowing a frinds driftbox timer. I let the clutch up to pull off and felt the clutch slipping ...i dipped the clutch then tried again and the car did pull off but not without more slipping....pulled the car over and a mate removed the front bumper so we could tow it home (damn useless towing eye on therse meant that removal of the splitter may still cause damage with a bar) im suspecting that the clutch release beainrg is shot and/or ive cooked the clutch so im trying to decide what too get next.

i want something rated for 500 hp or more as i have 343hp and plane to mod to around 450-500 and dont want the hassle of this happening again. problem is im not rich at the moment as if i had the money i would get the nismo super coppermix but at around 1300 pounds thats a deffinate no.

does anyone know of a good clutch kit maybe that includes a lightened flywheel that will hold that level of tune and not cost a fortune.

i have a 1993 car so i assume its the pull type clutch.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
was thinking of this type (http://www.nismo.co.jp/en/products/competition/clutch/sctwin.html) or an os giken ts2b i think it was.....any opinions on how the os giken twin clutch feels compared to the nismo as i here thr tripple plate one is very harsh on idle etc.

i dont have huge power as its been dynoed at 343 flywheel hp but i do plan for around 450-500 eventually so im thinking the single plate nismo coppermix is not going to be up to the job so i guess im looking at the twin plate version in the link above or the os giken twin plate or similar.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Have a lookout for a used Nismo twin plate jobbie. They can be picked up for much less than a new one, stick in some new plates and away you go. That's what I did when the pennies were tight.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cheers ill look out for one...how much are the plates to replace and were did you order them from please.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Cant remember exact price, think it was around £200 for a pair of plates from RHD Japan, and £250 for the worn out Nismo clutch & flywheel. Much cheaper than buying new.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have an exedy organic in my 33 and cant speak highly enough of it.

It holds the power perfectly no trouble putting it down, I dont have any problems cutting out at lights either, if I let it slip too much it just grips but the car goesnt cut.
I can nearly start the car in 1st gear and the clutch just bits and pulls off... so

coincidently on of the traders have just posted a deal on the organic clutches.

maybe someone else with butter understanding can give you more info.

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/164728-now-stocking-exedy-clutches-forum-deal.html

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
paddle in my gtr ive just bought running around 400 hp atm it is very on / off switch compared to a multi plate but they need to be else it would slip and ruin it very quick, a good clutch though and alot cheaper than multiplate but harder to live with.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cheers for the feedback....lots to consider there thanks.

i dont suppose anyone knows of a garage in suffolk that can fit a clutch well that wont make a mess of jacking the car up and crushing the sills or fitting it badly etc etc.

i use to have a great mechanic to use but he closed up so now im stuck.....ideally someone who doesnt charge premium tuner rates too would be great :chuckle:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
very tempted with a nsimo coppermix but im not entirely sure how much to spend on one or where best to source one....its gonna take a bit to raies the funds but would a single plate one be up to the job or should i spring for the twin (at quite a jump in price mind)

allso what prices and what clutches would others recommend....at this point price is a big factor. ive looked for a secondhand nismo one but so far am awaiting info from one chap and still looking for new ones just in case.

i dont want to run anything nasty and stock but im just looking for a cost effective way of getting my r32 gtr running without the risk of it going again once i up the power.

i know the obvious comments would likely be spend more and get better but after the respray i dont have means to splash a lot of cash at the mo and i wanted to start using my car now the good weather is hopefully on its way soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts