GTR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hi Steveline and welcome on this wonderfull board!:smokin:

I Know how difficult is to buy a car like this .... In my case i was very lucky to find a really nice car at the first try with the help of this board and Mark from Abbey Motorsport :smokin:

I Know some sellers don't have the same idea of immaculate or perfect condition than buyer... :eek::confused::chuckle:

I had no bad surprise on my car... Only good ones... Some minor details to correct but i think it's ok on a 10 years old car....

I wish you good luck for the end of your rebuild... And don't hesitate to ask help here... There's lots of helpfull people... :bowdown1:
Thanks chap,

I was seeking help from Scott as-well. And the car i should probably have bought sold for more than the asking price, on the very day Abbey were supposed to do a pre inspection, just to check there were know nasty surprise's, i couldn't get back!! No fault of Abbey of-course, must have bee a good one!! After that the only car they would recommend at the time was a very nice looking Bayside Blue import for about 26ish. I really needed a genuine UK car.

Its quite funny your car is almost my twin, and i seam to be following you step by step with all the upgrades with similar ideas and solutions. I believe that these cars are high maintains, and from reading and researching more and more, it seams that at 10 years old, certain parts need attention and replacing, and its easy to get sucked into upgrades and personalisation (lets face it thats what theses cars are all about anyway!) it would be nice to have found a car without any millage that had always been garaged and never driven with spirt by an expert gear changer!!lol But thats unrealistic, and i want to build car i can drive and enjoy, not just a museum peace.

How is your box holding up? What fluid are you using?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
More updates for those that are interested, Happy New Year too you all, i hope Santa brought you all what you wanted!! Its been a quite few weeks as we have been away over the festive break and i have know what stage of dismantle my car is at!!

The ride felt firm and well planted maybe a little bumpy, but i have been driving a 740I sport for the last 2 years (all be it on Eibach suspension!) so i thought i wouldn't need to touch it. The only thing i wasn't happy with was body roll, and during the journey home it developed a steering wheel wobble at 70-80mph (quite common with the heavy bimmers! control arm bushes.)

A quick crawl underneath revelled the culprit!!

So with the help of Elitetech again we are in the process of overhauling the suspension components! First step Tein Monoflex coilovers with EDFC.

This is the only picture i have at the moment.

Eltech will provide there front adjustable control arms as these are adjustable whilst on the car and they have been working on a solution for the rear end, i'm only looking for about a 20mm drop but even so the camber will be out of factory spec with the standard arms! Below is a copy of there email.

Steve,

As promised, I've modelled the R34 rear suspension system and examined the camber change through suspension stroke.
As you can see, when the suspension is in 20mm of bump (the equivalent of lowering the cars posture by 20mm), the camber change from initial posture is -0.5643 degrees.
(In the model I set the initial camber as zero for simplification, as we are only interested in camber change through bump travel)

As the adjustment on the car is a maximum of 0.5 degrees, this means it's touch and go whether the rear cancer can be brought back exactly into Nissan spec.
Gareth and I discussed a countermeasure and we're going to study the possibility to add further camber adjustment to the vehicle, using similar method to our front links.
This should do the trick nicely!
We'll send you an update in the future, so I wouldn't go buying the nismo link set just yet, as we will be able to fit the nismo bushes into our modified links.

Cheers,
Ian

Best Regards
Ian & Gareth

LHD GTR
Elitetech Automotive

Tel: +44 1280 823641
Mob: +44 7598 399942
Web: Elitetech Automotive:: Home of the left hand drive Nissan Skyline GT-R
E-mail: [email protected]
Twitter: @LHD_GTR

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
As promised, a couple of shoots i have of some of the "Immaculate" parts of the car!! these wernt so explained well in the description!!!

Carelessness in my opinion! Dose anybody have a paint code? i quite like the red.

Some little runt has tried to break in at some point and damaged this trim on the driver side and chipped the top of the window!! luckily he wasn't successful! or should that be unluckily!!!

Dose anybody know what this is? Important?. part numbers?!!!

Common problem i believe! It must never rain in Japan!!

Alloy corrosion can spread far faster than rust, thankfully I've caught it now!

Umm. However!!

I Have a invoice From Couture-Auto for 15hrs labour too fully under-seal the car on 29-06-2010 @ 61,000 miles, cost= Euro's 660.75 Only a thousand miles later!!..OUCH!!!!

·
Registered
26,467 Posts
oh dear oh dear

that just looks like a very poor car

and one thats lived all its live outside or driven in crappy weather

hat off to you in putting in right

:( sad to see one like that

·
Super Moderator
16,038 Posts
Rust 1000 miles after undersealing...that's crap. Either they didn't clean it up properly or the underseal is rubbish.

Stick with it chap, the UK cars are rare and it's nice to see one pampered.:chuckle:

Why did you go Tein btw, I find that very hard suspension on the whole (which is why I went for Nismo S Tunes!).

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Rust 1000 miles after undersealing...that's crap. Either they didn't clean it up properly or the underseal is rubbish.

Stick with it chap, the UK cars are rare and it's nice to see one pampered.:chuckle:

Why did you go Tein btw, I find that very hard suspension on the whole (which is why I went for Nismo S Tunes!).

Thanks Toni, I don't rate the garage that has been doing the work to be honest, assuming thats the case, the PO was probably non the wiser with most things!! I suspect both the chaise wasn't prepped properly and the product was not the best, its just pealing off in places!! Shame, as 600 euros for that is a joke for that!! Don't worry, it's about to be fixed properly!

With regards to the Shocks, I've been reliably informed that the Mono flex are far superior in design and build than the superstreets. I did follow your thread "Streetable suspension" with great interest, the Nissmo shocks sound great but having seen them fitted to 'GT4 Addicted's' GTR, they would just be to low for daily driving at a 60mm drop, and i would never get into my garage!! A friend had the Teins on his Supra and thought it felt to soft! So I've got the EDFC as well for in car adjustment, and worst case scenario is, i just fit softer springs!

·
Registered
434 Posts
my car is only 30mm lower than before... :)

and i won't advise anybody to use Tein products since my monoflex left me down on my Evo... :rolleyes: add to this my car was too bumpy on road and diificult to handle on track...

Nismo S Tunes are great quality (made for Nismo by Showa) and ride quality and handling is really nice on road even at very high speed... :chuckle: it's very important to keep the wheels on the road at high speed... Tein and other cheap jap coilovers are just to hard and the car is bumping on each bump top.... :runaway:

·
Super Moderator
16,038 Posts
Yes that's my experience with Teins, way over-damped leading to a bumpy ride.
But we look forward to what you think!:chuckle:

I'm amazed at that undersealing, I reckon they just put it on top of rusting metalwork, can't see how else it's gone like that. I had mine re-undersealed last July (at a different place), I'll be jacking it up in the better weather for a closer look!

Feeling I'm lucky at the moment as my gearbox has never had any crunching at all! (55K miles on a UK car). Just debating what to spend money on next so I know what it's like.:runaway:

·
Registered
1,773 Posts

and i won't advise anybody to use Tein products since my monoflex left me down on my Evo... :rolleyes: add to this my car was too bumpy on road and diificult to handle on track...

Nismo S Tunes are great quality (made for Nismo by Showa) and ride quality and handling is really nice on road even at very high speed... :chuckle: it's very important to keep the wheels on the road at high speed... Tein and other cheap jap coilovers are just to hard and the car is bumping on each bump top.... :runaway:
agree stune ones are gr8, fited mine few weeks ago. Looking your car i really feel happy i have the 1/10th of your rust. and mine came with 80000miles. keep te pic coming and please once you get the parts for your gearbox sent them to me( part numbers only :) ), if you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for them? sent me by pm if you dont want to public.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
More updates for those that are interested, Happy New Year too you all, i hope Santa brought you all what you wanted!! Its been a quite few weeks as we have been away over the festive break and i have know what stage of dismantle my car is at!!

The ride felt firm and well planted maybe a little bumpy, but i have been driving a 740I sport for the last 2 years (all be it on Eibach suspension!) so i thought i wouldn't need to touch it. The only thing i wasn't happy with was body roll, and during the journey home it developed a steering wheel wobble at 70-80mph (quite common with the heavy bimmers! control arm bushes.)

A quick crawl underneath revelled the culprit!!

So with the help of Elitetech again we are in the process of overhauling the suspension components! First step Tein Monoflex coilovers with EDFC.

This is the only picture i have at the moment.

Eltech will provide there front adjustable control arms as these are adjustable whilst on the car and they have been working on a solution for the rear end, i'm only looking for about a 20mm drop but even so the camber will be out of factory spec with the standard arms! Below is a copy of there email.

Steve,

As promised, I've modelled the R34 rear suspension system and examined the camber change through suspension stroke.
As you can see, when the suspension is in 20mm of bump (the equivalent of lowering the cars posture by 20mm), the camber change from initial posture is -0.5643 degrees.
(In the model I set the initial camber as zero for simplification, as we are only interested in camber change through bump travel)

As the adjustment on the car is a maximum of 0.5 degrees, this means it's touch and go whether the rear cancer can be brought back exactly into Nissan spec.
Gareth and I discussed a countermeasure and we're going to study the possibility to add further camber adjustment to the vehicle, using similar method to our front links.
This should do the trick nicely!
We'll send you an update in the future, so I wouldn't go buying the nismo link set just yet, as we will be able to fit the nismo bushes into our modified links.

Cheers,
Ian

Best Regards
Ian & Gareth

LHD GTR
Elitetech Automotive

Tel: +44 1280 823641
Mob: +44 7598 399942
Web: Elitetech Automotive:: Home of the left hand drive Nissan Skyline GT-R
E-mail: [email protected]
Twitter: @LHD_GTR
Steve, i've just spotted this......
Thanks for the kind words.

ha ha, that's my computer screen.
Front upper links all done and ready to go on the car!
Rears to follow in next couple of weeks!

Ian

·
Registered
566 Posts
Hi, And welcome!, just seen this thread and must say hope everything coming on on the car ok, interesting to hear peoples opinions about tein suspension but I've got superstreet on my 34 and it feels fine.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Steve, i've just spotted this......
Thanks for the kind words.

ha ha, that's my computer screen.
Front upper links all done and ready to go on the car!
Rears to follow in next couple of weeks!

Ian
Your welcome Ian, unfortunately i cant comment on the actual parts as of yet! but so-far your service and knowledgeable input is second to none! i've been sending a few guys your way for tt pipes, so do let on what the 100th special is!...

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Hi, And welcome!, just seen this thread and must say hope everything coming on on the car ok, interesting to hear peoples opinions about tein suspension but I've got superstreet on my 34 and it feels fine.
Thanks, and good to know at least someone is happy with there Tiens:) Im not in my teens but not quite into my thirties, so should be ok!!:flame::chuckle:

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·

Thats not good to hear! but i've heard so many conflicting pieces of advice, the people i trust so far, Mark, Lee, Ian have recommended the Tiens, so lets put it to the test and see what happens. I believe setup, camber alignment, tracking, wheels, tires, ect. have an awful lot to do with keeping the wheels in contact with the road at speed, so deferent cars will react differently to the Tiens, hopefully my car will react well!

I also need the adjustable ride height, I saw the pics of your car as soon as you fitted the s-tunes, and if thats only 30mm lower than stock ride height, im concerned with only a 20mm drop, i may still have problems! (my garage has strange entrance!) how many k's were on the shocks, is it posable they have sagged a bit! as the stock ride hight on my car seemed like it was on stilts!

For sale btw, if any one wants some stock stilts! :chuckle:

21 - 40 of 87 Posts