GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much does it bother you? I had a c63 which had 4 owners and had a difficult time getting rid of it..

Asking as have seen a 2009 59 gtr with 30k miles, new gearbox etc. ticks all boxes but has 5 owners.

Me being the 6 th owner, come sale time the new owner will be number 7. I can't commit no matter how good the car is for some reason.

·
Premium Member
5,888 Posts
why would a car have more owners than another in the same production year?? people buying who cant afford to run it? problem car? demo car??

·
Registered
457 Posts
What year was your c63?

I wouldn't discount a high performance car because of 5 owners. But would walk away if it was a turd, regArdless of amount of owners.

·
Ooo Matron !
2,363 Posts
The number of owners is an odd one which I often wonder about. Before I got my GTR I was looking at Gallardos. They seem to have a lot of previous owners. It seems people buy them just to say they have owned one and then get shot within 6 to 12 months. I had an AM Vantage with 5 previous owners ( it was 9 years old ), so one owner every 2 years or so. I think that's maybe because they are such bloody boring cars.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
The number of owners does make a difference as to how quickly you will be able to sell your car unless it's priced lower than market value, I think most buyers think why it's had soo many owners is there something wrong with it that always getting moved on for example and also they think about resalable appeal.

·
Registered
341 Posts
My car was bought through my company and now for tax reasons I've had to buy the car and keep it in my own name. That technically means the next owner will be the fourth although it's only ever been me and one other person driving the car.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I think cars like this get people who just want to experience owning one, then sell them on before any big bills start to arrive, hence quite a few owners on the log book. The chances that some of those owners could have totally abused the car is always that bit higher the more owners its had.

Then again seen a few advertised as (1 Doctor owner) or pilot, like that means anything as they could have been abused, just less chance.

Personally I would be more worried if the bulk of the owners had been in the last 12 months, indicating a possible lemon

·
R35 Section manager
11,261 Posts
I don't think it really makes much difference providing the car has been well looked after.
High number of owners could be down to buyers not being able to get insured or not understanding the running costs before buying

·
Ooo Matron !
2,363 Posts
Then again seen a few advertised as (1 Doctor owner) or pilot, like that means anything as they could have been abused, just less chance.
When I bought mine, the sales guy told me the previous (and only) owner was a Dentist. And what of it ? Can't a dentist have a GTR or something ?

·
Registered
248 Posts
People sometimes view a car that has been previously owed by a doctor or dentist think that potentially it has had no expense spared on repairs or maintenance, higher income compared to joe public. It's not always the case, I've seen loads of abused prestige cars that are just status symbols.
If your passionate about cars and have worked hard to own one you will look after it no matter what you do for a living.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Personally I would stay clear,, that 5 people who would have given it stick every time they got in it for the first 5 or 6 weeks till they got used to the power,
I would rather have a high miles 1 owner car that's had a proper service history,

Only my thoughts

Goldie

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The higher owner cars may have good service histories and be well looked after. But come sale time you may struggle to shift it on. It is always a huge plus for me when there has been one owner from new, with all the original invoice and someone who knows the car inside out.

·
Registered
302 Posts
When I was buying mine I saw quite a few with 4 or so owners. It certainly put me off, as others have said you have to wonder how well the car's been looked after if nobody owned it for more than a few months.

·
Vendor
1,709 Posts
GTR's quite often have more than average owners. Often people don't realise how expensive they can be to run, especially if they are NHPC regulars so the wife beats them into selling it (ha ha). Some get one to see what the fuss is about and then work it out of their system once they get used to the speed and get back into their mainstay BMW.

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
Looking at a car who has had 3 owners 1st being Nissan Demo Car.
MY12
Undecided due Demo Car for 6 months...........
History and service all up to date and serviced by Original Dealer.
Undecided any views on number of owners.........

·
Registered
66 Posts
Demo car... So always driven (abused) by unprofessional test pilots whom most have no clue how the car should properly "warm up" before giving the beans.

·
R35 Section manager
11,261 Posts
Looking at a car who has had 3 owners 1st being Nissan Demo Car.
MY12
Undecided due Demo Car for 6 months...........
History and service all up to date and serviced by Original Dealer.
Undecided any views on number of owners.........

If you were to keep the car for a decent period, 3 owners wouldn't put me off.
And if its a show room demo car it would of been looked after:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts