GTR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hmmmm....made me think of a mate of mine whose surname is Voss....nickname Vossy....of course.....4 years ago I showed him VO55 plates and there were 20 or 30 combinations VO55SSY VO55SEY etc etc...all for 1k-2k....If my nickname were Vossy I'd have bought one....just checked tonight and there's nothing left.....unless his first initial is A....which it isn't!

Buy it

·
Registered
9,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks fozi, knowing your surname I can imagine the plate you have.

Your are probably right, it's just the £2k that's getting me.

I've ordered the plates from fancyplates.com anyway to get a feel for how they look in the flesh and see if the idea of it on my GTR sits properl with me.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I'm a bit bizarre with number plates.

Back in 2000 I bought 3 cars, so bought a set of number plates so they all matched.

One ended in TVR, one in BMW etc and the all had the same 3 character prefix.

Over the years I got more of them - FER, CSL, MAD, BAD, UFO.

THe thing was I like the 3 letter prefix so much, that I bought the domain! I then setup a company named after that prefix - so in a roundabout way, the 3 letters ended up meaning a lot!

FER went, along with CSL, MAD and BAD. I bought MAD back recently.

It was quite good when I bought the one ending COM, as that is the company domain name!

I've just got a handful of them now. The TVR one ended up on my dad's transit van :)

·
Registered
627 Posts
Yep that's right. Any plate that has a word in it or has relavence to a wider audience commands more money. One of the first ones that I bought that is exactly my surname cost me big bucks. I would say almost as much as all the others put together. Bought a few Irish numbers too. One that was FDZ 16. I messed around with it and made it look like FOZI G. Had that on my 33GTR for a couple of years.

·
Registered
9,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Exactly that.

It comes down t spending the money now, but long term, I'll forget the money but always have the plate.

I just hope I always run two cars, because the wife won't have one of them on her car.

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts
Good lord - just buy it. It isn't a big deal as in 36 hours you will find another plate that you like better, sell it, regret it then buy one which is one digit different then modify it ;-)

Anyway I love ROG BABY on mine - paid £500 for it many years ago and now worth lots to any other vain Rogers who are big car fans. Just do it man - and then sell me your suspension for £27.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Well I'm glad you got it, because let's be honest... 2k is pretty much nothing when are running an R35. You'll lose that in a few months or as soon as you need tyres! :)

·
Premium Member
5,040 Posts
Mine will be completely worthless to anyone but my family.

No one else in the country has the surname.

It's £2040 I'd never see again.
Er, why do you think they're selling it for £2040? Of course it's "worth" it.
And are you the only person in the country with that surname?

But the main point is, buy it if you want it, not because of what it might be worth in the future.

I blagged my famous "Godzilla" from the DVLA for £795. It's now been valued at a few times that, but I'm not selling, at least not until I've decided never to have another GT-R, and I can't foresee that ever happening!

I've had a non-year DYU plate since the late '80s that has been on loads of my cars over the years.

I like personalised plates, because they, er, personalise the car to you, to distinguish it from the thousands of others that look like yours. But they are for your pleasure, not anybody else's.

·
Registered
9,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
David,

It was only up for £2040 because of the word mess in it.

There were 2600 plates with mess in them, all £2040, there was nothing specific about my combination other than it suited me.

It was never gong to be about its value. I genuinely believe it's worthless o anyone but my family, and yes we are the only ones as in I know everyone with the surname and none but me would ever buy it.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Could of course change your name by deed poll to harvest a cheaper plate (sure the sweaties consider this ;-)
Right choice Adam IMO.
I bought a plate for each of of our family as birthday presents starting with the same 2 digits (family code, but means nothing except something very contrived ;-) and ending with their/my initials. The nondescript initials were only £450 but my wife's spelt LAW...and they wanted 2.2K for this distinction, what a surprise (maybe have suited you too Adam). After consideration and already having the three others, it had to be done

21 - 40 of 40 Posts