GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AS my current Front Number Plate "hides" some of the intercooler, I would like to put a smaller one on. As I intend to get a cheap DVLA personalised plate, the number of letters will not be an issue.
What is the size that I should go for to either keep in the middle of the car or else move it to where T9KYO has his. How does it fix?

Also, where can I buy a nice GTR keyring?

Are ALL R34's equipped with dark rear side and back windows like mine. Quite difficult to see out the rear view mirror with sunglasses on!

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
DaveMiddleton said:
Are ALL R34's equipped with dark rear side and back windows like mine. Quite difficult to see out the rear view mirror with sunglasses on!
No, but its a common mod. P1 style. :smokin:

·
Registered
520 Posts
In answer to Q1:

Mine looks like this:

I know it's not strictly legal, but I've been okay so far. I also heard that there is a law that states cars imprted from the far east and US do not have to have standard sized plates if their is no recess for them. Hence how the new Corvette does not have to have any front plate. :D

Q2: I think http://www.takakaira.com do them.

Q3: No, but they look cool. :smokin:

P.s. P1s had clear rear windows. It was the imported type-r that had the rear tints as standard.

·
Registered
961 Posts
is there a law saying you can't mount the number plate to one side ?

·
Following EJH#25
6,841 Posts
Number Plate Sizes.

Hi,
The official sizes for Number Plates are;
From 1 September 2001 all new number plates must be constructed using the new mandatory font and characters must be of the size given below.
All vehicles except motorcycles and vehicle manufactured before 1973:
Characters:.Height Width Stroke Side margin
Size :...........79mm 50mm 14mm 11mm

Top & bottom margin
11mm

Space between characters
11mm

Space between groups
33mm
This makes the minimum height of the plate 101mm and the minimum width dependant on the marque.
Obviously stopped by the police several times for displaying 'illegal number plates' before, but its just cos it looks small on the car!
Matt.
PS. Can't find any law which says displaying the number plate to the side is illegal, if the EVOs and Alfas can do it, don't see why you can't!

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
As far as SVA is concerned (and I guess this applies to standard regs) as long as the plat is visible from 20m (not sure on distance) when standing directly in front of the car it's perfectly legal.

Hope that helps
John

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
According to the mot guys where I just got my car done and the MOT book that I looked in to check, the size of the letters is only mandatory on new cars.

the thing that mine would have failed on is the spacing between the numbers and letters.

There is a set gap between letters and the gap must be twice the size between numbers and Letters.

eg. A 123 BCD on the plate I had it was A123BCD.(this font exaggerates the effect)

you guys out there with just one or two numbers should be ok.

I have now swapped the drinks tray back to a sensible sized one the same as Simon has.

Hope this helps.

Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts