GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellas,

I've just got a private plate for my car and I want to get my plates made this weekend. For the front I would like a small plate but I don't want to get branded as a "boy racer" because it's too small ;-) What's a legal size that I can use? It's a 5 letter plate.

Thanks guys.

James

p.s. Does anyone know where to get those plates that some kit cars use that are basically just stickers?

p.p.s. Please forgive me for my uneducated views on the Power FC boost kit. I bow my head in shame!

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
Hi James
I use motorcycle size plate and numbers for the front of mine.
Most places will make plates up but will require a few days for special size ones.
Basically anything other than what you see in Halfords etc is illegal .
Try a graphics or sign making place if there is one near you as they can sometimes make them up as well.:D
Hope this helps
Best regards Alan

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Check out dvla.go.uk/vehicles/regmarks/reg_marks.htm this is the new standard if you go for an MOT they will enforce this as I have just found out!

They even measured the gap between the digits !

·
Registered
285 Posts
number plates

I've got motorcycle size on the front, and been told it isn't legal, but not been done for it.
My local car spares man will make anything you want up, providing you don't tell the police who did them.

There's always someone who'll make them up.

Talking of number plates...........
for sale V5 SKY

any offers ?

Chris

·
Registered
140 Posts
Stickers

Guys

If it helps anyone i can get hold of sticker number plates that can be stuck on the bonnet. this way the front end remains as nissan aerodynamists intended it. they only cost £15 and are legal size and reflectivity, however since sept 1st are for display purposes only, if you know what i mean!! let me know if you want one.

cheers

rob

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
Hi Chris
I got a ticket for my number plate being of the motorcycle size on the front of mine. :eek:
After i found out that no points were involved i decided to leave it on. :D
Best regards Alan

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Size doesn't matter

From my experience the boys-in-blue rarely look at the front. They may comment on other things and will lilely pull you over for <100% legitimate rear plates. On the assumption that, if they see a small front plate you're probably going too fast in the opposite direction, I wouldn't worry too much.

Remember; you don't have to go from standard size to the really small bike plates, there are various sizes inbetween:)

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts