GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive arranged to go to the famous nurburg next weekend and to say i am unprepared is an understatement!

i know lots of people on this forum have gone was wondering if anyone could give me any tips and things to take etc

cheers ant

·
Registered
269 Posts
Read through Ben Lovejoy's site
Will give you a good overview of the place.

It's a fantastic experience, just don't be tempted to drive beyond your limits, don't be worried about being the slowest thing on the circuit and REMEMBER to look in your mirrors a lot!!!

Have a good time

Sam

·
Registered
6 Posts
All good advice from Samuel Cross. The thought of being overtaken by a local in his golf gti can be hard to stomach but if you try to keep up with them when you dont know the track you will soon meet the armco! Just enjoy it, theres nothing like it.
One of the main things to remember is a trailer and tow vehicle or good breakdown cover. The track is very hard on the car and its a long way back with a blown engine !

Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
TAKE OUT SOME TRACK DAY INSURANCE,beleave me you will not beleave the amount of cars that go off in a big way.and if you do go off and you have track day insurance it still will not cover you for the bill from the ring to recover you and pay for loss of track time and any damage to track/armco etc ,its common to see bills of 2000 euros.and regards cover to get you back to the uk ,any uk recovery ie RAC/green flag/AA want at least 10days to recover you back to the uk .all this info is not to put you off this is FACT not hears say,because it can be a enjoyable day out but allso a very very expensive one.JUST TAKE YOUR TIME AND DONT TRY TO BE A HERO AND ENJOY THE DAY:wavey: NISMOMAN

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it has put me off a little

fact that the weather is shite at mo
recovery takes a least ten days??
and u have to pay for damaging the ring??
im not planning on crashing but it puts it in to perspective

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Edmy
Have a good read of Bens site, read my report and if you have any other concerns, send me a PM. It is the most wonderful few days driving I have ever had.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Not only do you have to pay for what you break...but like was said earlier, you may end up paying for the lost track time depending on how badly you stack it!

The good (or bad) news is that they have SOOO many accidents on the weekend that they are quick to clear them. Once your done, see the man in the booth and they will give you the bill!!!

What day are you going? I may have to head that way.

Oh yea, the weather in October around these parts can be very nice...so dont let that be a big factor. Oh yea, the guy in the 91 opel drifting past you...dont mind him...:wavey:

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
LIKE I SAID IT,S NOT TO PUT YOU OF,BUT THESE ARE THE FACTS,IT,S UNBELEAVABLE HOW MENY GO OF

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Dont time yourself, you will want to, but just enjoy the drive.
Here are some pics that i took last October when some of us went.

Oh and watch out for the coaches:)

·
Real men use a H-Pattern.
12,037 Posts
Last time we went, at the end of August, 24 cars crashed on the Sunday!!!

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Been twice on the bike (tuned ZX9R) both weeekends an Englishman on a bike died on the track while we were there and there were English car crashes throughout the day. My advice is forget about outright speed especially on the first visit, just concentrate on trying to get the lines and braking points right to avoid unnecessary hard braking as brakes tend to boil, especially when you get drivers who just point and squirt and then panic brake. Don't worry unduly about what's behind you through the bends stay on the racing line as that's what they'll expect from you. Then let the fast local boys pass on the correct side on the straitish bits, and don't hassle slower guys into crashing, especially nervous Englishmen on bikes. My best lap ever was in a hired "A" class diesel, foot flat, conserving momentum through the bends and up the hills, huge fun with little risk. Do drive the road from the ring to the town of Cochem its absolutely superb, and do have some beers in the bars along the riverside.

·
Administrator
31,885 Posts
awesome place

my only gripe is the bikes. It must be overwhelming for them, sure, but the number of times they DID'NT indicate to let me pass, and turned in when i'd clearly made my way past them was scary.

And the bike who decided to do an emergency stop at exmule cos he over cooked it, nearly causing me to run into the back of him, is a memory best forgotton

but driving the ring will change your life, its the most incredible place in the world IMHO

mook

1 - 20 of 28 Posts