GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To my knowledge was it the GTR that had or still holds the lap record for a stock production car?

Dates and times would be great.

Many thx,

Rich J

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hi there Rich

Jamie M has the Video he was going to sort out a copy form me!

I am not sure of the Date but I guess it was when the R33 came out or was first sent to Europe

The Time was 8 minutes 1 second I Know that!

I think it still stands But don't hold me to that!

I can tell you, You will be on the Edge of your sofa all the way round it so cool :cool:

My hart was in my mouth and the adrenline running just like being there, you can see his feet and the clocks and the track

the only thing is it in Japanes

Ask Jaime M he will have the Hole story!

Regards

Bruce

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ring Lap Times

Hi Guys,

These are some of the recent lap times set by 'stock' cars at the Ring:

7,55 = 157 km/h Robert Nearn, Caterham R500.
7,56 = 157 km/h Walther Röhrl, Porsche 996 GT3 360 hp.
7,57 = 157 km/h Lotec Porsche 993 Turbo 600 hp.
7,59 = 156 km/h Dirk Schoysman Nissan Skyline

Last year the new 996 Turbo from Porsche managed a time around 7,56 but as you can see the Skyline was actually under 8-minutes, in fact it was the first production car to do so. Although the car itself was 'slightly' modified.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers for the info guys, not bad times at all even if the car was slightly modded I'd say!:)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Skyline needs to be the boss again at the Ring

Well we cant have these Porkey and a like holding the Ring record can we now.

So Who going to show them that the Skyline is the BOSS again?

Dirk in a standared R34!! Now whos got a Standard R34?:rolleyes:

Now all we need is a trip out there and the Timing people to be there! Sorted Skyline Doing 7,50

So all agreed? good! :D :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
The true story of the GTR at Nurburgring

I know this is a old thread dug up again.

But can anyone tell me the true story of the GTR r 33 that broke the 8 min barrier at Nurburgring in 1995.

Alot of site and people say that the GTR was at a dubious state of tune, having the speed limiter removed, turbo bosted and the rear wheel suspension twicked. But alot is unknown or unclear as exactly what the engineers did that day to the car.

The car was though to be the first R33 car I believe to enter UK and was still undergoing some development, for the showrooms.

Any info is appreciated guys.

·
Registered
78 Posts
More Ring lap times

These days it seems lap times of around 8 minutes are nothing special anymore.

A German magazine (sport auto) recently tested the Pagani Zonda C12S (with 7.3l AMG V12) and took it round the Ring in 7.44min!

Then there's the battle between Porsche tuners Gemballa and TechArt who have been trading fastest lap times for the past few months. They are aiming for 7.30min now...

I guess you'll have to bring a truly sorted Skyline to top those times!

MDG.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I can fill some of the gaps about this car, but both Dirk Schoysman, and the Nissan engineers involved at the time are a little shy about all the facts.

The R33 GT-R used was a test mule for the development of the V-spec R33 GT-R, during testing the drivers had got close to the sub 8 min lap even loaded up with heavy test equipment.

The Nissan management decided to have an official lap record attempt. After several goes none of the drivers could quite get passed the sub 8 min barrier so someone at Nissan had the idea to remove the air filter panel.

This seems to have been enough to get the sub 8 min lap and they left it at that.

The car was returned to Japan and later destroyed.

I think that it is fair to say that this car was close to a production model V-spec GT-R even if some of the components didn’t make it to the final specs.

Hope this helps.

Paul.

PS Robert Nearn’s record has to be the most impressive story has it that he drove that car from England did the lap record and drove home again. :smokin: and Dan when are you back in Europe? We should meet up at the ring with Dirk.

Oh and forget the Gemballa/TechArt cars these are outright race cars (with slick tyres) and somehow license plates.

PPS I know the owner of a race spec R34 GT-R that might just have a go at the 7min 30 sec type BS record.

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
R500?

I once went out in an R500 Superlight and can claim that I've been in one of the fastest road vehicles on the planet.

But it annoys the absolute hell out of me when they class this as a road-car. It is so far from it, where do you draw the line? It is litterally a cross between a supercar and a single seater and offers none of the practicalities shown by other candidates.

Should be struck off the 'production car' list, as should the aftermarket tuned 911's that have supposedly been running on slicks!

Cem

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
One of the record runs with a Porker was sponsored by Yokohama (Sport Auto magazine nr. 10 2001 page 2 add) and H&R. They claim a record run of 7:32:50 with a Gemballa Biturbo GTR600 with AVS Sport tires. Since both companies obviously have an interest in this and there is no sign of any objective mediation, there's room for manipulation. But then again that's the case with all claimed records like these.

Andre.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What an old thread to bring up, although the 8min sub may not be that specail I think that for a road car when u compare the Zonda is pretty good!:)

PS, OMG what an old thread to bring up, makes me feel young.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I remember reading something somewhere a few months back about a group of car nuts (not form magazines etc, totally un-biased) taking their cars to the ring and one of them had an almost standard R33 V.Spec (air filter/exhaust ONLY) and he ran an 8:15, and he was no racing driver, just a fast road driver.

If I can find the page again I'll post the link.

Rob

·
Registered
272 Posts
The R33 GTR that held the record is on display at the Redpark Skyline museum just north of Tokyo , I saw it and took pics of it about 6 weeks ago . it had a 7 point roll cage that even standing beside the car is very well hidden , it has no restrictor in line near the boost control solenoid , a brake master cylinder stopper , no air conditioning , and front and rear strut braces . The car looks a bit worse for wear as it has been left outside for a while and most of the badges have been stolen , it has only done low kms , something like 5000 km from memory . it is very humbling to be standing next to the car . thanks Shin for translating the story behind the car :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Great stuff

Thanks guys,

Its good to see preople who know there history.

P.S Skylining: Who is this Robert Nearn?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Godsp,
Robert Nearn is a professional GT racer. He has become well known among the ‘ringers’ since his 7’55 in a Caterham R500.

Cem,
I used to work with a bloke in East London that drove a Caterham 7 as his daily car :eek: takes a lot of commitment.

Brenhan,
It’s good to know the record Skyline in still in one peace and much the same, as it was when it left Germany, can you post some pictures?

Rob,
A good article from Steve Sutcliffe, but one point about the Skyline record that he’s missed is the fact that Dirk Schoysman was driving. Other professional drivers had tried in the same car but couldn’t get close to Dirk’s times. Remove the speed limiter add decent tyres and Dirk Schoysman, and the times could down into the sub 8 min again.

Some more record times:

http://www.nurburgring.org/laptimes.html

Paul.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Ring Times

My Blitz Supra 753 Challenge car that I sold earlier this year did the "ring" in 7 minutes & 43 seconds on road legal Dunlop tyres.

Quite a few of you have seen me drive it to various Events around the UK over the past two years.The car was extremely wild to drive,too much for a novice driver like me to handle.

Is there a translated artical anywhere on the net relating to this vehicle as all I ever could find was in Japanese for some strange reason:D .
In Hyper Rev`s Vol 29 there is a massive 4 page story with beautiful pictures but in Japanese:(

Cheers,
Henry.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Henry - the Blitz Supra is up for grabs again - it's been sold on Ebay.

Cheers,
Daz

·
Registered
997 Posts
It shouldn`t be allowed on the road,I hope it finds its way back to the track where it truly belongs.

How much Daz?

Henry.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts