GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I've pinched a bit of chat that has come from a broken GTR problem and I'm really surprised his GTR wouldn't do a Nurburgring lap without the need for a gearbox oil change!? I was thinking of going but this really adds a lot of money to the trip! Have other owners had the same issues at the ring or was this car being pushed to the limit and beyond?

.....("my car does no do half a lap on the Nürburgring Nordschleife within the "cheap" 110 degrees gearboxoiltemp.....,so one lap costs around 1000€ for an oilchange in the next 3000km"....)

·
Premium Member
7,641 Posts
I cant speak for the Ring, but on a hot day at Oulton Park in June my trans temps exceeded 110 very easily.

I would be very surprised if you didnt exceed 110 during a spirited lap, but of course if you're driving Miss Daisy you might be okay.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Maybe your 'quoter' was simply referring to Fahrenheit temperatures!

To be honest, I just can't imagine the tranny overheating on the NS. For one thing, that was basically the GT-R's nursery, and of course there is hardly anywhere else on this planet where you can so graciously continuously enjoy optimum cooling. After all, who slows down or stops? Temps might however very well climb cumulatively after several laps though, but you've always got your 'Fast & Furious' display to easily track those 'expensive' numbers.:clap:

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Maybe your 'quoter' was simply referring to Fahrenheit temperatures!

To be honest, I just can't imagine the tranny overheating on the NS. For one thing, that was basically the GT-R's nursery, and of course there is hardly anywhere else on this planet where you can so graciously continuously enjoy optimum cooling. After all, who slows down or stops? Temps might however very well climb cumulatively after several laps though, but you've always got your 'Fast & Furious' display to easily track those 'expensive' numbers.:clap:

I was the guy quoted........and mine and many others cant be driven on the ring without going over the 110degree and 1000€ expensive limit......mine had at "Bergwerk" over 116 degree on the first lap,climbing to 125 degree till the end on the lap where it stayed for the next lap.....the GTR is not build for trackuse within the 110degree limit.....if you want to track it,stay prepared to open your wallet (very wide):chuckle:

PS: Some GTR´s according to their owner can be driven with 100degree oiltemp around the ring......impossible with mine...and mine was standard when i drove it on the ring....:chuckle:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Two fast laps after each other on the NS with mine gave 126deg. So no, it´s not possible to stay under 110 deg if you want to do some real driving.

/Perra

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Two fast laps after each other on the NS with mine gave 126deg. So no, it´s not possible to stay under 110 deg if you want to do some real driving.

/Perra
That's so frustrating! Do Porsche owners have the same nonsense going on? This car is a Porsche beater (well according to Nissan it is)

·
Premium Member
7,641 Posts
Nissan built the R35 to beat a 911 turbo on 1 lap of the Ring.

Not to be a Porsche beater in terms of servicing, longevity of components, luggage space, rear legroom, or whatever other comparison you care to do.

It does that using a tricky 4 wheel drive system which requires the transmission to work very, very hard.

They never said anything about how much servicing it would need should you do a lap yourself.

IMHO if anyone is after a track car there are more sensible and cheaper to run cars out there.

·
Registered
97 Posts
So after a Track Day and going over 110oC, what needs changed....

JUST the gear box oil....

Also what is the cost of this in the UK..

Thanks..

·
Premium Member
7,641 Posts

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
That's so frustrating! Do Porsche owners have the same nonsense going on? This car is a Porsche beater (well according to Nissan it is)

No,they can drive their cars on track without loosing warranty,without changing the gearboxoil more often then their pants.......

Nissan did build a Nordschleife recordbreaking car which cant be driven on the ring.......within the warrantyrules....:chuckle:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Well I have drove two trips to the Ring , many Track days and done 6000 miles, had temp over 120 Deg 60 odd times and had the gearbox oil changed at the service interval!!

My warranty is still fine!!

They only changed the gearbox oil due to its visual appearance as it changes colour when it goes off, they said if it had not changed colour it may be ok to not be changed.

Are we all forgetting how fast the stock GTR really is!!!!

·
Registered
669 Posts
So it seems that the HPC's are all applying different "rules"?

richdevel when you say gearbox oil was changed at the service interval do you mean 6000 miles or 1800 miles?

I have to say that the guidelines are open to interpretation particularily if you engage in any sort of track driving.

I would say if you spend significant time on the track they are clear and that multiple excursions over 110 deg means that you need to engage in a 1800 mile oil change interval for engine, gearbox & differentials.

However if you have the odd track session with just a few excursions over 110 deg that's when they seem very harsh and expensive.

Making your own judgement calls is fine until something goes wrong, at which point I suspect Nissan will be able to play the warranty void card unless you have followed guidelines to the letter. Unfortunately none of us will realy know if our "warranty is fine", until something goes wrong and it is honoured.

Rich

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For me the "Ring" trip is one of those must do experiences and I'm sure i'll be slow and rubbish! It just seems so wrong that the GTR can't do an 8 minute blast without the need for a total oil change! Maybe its something to talk to my HPC about.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I had a long chat with my HPC over this topic last week - he told me that the tranny fluid does NOT need changing under any circumnstances if its temp is kept below 120. It MAY need changing if in the 120-125 dependent on how many times this has been logged but WILL be compulsory (within 1800 miles) if any temp >125.

This 110 thing is rubbish and just a way of opening your wallet.

I intend to ask for written confirmation of this before I collect my car in 4-5 weeks.

D

·
Registered
669 Posts
The 110 thing is what is says in the Warranty booklet and what my HPC is telling me. Where is the 120 thing written down?

Also the brackets for data logging I have seen are

20 - 80
80 - 110
110 - 140
Over 140

So do not see how they can detect 120?

Rich

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had a long chat with my HPC over this topic last week - he told me that the tranny fluid does NOT need changing under any circumnstances if its temp is kept below 120. It MAY need changing if in the 120-125 dependent on how many times this has been logged but WILL be compulsory (within 1800 miles) if any temp >125.

This 110 thing is rubbish and just a way of opening your wallet.

I intend to ask for written confirmation of this before I collect my car in 4-5 weeks.

D
Thanks for that. A sensible HPC and it makes sense. I bet you'll have to chase for that letter though. Dealers don't like putting anyhing in writing!

I've not seen the document you have to sign before you can drive the car away. I'm going to ask for a copy prior to the handover. I'm sure i'll still sign it!

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
What the HPC says....nobody cares,if you need the warranty,they check all the data.....if something is wrong,warranty is gone.....:puke:

·
Registered
144 Posts
I ask one question !!!
How the hell do they know when you go over 110 Deg??
The data logger only tell them how many times over the Temp not when !!!:chuckle:
If your GTR goes in for its 6000 mile service and you have drove hard ie 110 + many times then have the oil changed!!
If you have drove like Miss Daisy but then went over 110 on one trip to the Ring then you won't need the oil change!!
We all drive differently, the data logging is just to give them an idea on your driving so as to help them decide what level of servicing you require to keep your GTR in tip top condition!!
On a sub 8 min lap of the Ring, belive me you want to know it is in tip top condition !!!:D

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What the HPC says....nobody cares,if you need the warranty,they check all the data.....if something is wrong,warranty is gone.....:puke:
So other than keeping one eye on the screen, does your car tell you when you've exceeded 110C by way of a warning light or something on the dash, or is this information just sent to the data recorder?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I ask one question !!!
How the hell do they know when you go over 110 Deg??
The data logger only tell them how many times over the Temp not when !!!:chuckle:
If your GTR goes in for its 6000 mile service and you have drove hard ie 110 + many times then have the oil changed!!
If you have drove like Miss Daisy but then went over 110 on one trip to the Ring then you won't need the oil change!!
We all drive differently, the data logging is just to give them an idea on your driving so as to help them decide what level of servicing you require to keep your GTR in tip top condition!!
On a sub 8 min lap of the Ring, belive me you want to know it is in tip top condition !!!:D
Totally agree :)
My RS4 tells me when I need a service depending on how silly I drive. Old technology and should be in this car! If there is no way of telling when youve exceeded 110c other than spending your life looking at the dials as you drive, there is no way Nissan can kick a warranty claim out from a downloaded data. They'd be laughed out of court!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts