GTR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Not sure which section to post this in but thought i would give a quick overview of my recent Ring trip last weekend in the GTR. In a nutshell the GT-R was an absolute star and peformed faultlessly. She looked after my wife and i all the way to the Ring and all the way back again and didnt miss a beat once. She was comfortable and a pleasure to drive, whether we were blasting around at well in excess of the speed limits or just cruising around.

On the Ring the car was just sublime and only stepped out of line once - but even then she righted herself almost immediately and just shrugged it off and blasted onward, albeit leaving me with my ring-piece chattering away like a mutha funster in my pantaloons!!!
First lap out was with my wife and so i took it pretty slow, concentrating on my lines and circuit familiarisation etc. Even so, my wife was pretty overwhelmed by the whole thing and decided that was her one and only lap of the infamous Nordschleife!! My very next lap out was my one and only lap on my own the whole weekend (i honestly had a queue of people wanting passenger laps in the GT-R!!) - but it quickly became apparent how awsome the car was going to be around the circuit. I was easily hitting 8 min laps every time i went out, regardless of whether i had 2 or 4 people in the car!! Everyone that i took out for passenger laps seemed very impressed with the car. Those that were brave enough to sit in the back complained of a lack of headroom!

That said, it was hilarious to look in my rear view mirror and see two big grown men with fixed glazed expressions on their faces all squashed up praying we made it back in one piece!!! Sweaty paw prints are still visible on my side windows and leather seats!!! I can even see where someones head was touching the rear glass!!! But even four up the GT-R never wavered and it never seemed to adversely effect the way the car performed. The only major issue was the ridiculous fuel consumption - i was averaging 5 laps per full tank of fuel!!! Crazy but worth it!!!
I was easily managing a full minute quicker than my fastest lap in the E92 M3 and that was with the M3 getting bent out of shape more than a few times and never feeling as composed as the GT-R did. Absolutely night and day between the two cars in terms of performance and handling and i think that says a lot considering how good the M3 is around the Ring. It was startling how much faster the GT-R would power out of corners than everything else - we would blast past 997 Turbos with such ease we almost felt sorry for them!!! We would power past 996 GT2's and GT3's and i dont recall one single car that went past us.... apart from one particular episode that totally and utterly made my whole weekend..... and that was when a good friend and i went out and i decided this was gonna be THE lap!!

We pulled off from the barrier and i cut in front of the Aston Martin race car being driven by a pro racing driver....oh shit!!!! We both blasted off and i was driving pretty much at my limit. I could see him in my mirrors but amazingly we pulled a gap on him in the first half of the circuit which is my fastest section as my knowledge is better here. After the half way section (where you can come off at Adenau) he started to gain a little more. Having said that, on the straight sections i was easily pulling 3 or 4 car lengths on him. We then got into some traffic which allowed him to close right behind me.
I remember coming around/dropping down into the Picture Gallery/You Tube Corner and seeing the banks of crowds, thinking i cant afford to bin it here!!! Suddenly they saw us, with the Aston rammed up my tailpipes, power sliding in unison and you see and hear them all start cheering and waving - it was bloody awsome!!! I managed to hold him off into the carousel and again started to pull away a little in the uphill sections. BUT, with only 3 corners to go, having driven my tits off and the GT-R behaving impeccably, suddenly my friend screamed out "he's lost it, he's gonna spin!!!" - i quickly checked my mirrors and saw the Aston completely sideways in a cloud of tyre smoke!!! Im not sure even now why, but i momentarily panicked and bizarrely pulled over and slowed (i think expecting to assist in helping him pull a wrecked race car out of the armco??) but almost immediately he recovered the slide and the next thing i know he is along side me about to drop into the mini carousel. I managed to stick with him whilst he then show-boated the last 2 corners by powersliding the car and lighting up the rears!! We came alongside him on the start finish and as we looked over, both the driver and passenger were waving and nodding their heads giving us the big thumbs up. It was absolutely incredible and was without doubt the best thing ive ever done in a car. My friend and i were just shouting our heads off like a couple of loons!! We then went over to the Aston driver once we had parked up and he admitted that he couldnt believe how fast the GT-R was, said that we were often pulling away from him and that he was giving it full beans to keep up!!! That was a great testament to what is a truly awsome car.
I cant imagine how unbelievable the car must be in a professional drivers hands - and i can now see how the times that have been posted on youtube are probably pretty accurate!!! And thats in stock form, straight out of the box - what would it be like "tweaked"!!!??? Tyres were sensational with immense grip and reminded me of the Cup tyres on the CSL in the dry. Cant wait for the next Ring trip!!!!

ps; There were a couple of GT-R's there last weekend - a Gun Metallic with registration "S*O*N" which i understand crashed quite heavily but not sure of the details?? And also a Black one, owned by a great guy called Steve, registration "HAM __" who gave me a passenger lap!!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Superb write up Hoops!

I too am coming from an M3 (E46 CS) and managed an 8:59 BTG in that and am hoping to better it when I take the GTR there after picking it up (tomorrow) and running it in of course!

What did you do to your car before taking it there - prepped it at your HPC??

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Hoops

Did you run RRR or RRoff?

How were the brakes doing after a couple of days?

I am going on 18/19 September - my first time so any tips would be appreciated!

David

·
Registered
135 Posts
Great write up Hoops. I was there the weekend 8th / 9th. 8th was closed most of the day with fog, and 9th was chaos as everyone was lining up to get on. 5 accidents in about 5 hours including a brand new 997 GT3 RS.

I am a c**p driver but I still had a great time overtaking most cars. People really liked the car and lots of photos were taken. I nearly lost the back end on one of the corners just before the long straight - the same place the GT3 came off (and the Armco was replaced with tyres) but in RRR mode I think the eldctronics stepped in and saved my (and the car's) A**E. :clap::clap:

I wonder if GTROC is organising a road trip??

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
ring trip

nice one hoops.it sounds like to me just that one lap with the aston was worth every penny for the 35 mate.dont supose any onboard camera?really good to see a write up with somone so pleased with there skyline.:clap::clap:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Thats sounds awesome hoops!! I'm definitely gonna get my GT-R over to the Ring next year, spring time!!

Trav

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi everyone - thanks for the comments. Have to say the R35 was just sublime and apart from the crap fuel consumption and mega hot cabin, i have absolutely nothing negative to say about how the car performed over there. It was a blisteringly hot weekend. My trans oil temps went into the high 120's all the time. Obviously i drove in manual all the time on the Ring and ive noticed that runs the temps higher than running in auto. I also tried different settings with the R modes. In my last E92 M3's (ive had 2, manual and DCT) at the Ring i found the car much better with EDC set to comfort rather than the stiffer settings and i later found out that the M5 Ring Taxi guys also run EDC in comfort. So i tried the same thought process with the GT-R but to be honest everything set to RRR was the best all round. The only issue i found was sometimes not changing up soon enough and running into the high end of the rev range. The tyres were awsome but due to the heat after 2 consecutive laps they would go off 3/4 of the way round and the car would understeer a lot more when pushing hard. I didnt notice too much understeer but again when pushing hard it was easy to create it!! Overall the car felt SO composed no matter how hard i pushed and tormented it. Im not a hugely experienced "Ringer" having only done 2 trips on the bikes and now 3 in cars - totalling around 50 laps - so my knowledge of the circuit isnt perfect by any means. The first half up to the half-ring at Adenau i know pretty well and get good lines etc - but its after the carousel that i start to forget where those blind crests go!!! That said i was still banging out 8 min laps which im told is quite respectable and almost a minute quicker than my E92 M3 times. Im confident with better 2nd half knowledge i could easily break the 8 min barrier - and in the right hands you can easily see how the R35 can get into the 7's, it really is THAT good!! My brakes did start to judder a little after a few laps of heavy breaking but not worryingly so. Since ive been home they seem almost back to normal but there is a slight wurring noise and light judder under heavy breaking. Ive heard you can go through a set of stock pads in one weekend at the Ring but i didnt massively hammer my brakes unless a corner caught me out last minute. I met a great guy called Steve at the Ring. He runs a Black R35 Black Edition and has a lot of experience there. He had changed his brake set up to AP discs and Pagid Yellows. He was telling me of R35 owners suffering warped and even cracked discs - a weak point on the R35 apparently?? I didnt have any onboard cameras im afraid and noone in my group could keep up with me to film me either!!! Have a few pictures but no idea how to upload them on here!!?? Overall, was it as engaging and exciting as my M3's..... f**king HELL YES and bloody then some!!! It is literally night and day by comparison - and trust me thats not easy for me to say as ive been an M Division whore for the last decade having owned 2 E46 M3s, a CSL and 2 E92 M3's. I love the M but the R35 just blows it out of the water and craps all over it in every single possible way. I was running rings around CSLs all day long to the point that it became a little boring and i actually found myself feeling sorry for them!! But the most satisfaction i got all weekend was punching the loud button coming out of certain corners and especially out of the carousel, following a couple of 997 Turbos and then just blasting past them as i powered out - god that makes me smile even now thinking about it!!!!

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Nice write-up Hoops - its making the last 4 weeks before I get hold of my car even harder!!

Did you have the car set up for track or kept the normal road settings that are done at optimisation? Have you had a post track inspection at an HPC and what did they say re tranny fluid?

David

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did have the car originally booked into Romford to have the race set up implemented. However, i wasnt massively impressed or inspired with confidence when i went into see them. They wanted to charge me around £360 just to add a small amount of neg camber and i didnt think it was worth it. My car was left with stock road settings at optimisation and i think it handled perfectly well at the Ring. However, next time i go to the Ring (probably Oct) i will try the race set up just to see if it makes much difference. As for the car, it is completely stock bar the Miltek Y-pipe as i felt it was far too quiet stock. But as this voids the warranty with regard the whole exhaust then im considering a full titanium system for it.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
fantastic write up and trip you had there... i saw the aston you were talking about. he does like to get it sideways! glad i dont have his tyre bill...
it is an awesome feeling when you pass some of the locals and the porsche tt`s. i have been a couple of times now, and at first was getting mullered by everything. its amazing what a little track knowledge does for your confidence and times.
reading that, i KNOW an R35 is the way forward... just got to get the Ferrari
360 outof my system first i think? not sure.
glad your car dispels a lot of the rumours the car is fragile and overheats. i think most cars overheat when pushed hard, i know my car does and i have an oil cooler...
maybe see you over there sometime.
stay lucky!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts