GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been invited on a trip to the Nurburgring with some friends and as such have started thinking about total costs as well as insurance. I know a few people on here have been there so I'd appreciate some input on the following questions.

- Insurance: Can anyone recommend a good company to get insured with? After reading up I've seen premiums of 1% of the value of the car and a 10% excess. Is this about right? If anyone could let me know what they were quoted that would be great. Whilst I have risked it on UK track days I don't fancy risking it at the ring.

- Track Day vs Open Day: I've read there are distinct differences between these two. I've checked the calendar and we are looking at going 14th-19th June 2017, none of these seem to be proper 'track days' - How does this affect getting insurance, I'm assuming you are liable for costs if you hit other cars etc, does insurance cover all of this?

- Costs: I don't have infinitely deep pockets like some guys on here so am trying to be as sensible as possible given I'm looking to also purchase a new house within a year or two (and have got a tonne of other things to pay for this year). However I have always wanted to go so at the same time want to do it properly. Roughly how much have you spent when going on fuel/laps etc. Did you need new brakes/tyres after the trip? I've read that the ring isn't too harsh on brakes due to having a lot of sweeping bends.

If there is anything else I have forgotten let me know. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
If you're taking your GTR, get involved in a track day via a company if needs be. Most certainly don't go on an open day if its your first time in your pride and joy.

On top of your car insurance cost to cover yourself, make sure to have the relevant insurance incase you cause damage to the track or equipment.

A set of extra boots is recommended depending on how many days you actually want to go on circuit, if your brakes are in good condition then you shouldn't worry unless you're hammering it around trying to set lap records.

FAQ's - Your First Visit » RSRNurburg has a lot of good info.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
If you can afford it a track day is better but a lot of people use the tourist days.

Competition car insurance cover my 32 for touristdays at the 'ring as part of my normal insurance. Surprisingly they won't cover a track day.

·
Real men use a H-Pattern.
12,031 Posts
So I've been invited on a trip to the Nurburgring with some friends and as such have started thinking about total costs as well as insurance. I know a few people on here have been there so I'd appreciate some input on the following questions.
Do a search. There's loads on this forum about it.

Insurance: Can anyone recommend a good company ... Whilst I have risked it on UK track days I don't fancy risking it at the ring.
Any insurance you purchase will be 1st party only. It will not cover any third party vehicles or persons, any damage to barriers, recovery, etc. There is no difference whatsoever with this between tourist days and trackdays.

I don't have infinitely deep pockets...
Much depends on whether your a noob or not. A 35 will do 3 or 4 laps per tank, but being a noob, you should get more than that. Same applies to brakes and tyres. You should not be on it enough to spank them, but you will still get wear.

I've recently posted a thread with 2017 lap charges, etc, for tourist days. Track days typically cost £500 per day, although cheaper are sometimes available.

After 13 years and approx 30 trips, I can tell you that you won't see much change from £1500 for a long weekend away.

Main advice would be, take care, do not time attack it regardless of how many PSwiibox laps you done, and mirrors, mirrors, mirrors.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
^ agree with the above. you will never do it for less than a grand... and the costs depends on how many laps you do..

for example, the cost of each lap, is about the same in fuel in a GTR, so around £50. you wont get more than 4 laps per tank, unless you drive like miss daisy
times that £50 by however many laps you do and there you have your price...

I did 25 laps once over a weekend... it was an expensive trip !

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
IMHO it depends on how many laps you are looking to do. I did it at the end of a 2500 miles European tour so was just looking at a couple of laps on the tourist day.

After looking at insurance and the ridiculous excess (seriously check the excess!) I just took the risk and drove round without insurance. Big risk but I was doing minimal laps and basically hit it track as soon as it opened so very few cars on track and kept within my skill ability. Gave it some beans but never seriously pushed it. Flugplatz and Karrusell are the places that caught me out a bit, but you need that pump of adrenaline :D

Would love to go back, but if I was doing more laps I would definitely take insurance.

Bucket list item achieved, along with Stelivio Pass (too busy there and GTR hates it with a vengeance - there are much much better passes out there!)

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
IMO if you are going to a TF day go out early before the idiots get on track and use your mirrors, dont be intimidated into a wrong line and mind the bikes, some are blisteringly quick but some are quick down the straight and slow round the bends and once they have a line they cant deviate, the other thing to remember is fitness, it takes a lot out of you mentally and physically (try not to grip the wheel too hard or you will get arm pump.
Ive never seen an insurance company that will cover a TF day but apparently there are some. The TF driving can be shocking and ive seen days where the track is shut more than its open, TF evenings IMO seem to be better.

·
12,031 Posts
Most 35s are blisteringly quick down the straight and slow round the bends.
EFA. ;)

Ive never seen an insurance company that will cover a TF day but apparently there are some.
Both CCI and Pace Ward still do TF cover. Towergate and MIS will cover track days. You can also get barrier cover at Ryan Insurance.

The TF driving can be shocking and ive seen days where the track is shut more than its open, TF evenings IMO seem to be better.
Sadly, I've witnessed shocking driving and closures on trackdays too. As I said in another thread recently; Like taste, money does not buy talent or good manners.

TF evenings are the quietest, but rarely fit in with a visiting Brits itinerary.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
EFA. ;)

Both CCI and Pace Ward still do TF cover. Towergate and MIS will cover track days. You can also get barrier cover at Ryan Insurance.

Sadly, I've witnessed shocking driving and closures on trackdays too. As I said in another thread recently; Like taste, money does not buy talent or good manners.

TF evenings are the quietest, but rarely fit in with a visiting Brits itinerary.
I spoke to Pace Ward friday they do not cover TF days

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Yeah, Pace Ward have told me in the past that they no longer cover TFs but I think do cover track days there.

Don't rely on the start of sessions being fine. Two years ago, a few of us went out right at the start of a Sunday morning session, got one lap in and the circuit was closed following a bad (we think fatal) accident. A few hours later, the track reopened but closed again (following another crash) before we were able to get there from the Hotel am Tiergarten ... It's just that sort of place!

·
12,031 Posts
...got one lap in and the circuit was closed following a bad (we think fatal) accident.
The incident on Kesselchen last July were the first fatalities on the Nordschliefe since 2011.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
The incident on Kesselchen last July were the first fatalities on the Nordschliefe since 2011.
Good to hear that the one that happened while we were there wasn't fatal as it seemed to be quite a big one. We all commented that morning about how many "super keen" people seemed to be in the car park with their racing suits, helmets and roll-caged cars.

They were talking about banning that stuff on TFs; did it ever happen?

·
12,031 Posts
Did she do a track day or TF?
Both. She went back to PW from another broker for that reason a couple of years ago. I'll check for clarification.

We all commented that morning about how many "super keen" people seemed to be in the car park with their racing suits, helmets and roll-caged cars.
That is commonplace tbh, mate. Bar the race suit, I'm one of them. ;)
Not wearing a helmet is a fool's game. I'm going in my 69hp 106 in April. I doubt I'll break 10 minutes, but I'll be wearing a helmet.

They were talking about banning that stuff on TFs; did it ever happen?
I have never heard mention of cages, etc, being banned during TF. Are you talking about proper race car testing?

Bonnet pins, outrageous aero, tow hooks, quick release steering wheels, cage door bars and some other things are all "banned" during TF, but a driver's fate is down to the whim of the marshal at the barrier.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I have never heard mention of cages, etc, being banned during TF. Are you talking about proper race car testing?
Looking back, it was mentioned on DN around 2012; when the then new owners took over. They put several ideas in place to stop people driving "too seriously" on TFs (it's a public road and all that) which seems to be what you said and unpadded roll cages.

I thought I had remembered reading something about helmets too but it was >4 years ago ...

·
12,031 Posts
The filming ban was lifted when Capricorn, who no longer own it, took over. It's now owned by a Russian, as of last year.

I've seen a few people turned away and have been turned away myself for a tow hook.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
other banned items:-
Winged seats
overly large front canards
non factory big wings

as said above though, it seems it is down to the marshalls. whims and how quiet the track is.. thursday/friday my mate got on with his 200sx with loads of aero no problem. saturday they pulled him immediately and was told to take it all off - canards, spoilers front and rear etc etc..

also, getting there first in the morning no longer seems to work on saturday and sundays...everyone else has the same idea..

But worst of all..., the morning mist/mildew makes the track damp in some places and always catches the bikers out.
we have never managed to complete 1 lap on the last 3 trips in the morning before it shuts because of this...

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Looking back, it was mentioned on DN around 2012; when the then new owners took over. They put several ideas in place to stop people driving "too seriously" on TFs (it's a public road and all that) which seems to be what you said and unpadded roll cages.

I thought I had remembered reading something about helmets too but it was >4 years ago ...
Also over the last few years the amount of "marshalls" has increased hugely, that spend a lot of time driving round all day "watching"...

there is a particular Porsche GT3 that if you pass him, almost guaranteed you will get pulled... he drives around the 8m.30s mark (which is also the max limit for the ring taxis) as this is considered to be about as quick as necessary for safety reasons on a TF day...
unwritten rules, but they are there and watching...

also, new for 2017 most of the track will be covered by cameras.. so no getting away with stupid overtakes on the wrong side etc...
instant year ban for this now i heard.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
The 'Ring' are infamous for playing down accidents, its well known that if you are alive when leaving the track then its put down as injury, I do not believe that no bikers were killed between 2011 and July 2016 and even on Wikipedia a driver is named as having died in 2012 and this is a list of race drivers no TF deaths on that list at all.

Reactions: nick the tubman
1 - 20 of 35 Posts