GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a Japanese tuner recently told me that from his experience, as far as industrialized nations go, New Zealand, France, and Korea have the worst pump gas, from the viewpoint of a highly tuned Japanese engine. Thoughts? What is is about Japanese gas that's so goddam special? He says it's not the octane, it has something to do with purity. Does more refined gas burn in a more controlled manner?

Do Japanese Skyline enthusiasts blow up their engines on a regular basis as well?

Any Kiwis here with Datalogit base maps they might want to share?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm from NZ. I use BP Ultimate (98 octane) for my skyline. unfortunately i've heard it 10 less than really stated :mad:

Cant complain too much. Havent had any problems yet.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Don't know about the techy stuff, but I know for a fact that you can buy 98 octane gas EVERYWHERE in France (you got the choice between 95 & 98) but in the UK you have to go to Shell or BP or other companies who does 98, otherwise standard here (UK) is 95

·
6,821 Posts
The japanese have many industrial sites in Japan who are producing better stuff then anywhere in the world, could be same with the gasoil.
What is funny in japan is the fact that once a new standard of industrial manufacture is attempt, it is usually kept on that level. In the west when a new standard is attempt, it is decreased in quality to make profit in first place, as quality not plays such a big role amongst western customers . . .

But on an other side the japanese are freaks when it comes to service, so I can imagine that some tuners and car manufactures are checking purity of gasoil in that spirit of total service . .if they have a point, who knows. . .;)

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do they have purity kits, where one can test the fuel? boy would I love to have one, bust out some test tubes, shake them up, then judge if the gas is worthy of putting into my car....

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
not sure about the France and NZ fuel but obviously anybody who thinks that is bad, they haven't been to Africa yet :)

fuel ratings: many people aren't aware of the rating systems i.e. MON, RON, MON+RON/2

If you in North America, you can't just compare the fuel rating to fuel in Japan or UK! 87 American may be better than 95 UK.. On knock index alone.

not talking purity or anything else.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
dunno about the cheapo stuff, but in france the v-power is the same as the uk, some placed 100 RON too. BP ultimate is widely available too, so can't see why it would be any worse than what the UK gets, especially as it quite often comes off the same ship ;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
We only get 98 octane here at either Mobil or BP. The rest of the retailers are on 91 or 96. From my understanding the 98 here is actually 96 with addictives to get 98 and it isn't a PURE 98.

I have been told NZ fuel is shit as well, but I don't really know exactly why.

·
Registered
439 Posts
This is a good topic as I am heading to NZ and was wondering about the fuel.
It seems that Japan is the only country with good fuel and the American tuner type mags also moan about the quality over there.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it's not about octane, cause 98RON or 100RON isn't impossible to get. It's something intangible...something about the blend? I checked - in testing gasoline, there are something like 30 or 40 different things that can be measured, octane being only one of them. gum content, affinity to absorbing water, you name it.

Anyways, I'm thinking that using proven Power FC maps for NZ RB26 cars would be a good starting point.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts