GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone out there tried different ones, I am trying STP at the moment, any horror stories?

I had some from TDI in a little black bottle which made a big noticable difference but used the last one a threw it away without recalling who made it.

Anyone out there got any tried and tested products?

·
Registered
961 Posts
shell optimax is the best fuel to use
with the highest octane rating and i think it has a higher
octane number the stated by 2-3 and shell are spreadin the optimax to 80-90% of forcourts
and they say it burns cleaner than normal fuel

heres a link to a tread (octane booster )
lots of info

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1238

(i MAY be wrong )

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
octane

thanks, but I am talking about fuel additive not the fuel.

By the way, if anyone is interested I had a good chat with Martin Reyland who informed me a few weeks back that one of his contacts had actually tested Optimax and it had negative effects when used with turbocharged engines conpared with na.

Ferrari recommend it but is it good for our far east monsters?

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I was under the impression before buying my car that Japanese cars ran on 100RON, but others have stated its actually 97.5 RON (or close to).

I'm tempted to try Optimax to see what kind of difference it would make, but since my car has been prepped for SUL, I'm reluctant to do it - at least not before I get a Power FC or equivalent.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
booster

I have optimax in my R34 at the moment and can confirm that it feels no different. Although Martin suggested not to use it I thought, well, one tank wont hurt and if it does then I will get my wallet out again.

I have so far noticed a huge difference using what I think was Wynnes OB, 2 bottles of - per tank using super plus ( 98 ron) so according to the bottle and original ron should be running at 102 ron as 2 ron per bottle.

I ran it like that for about a month and it genuinely made my car feel and respond different. It always picked up quicker, revved cleaner and gave out some rather great backfires.

I am sure that its not good for the engine in the long run, but hey, we all own skylines and know the consequences!

When I get the time I shall go back to TDI and buy a few more boxes. I originally paid £ 3 per bottle which wasnt bad.

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
I wont use Optimax after all the scare stories on other bulletin boards. It's not that I necessarily believe the other boards it's just that I'd rather not take the risk.

As for octane booster I use NF Octane Booster. If you want to know more drop Craig a line on [email protected].

John

·
Registered
832 Posts
I've used Optimax since it first came out, bar about 5 tankfulls or so and I've never had any issues with it at all. In fact I've noticed that the EGT gauge stays at a lower temp when booting it, so it does actually burn more efficiently than SUL and therefore must be better.

IMO anyway.

·
Registered
961 Posts

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DET

Probably going to be one of those ' depends on your opinion' for the optimax subject. the octain boosters defo made a diference when running at a supposed 102 ron though, how long have you been using the booster you mention? how do you run it and what if any difference have you noticed?

Dirk.

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Dirk,

I used to use Millers OB with SUL for road use doubled up for the track and it was very effective. Since the introduction of Optimax, it's the only fuel I'll use now but without the need for an OB. Ask anybody with a Power FC or det. gauge fitted and they'll tell you that there's no doubt that Optimax definitely has a higher octane rating than other SUL's. I do use NF OB but only for track work now.

It would be interesting to see some more scientific results about Optimax rather than the normal 'a mate of mate says' hearsay. There are also stories about damage caused to engines by long term use of an OB....

For what it's worth, I do know that a well respected Skyline garage fairly local to you swears by the stuff.

You may have already read this thread....

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1238

Cheers.

Peter.

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
Optimax SUL's & Octane Booster

Yessum, more confusion and as Peter E says I would also like to see some scientific results !! When I got my R34 GT-S I ran it on Optimax and it "felt" good, seemed to give a few more mpg's, but then was in a situation (like we all get into dsometimes) where none of the preffered fuel was available, and hence had to use a SUL of the BP fame and didn't really notice a lot of "negative" response. Some swear by it and some don't. Also, found out that the speedo was incorrect so 30mpg was not real !!!
I have used SUL and Octane boost in the R33 (Octane boost for track days) and was wondering if the "best" a man could get would be Shell Optimax and Millers Octane boost for the circuit ? Will let you know after this Saturday at Goodwood, if I can find a Shell garage there !!
Anyone interested in coming along :)
Keep it on the BlackStuff

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
booster

yeh, just remembered, it was millers I used as well, not Wynnes., little black bottle with long spout.

Just ordered some more today - good stuff.........

Until anyone can recommend a better one I'll stick with the millers stuff.

defo ditching the stp, have run for the last couple of weeks and nothing great to report at all.

Regards

Dirk.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts