GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 361 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I know this has been covered before but as the search function doesn't work I can't find the old threads covering this.

I'm trying to find out which is the best Octane Booster to use.
I am going to Le Mans in June and am unsure how good the fuel is in France and what I should be using.

Anyone know a good Octane booster and what RON the fuel is in France.

Cost is not so important, I just want the one that will give the most poke :smokin: (and least det :mad: )

I'm sure I saw Ian SuttoN1 flogging bottles of something at the Grasshopper.
Got any left ?

Jez

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Philip,

Thanks,

that's the kind of stuff I am looking for.

Also how is the fuel labelled in France, i.e what is french for normal and Super ( I presume super is 98 RON ).

Look forward to having a few beers in France.

Jez

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Jez

I can get hold of some millers stuff from the 200+ club.
I have been meaning to get some if you want to share a box load.
Send me a pm mate or give me a shout.

Nick

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hi Jez

The Stuff that Ian was selling is NF IMHO it is the best I have tired 5 other types it is the only one where I have truely FELT a difference. It apparently cam out tops on independent tests.

Try it!!

SJD

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
MILLARS CVL IS THE BEST

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THOUGHT I WOULD POST THIS AGAIN SO THAT EVERYONE
CAN SEE IT

well i spoke to the chemist guy from millars today
and he told me if i was to use the CVL with our 97 super plus
it takes it up a full 3 points =100 octane fuel

the only thing it is more money to buy and
it only does 20L instead of 40L

cant wait till the optimax comes to aberdeen
98.6 + CVL = 101.6 THE POODLES NOODLES

THE VSP AND THE OCTANE PLUS ARE OK BUT NOTHING
LIKE THE CVL
£4.00 PER BOTTLE

KEITH

·
Registered
492 Posts
Demon Tweaks

These guys do a good brew in a can. It's around £7 a pop and one can does 2 tank fulls. You can buy it on line and get it delivered right to your door for free.

It's called:

Silkolene Octane Pro-Boost.

Rupert

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
Don't bite me please.

This Millars stuff, is it a 'real' octane booster or a 'Knock sensor fooler'

I ask because here at the Institute we have conducted a lot of tests on 'Octane enhancers' Not one actually does 'what it says on the can' except by only the thinnest of margins. The best result was an improvement of 0.59 of an octane. (about the same as the pump tolerance)

What we did find was that the 'better' ones changed the properties of the 'knock' and this fooled the engines sensors into thinking all was OK.

We found the only viable (and not very at that) alternative was Toluene, mixed at 9 parts pump fuel 1 part Toluene, this gave about 4% increase in power at the flywheel, across the rev range.

Could you point me in the direction of the formula or something similar?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Anything in a bottle smaller than a can of coke can't really do anything for your octane rating IMO.

Toluene...is THE way of boosting Octane 10:1 mix is what I've been recommended but it depends on how good your ECU is at adapting to it.

Proboost and Millers just can't compare....only problem is that Toluene is not allowed to be bought as fuel. So you just say you want it for thinning paint or degreasing. Try Albion Chemicals...I think they are nationaly based...they took over Hays Chemicals.

Its cheaper than Fuel! I bought 75L for about £45...I think...I have family in the trade...it always helps!! :D

·
Registered
248 Posts
Have used Millers and Silkolene and many others. NF is the only product where I have felt results.

In an independent test of 10 boosters it came out on top, it can give up to 6 ron at only 15mls per litre.

Take a Pepsi challenge, trust me you won't be disappointed.

Oh and I don't sell this either etc, just my experience. NOS make a booster which is meant to be pretty tasty as well.

SJD

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Don't forget, if you leave fuel in the tank for a few days it can lose up to 2 RON.

Not sure how long it has to saty and under what conditions but worth bearing in mind if you are going to get serious about this stuff.

I like the sound of Toluene, but how critical is it in getting the mixture right?

John

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
offer to the board

if any of you fellows wants some Octance booster then I can get a box of 10 bottles for a good price. Works out around 3 pounds a bottle.
Just don't ask me to deliver it. It is the millers stuff BTW
See you when I see you.
Send me a pm as opposed to replying to board post.
Nick

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Glen,

I think you have the answer !

If I drive really slow everyone will see my wheels and I won't need Octane Booster ;)

Thanks for all your help guys, I'll probably get some booster of some sort just to be on the safe side, I think Toluene is carcinogenic though so I may avoid that one.

Jez

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I think that is what it is all about..safety..

you probably thin the car is flying and if you think so then it will!!
I just want to use it to make sure that I have no issues with det on the rollers when the car and air temp is going up as more cars get in there and warm up the ambient temp.
Better safe than sorry.

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
Hmm, that is interesting, the tests we did here was for the Motoring Industry 'watchdog' JDPower and the results were not good, no one (independent) has EVER been able to match the manufacturers claims.

To up the Octane we used to add a Lead Ether (deriv), this was really nasty stuff in pure form as it almost instantly (in contact with the skin) went straight to the frontal lobes of the brain and destroyed 'Higher Function' responses there, it literally sent you 'mad'.

We now use Benzene to provide this property to some extent, it does not have such a marked effect on the body, it just causes Respiratory diseases in the population at large.

ANY product that does what you want (up the Octane rating) is not very 'nice' to handle.

Toluene is benign in comparison with those two other products is similar in handling qualities to Petroleum spirit, but is the finest additive for Turbo'ed motors we have ever encountered.

It has one other property that really 'makes' it for me because of the nature of its flame propagation it is more temperature tolerant than Petrol alone, you can run higher intake temps with a much, very much, slower power fall off curve, and it won't fall before 45C has been reached, a full 20C above petrol.

I would still like pointers to this Millars stuff that had any 'real' info on its constituent parts, all I've found so far is not helpful at all.

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Which Toluene?

???

BUTYLATED HYDROXYTOLUENE FOOD
TOLUENE / SBP BLEND
CRODA TOLUENE/IPS1 BLEND
ETHYL-P-TOLUENE SULPHONATE
PARATOLUENE SULPHONIC ACID
TOLUENE

???

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
????????????????

what about if you pee in the tank after a session on the aftershocks?
It has been known to strip the paint off supras and subarus in the local area that I am not a big fan of!!

JOKE JOKE JOKE JOKE!!!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Nick

Your Boat has been known to strip the paint of local supras and subarus let alone your wazz;)

SJD

1 - 20 of 361 Posts