GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi yet another silly question :)

Ive found a switch in the car that isn't in the manual.

Its not the added rear fog rocker, Ive found that - though it is a rocker switch with one side showing Y and the other with the v bit of the Y filled in - seems to do bugger all.

Any clues what it might be?

·
Registered
720 Posts
I think your talking about the electric antenna switch. Try switching the stereo on, then playing with the switch. The antenna should go up or down.

Jason.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Yep I found a similar switch in a car I borrowed once and it's so you can have the car aerial half way or fully extended.

Fraser

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
No low bridges, but lots of sheep..................but you already knew that didn't you !!! :)

I think the theory is that like a TV aerial, if you've got too much signal it can be just as bad as if you don't have enough. So if you're too close to a transmitter, you can drop the aerial to reduce signal........................or maybe it's just a button the japs put in for fun to watch us talk about it's purpose !

:D :D

Fraser

·
Registered
515 Posts
I may be talking bollocks....

But....someone once told me the story behind this!

It might be cobblers and I may be next to Homer Simpson under the dictionary listing for gullible but....

The reason the aerials are adjustable like that is because in Japan there are lots of tunnels that are only 6 feet high. This is due to some silly old bylaw that states that a tunnel must be 6 feet high to allow cattle to pass through/under these tunnels which are usually in farming areas. The tunnels connect fields to roads and other fields.

Well what do you think? Am I talking cobblers?

James

·
Registered
961 Posts

you mean parking lots the barriers

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
Aierial

Yep that wot its for !!

·
Registered
404 Posts
A good guess but wrong

A good guess but wrong :confused:

The half height switch is for lowering the Arial so you can park the car in one of those over and under garages.

They’re quit common in main land Europe and Asian cities.

Paul.

PS I park my car in one I’ll post a picture of it next month when I get home.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Don't be silly Fuggles.

I heard that if you leave the lights and the music on, any would-be-thief thinks there is someone in the car and won't nick it? Maybe thats where the pimp tint comes in as well.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Antenna Switch

The antenna switch lowers the antenna for better reception of different frequencies with different waveform lengths. It's basically the difference between picking up Jap FM and AM waveforms (larger distance between the used frequencies than in UK).

Rupert

·
Registered
492 Posts
Good point...

Aerodynamic drag is of course another reason - The main one though is that it really impresses women…

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Adjusting the length of the antenna, to optimise perfomance between the frequencies used in AM and FM transmissions, will have a negligible effect. The antenna is so small at MW frequencies as to be practically non existant. That's my educated opinion BTW :D

I subscribe to the cattle tunnel theory.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
;)
Rupert, it would make a great pub story, and with a little embelishment I can see all the MAXer's adjusting their 'Bee-Sting' antennas with a pair of side snips for better reception of GarageFM. :rolleyes:

Glen, should know if it'd catch on ;)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts