GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read in a few places that the std R32 ecu is an 8 bit which by todays standards is prehistoric. The R33 ecu is a faster 16 bit unit. I guess most modern units are now 32 bit.

What were the differences in the processing power between the R33 and R34 ecus and can an R33/34 ecu be fitted to an R32? If so what mods are needed to the wiring?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Hi mate,

R32 and R33 ECU's are exchangable, R34 ECU is different...

...no idea if there's really a difference in processing power or if it's just some pins tho.

But honestly speaking I'd go for an aftermarket ECU anyways as then you can really fully adjust the settings to your setup and needs :thumbsup:

Regarding what aftermarket ECU to go for I think most modern ECU's are pretty much equal, so I'd see what your mapper prefers and maybe he also already has some good base maps from a similar setup to start with, as this would make mapping quicker and cheaper :)

Cheers,

Leo

·
Registered
9,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi mate,

R32 and R33 ECU's are exchangable, R34 ECU is different...

...no idea if there's really a difference in processing power or if it's just some pins tho.

But honestly speaking I'd go for an aftermarket ECU anyways as then you can really fully adjust the settings to your setup and needs :thumbsup:

Regarding what aftermarket ECU to go for I think most modern ECU's are pretty much equal, so I'd see what your mapper prefers and maybe he also already has some good base maps from a similar setup to start with, as this would make mapping quicker and cheaper :)

Cheers,

Leo
That is a problem, finding a good mapper who to use etc. I was thinking of getting an R33 ECU and sending it to Mine's along with my engine spec. I want to keep all the fail safe sensors, knock control etc.

But your right after market is the option...

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
That is a problem, finding a good mapper who to use etc. I was thinking of getting an R33 ECU and sending it to Mine's along with my engine spec. I want to keep all the fail safe sensors, knock control etc.

But your right after market is the option...
As i understand from our pm conversations you are intending to do this rebuild properly and tune it ?
Presuming this is correct you need a mappable ecu. There is no way mines can "map" your stock ecu as well as a decent mapper using a decent ecu because the stock ecus dont have the adjustment.
Imho spending money on a good ecu and map is at least as important as on the internals probably more so.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
The knock control isn't that great on the factory ecu. DSP is something that has improved alot over twenty years in speed and sensitivity. I think the latest Vipec comes with it built in. Link you can buy as an extra. Syvecs has it I think.

The only way to calibrate and ecu for a modified car properly is live map on a dyno. Off the shelf chips work for stock or a new exhaust maybe but not for the level of mods you have.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
I had a mines ecu on a mildly tuned r32 GTR. It was fine as it was a low state of tune but for anything more serious then you would be crazy if you didnt use something that was custom tune.

I would recommend something that uses a MAP sensor over the air flow meters and importantly is something your tuner, or a tuner you are able to get to, is familiar with and has a good track record of tuning.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Oh and for what it's worth I was always after the power fc d jetro with hand controller. Old tech nowadays but I suspect alot of skyline tuners will still be familiar with it.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Just need to put my faith in someone who can give me a good map I guess.
Research the crap out of who does what well and go to them.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
I work for a Tuning Company.....and although I don't have anything to do with tuning the cars, I can tell you, if you think you can get a half decent tune by giving a tuner a bunch of specs of your engine.....you're not, it'll be shit.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,209 Posts
I have read in a few places that the std R32 ecu is an 8 bit which by todays standoffersis prehistoric. The R33 ecu is a faster 16 bit unit. I guess most modern units are now 32 bit.

What were the differences in the processing power between the R33 and R34 ecus and can an R33/34 ecu be fitted to an R32? If so what mods are needed to the wiring?
With the cost of the above you could buy a decent ECU and get it mapped.

Of all the things in cars the one which had improved the most the past 25 years are the computers.

I'm no ECU expert but there are a whole host of things beyond speed to look at with ECU development. Resolution springs to mind as an obvious thought. Likewise have a look at the features which say Syvecs offers compared to oem.

·
Registered
9,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess one area where the OE ecu would be handy is in the ability to rev without resorting to trigger discs and crank picks as most if not all aftermarket ECU have timing scatter at high rpms. How about the Apexi Power FC? does that also suffer at high rpms?

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,209 Posts
I guess one area where the OE ecu would be handy is in the ability to rev without resorting to trigger discs and crank picks as most if not all aftermarket ECU have timing scatter at high rpms. How about the Apexi Power FC? does that also suffer at high rpms?
Why do you think that the OEM ECU doesn't get 'scatter' at high rpm?

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,209 Posts
You seldom hear about issues with scatter, lots of tuners in Japan run an oem ecu with something like an Fcon pro and rev their cars hard be it track or drag.
Doesn't mean that the issue isn't there. As I understand it the 'scatter' is down to the reading being taken from the camshaft which is connected via belt.

Even with a smoothing factor the output will be out of sync with the crank as the belt flexes and stretches.

Is it a massive problem? Perhaps not the Link in my car seems to cope with it fine but I can understand that a trigger directly on the crank would give a better (more accurate) reading.

The older ECU will still have less features, lower resolution etc

For my money I can see the point of the Nistune (I had one). Once I got to wanting to go beyond the OEM MAFs there was a cost associated with bigger MAFs. For similar money I could have an ECU which did more, did it better, didn't need (relatively) expensive MAFs and meant that I could control boost from the ECU rather than with another plug in box.

If you are set on the using the OEM ECU then have a look at the Nistunes. They make a nice halfway house.

·
Premium Member
11,878 Posts
What about the 02 sensors? and rewiring them?
It is my understanding that Zirconia and titania work differently.
Zirconia produced a voltage with oxygen and titania has a differing resistance with oxygen.

So i cannot see that the 2 are interchangeable.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.