GTR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, I had gone all out and bought a Tomei head gasket for plenty of dough, thinking, well, seems like a necessary upgrade. I just got my Nissan RB26 engine overhaul kit today though (all basic gaskets and a toothpaste tube full of, uh, gasket gunk?), which also includes an OEM Nissan RB26 head gasket. Now I'm looking at this thing, and it's no paper job like on many a stock car. This looks like a solid chunk of metal too. So what gives? What's the real difference? Why does the OEM head gasket "not cut it", when it's a pretty solid looking metal head gasket?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Gasket

I believe the stock head gasket is really good and seldom if ever blow.I am led to believe the normal reason people change is to lower the compression and also for that little bit of piece of mind...I may be wrong on this though and im sure someone will be on shortly who can verify.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dang. If anything, I'd have gone with a 1mm gasket then (OEM is 1.2mm if I'm not mistaken, at least that's what the Tomei I ordered is)....thinner gasket to up the compression a bit and increase low-end a touch (I'll never run anything bigger than GT-SS turbos, *maybe* 2530s but doubt I'd even go that big).

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Gasket

Im sure your 1.2mm is fine if not better than the 1mm.. Have you gone for cams?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im sure your 1.2mm is fine if not better than the 1mm.. Have you gone for cams?
Tomei Type A Poncams (260 intake, 256 exhaust) are at the top of the shopping list - I don't plan on doing any further head modifications so I think that'll top off my street tune GTR plans....hope to end up with over 500hp and be utterly unbeatable by anything on the road under 100mph :)

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Gasket

I think around 1.2 is the normal, after this most tuners would replace with an aftermarket gasket.Although i read that none of the tuners have saw a standard gasket blow as yet..I was looking to run 1.3 so it would be good to know if with the correct tuning that the standard gasket would be ok at this level.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts