GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Off to France for a bit of a road rally in a couple of weeks and had a couple of questions:

1. Does anyone know where you can get some head-lamp converters from?

2. Also, is there anything to worry about concerning the speed camera warnings on the Sat-Nav? Is it sufficient to just turn them off via the consul.

Lastly and this is more of a tip for those going to France apparently everyone over there is using icoyote to get around the speed cameras and the mobile gendarmes, anyone come across this?

·
Premium Member
1,995 Posts
You can get beam converters at halfrauds or local petrol station before the crossing..
turn off speed camera warnings from the builtin satnav..
Also don't forget you need your own breathalyzers now when in france.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
If you upgraded the sat nab maps then the France cameras have been dropped.
I think the breathalyser thing is yet another urban legend!
You do need safety vests, etc.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
I think the breathalyser thing is yet another urban legend!
Thats not correct, became law about 2 years ago. . As above though you`ll need a luminous jacket for every person in the car.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Halfords do a euro pack that has everything you need. Take it you're talking about Rico rally? We can't wait!

Have you got your Swiss vignette?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Your car doesn't need beam deflectors,
If you bought them ,you wouldn't even know we're to stick them as the glass doesn't have prisms on anymore,
Hi vis vest in the car within arms reach
Spare set of bulbs
Triangle
Speed cameras turned off,
And no radar jammers, moll

Breath test kits were never legally made law,, so the French have just dropped it,
Drive save ,, the French love knicking the Brits,, it's their law

Goldie

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Halfords do a euro pack that has everything you need. Take it you're talking about Rico rally? We can't wait!

Have you got your Swiss vignette?
We cant wait either, really looking forward to it!! :)

Yeah, we got the Swiss Vignette (have to admit very efficient the swiss, paid for it on tuesday, received it today!)

Are you going down on the Saturday?

·
Registered
341 Posts
That's the plan. Got some last minute work to do on the car but all being well should be in kent for early evening in time for a couple of pints.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I believe you have to have proof of insurance the stamp on the windscreen is not enough.
And car registration.

Edit because ....

watch the speed on France apparently they can cease your car.(Not sure if this is true)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Yep..they can absolutely cease your car if you've been really bad. Mostly they're out for fines though. I got good at spotting the blue cars at a distance. Even got followed for a good few miles by an undercover but managed to avoid any fines.

Take it easy through France. There's plenty of roads to enjoy once you cross the borders.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'm off to France next Wednesday for Le Mans and a track day in spa, lovely weeks holiday full of fun, speed and lunacy lol

Just blind the French........payback lol
Light deflectors as said are a waste of time with our cars
Watch your speed through France as the toll booths are timed and you'll get fines if you breach the time between booths

Have a good time though, the roads in Europe is where these cars come into their own so enjoy but be carefully at the same time

·
Registered
992 Posts
Not all booths are timed... I've got a house in lower Normandy and regularly raced from Calais via the toll roads trying to beat my times lol.... If Le Mans is on they will be out in force on the main roads so be careful and the timers are set.... However bear in mind there is a services just before the last toll so you can pull in for a pee and not be timed ;)

They can cease your car and ban you for a period making it hard to get your car out unless you have someone who can drive it legally.

You need hi viz, 2 breathalysers, bulb kit, GB somewhere.... That's the main stuff.

·
Registered
341 Posts
That's good news about the light deflectors because they are quite ugly when fitted.

Jason, I recommend getting/hiring a walkie talkie for the Rico trip. Lots of good banter and you'll get warnings of speed traps from the people up front.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Thats not correct, became law about 2 years ago. . As above though you`ll need a luminous jacket for every person in the car.
Urban legend: An apocryphal, secondhand story told as true and just plausible enough to be believed, about some horrific, embarrassing, ironic, or exasperating series of events that supposedly happened to a real person.

Seize - the word you're all been looking for where the France take your car rather than the word you're using for when your brakes/engine lock up!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Seize - the word you're all been looking for where the France take your car rather than the word you're using for when your brakes/engine lock up!
Drunk - inebriated through the consumption of alcohol (red wine in this case) often rendering the subject unable to form coherent sentences and correctly spell words such as seize.

Slightly different subject but does anyone know where I can get hold of the cd to update the satnav? Seems it's impossible to download it from anywhere.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Slightly different subject but does anyone know where I can get hold of the cd to update the satnav? Seems it's impossible to download it from anywhere.
I left a set at Litchfield, where are you based, I could cut a new set for you (I'm near thruxton)

Google x9 connect for download options

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'm down in Cornwall. Tried for quite a while to find a torrent but no seeds. Happy to pay costs if you could possibly post a set?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts