GTR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well finally done it, booked today for a few of us to go to spa Tuesday 9th sept and we are going to nur on the Sunday for a few laps.

Any tips as I'm a newbie to this lark. Need to check my insurance and get breakdown cover, need to buy a go pro with a good mounting for some footage.

Any other advice?

·
Super Moderator
31,250 Posts
It's not all about the laps at The Ring. Take time to spectate from as many places as possible as well. It's a huge waste to spend the whole time in the car park.

·
Premium Member
2,925 Posts
As has been said, take the Ring slowly for the first few laps and don't go for a time - just enjoy the atmosphere and understand the demands that this circuit places on a driver as well as the car.

As far as Spa is concerned, this is all about carrying speed when you knowledge of the circuit is clear. Eau Rouge cannot be taken flat in a GT-R whatever people tell you.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
As far as Spa is concerned, this is all about carrying speed when you knowledge of the circuit is clear. Eau Rouge cannot be taken flat in a GT-R whatever people tell you.
Dead right...you gain so much speed downhill towards eau rouge that it would take balls of steel to even try it....it would end up a massive fail as well.

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm new to spa and nur and still got alot to learn on track period.

Spoken with ants and won't do many laps at all at nur but will take some slow and then just enjoy spectating

·
Registered
777 Posts
This might sound like a stupid question but, have you checked the Touristenfahrten dates and times for when you want to go? Assuming you're not going on a closed circuit track day.... They aren't as obviously available as some people think nowadays.

Have a great trip.

Edit; sorry, I've just noticed you said Nordschleife on the Sunday, normally open all day. Until it gets closed!

·
Real men use a H-Pattern.
12,026 Posts
I'm new to spa and nur and still got alot to learn on track period.

Spoken with ants and won't do many laps at all at nur but will take some slow and then just enjoy spectating

Fair one.

At Ring, which is open for TF Sat evening and all day Sunday, you can buy 4x laps for E100 - which will probably be more than enough for a first visit. Take your helmet and blag some pax laps - most people will oblige. As Mook says, there is stuff to do if the track is shut.

I'll be there with a few friends Sat/Sun before heading to Spa for Mon/Tue.

Just remember that you do not have insurance whilst on the Nordschleife.

Safety Video ;-)

Old Safety Video

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
If it's a TF day at the ring then it's a bit of a lottery what you'll get, traffic / crash etc wise but a great experience nonetheless.
I would strongly recommend doing a few tens - hundred laps on PS Gran Turismo 5 in a similar type of car to give you a good chance to enjoy the track without having to think about the line and which way the exits from bends go. Whilst you don't get an appreciation for the elevation it is an excellent way of familiarising yourself with the direction and even the sort of speeds you can be doing to an extent so you can concentrate on the driving and not get "lost".
The lads and I drive it loads of times forwards and backwards on the PS in prep and for me it was then immediately familiar first time out. Not to say it'll turn you into a ring god just prepare you adequately to enjoy good progress for first time out.. imo.
BTW you can also do SPA, which is easier to remember ;-)
also maybe consider giving RSR a call to get an expert in the car with you. Not expensive.

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." ;)
Benjamin Franklin

·
Registered
244 Posts
All the above are wise words but my best experience at the ring was meeting the German guy with the ring vtec mini. We made contact with him before we left and he and his mates met us there, then he took us out in his mini estate.

What an experience!
You tube clips:
Ring Mini. The fast edit. Nurburgring. - YouTube

He is a nice bloke and does have a website, alternatively if your interested, PM me and I can give you his mobile number. He knows the track like the back of his hand and is a great driver.

Spa is great, and the best lunch I have ever had at any track!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
As has been said, take the Ring slowly for the first few laps and don't go for a time - just enjoy the atmosphere and understand the demands that this circuit places on a driver as well as the car.

Wise words. Ring narrower than you might expect and can be very unforgiving of a mistake. Bit like Isle of Man, you need to do A LOT of laps before even getting close to knowing the road. The comp games help in learning turns but elevation change is a significant factor. Enjoy some steady laps, trying to prove how fast you are on a course you don't know is just asking for trouble.

Spa, great place but is heavy on brakes. It will find out standard brakes pretty quick. I tried Eau Rouge flat to the floor in 5th in my 32. Once. Getting through dip is fine but as you climb the car drifts left and that concrete berm is BIG. We hit it drifting sideways at around 130mph, took off and trust me, I was turning the steering wheel left for the exit but to little effect about two feet in the air. We landed and it was then a battle to get her to go left before disappearing through the run off and into the tyre wall. Flat in 4th after that............

Enjoy yourself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts