GTR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So more bad news...

Normal drive home no different to any other until I decided to overtake (quite normal and safe etc etc )...

But mid overtake - no power ;(

Initially I thought bugger i've popped an IC hose again (won't be the first or last time i've done that) until I realised I wasn't slowing as quickly.

Dropped back (slightly embarrassing) and started to play with the throttle to work it out. Radio off and all I could here was road noise until touching boost. But it wouldn't make boost... It just gave me a crackerly whiny noise like a noisey tractor... And from this I assume its the turbo's (or at least the first which starts the second spooling).

If its not the turbo('s) only thing I can think of is that it might (its wishful thinking) be the turbo inlet gaskets as it is similar to the gasket failure I had on the GTST.

Any suggestions/advice welcomed.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
But it wouldn't make boost... It just gave me a crackerly whiny noise like a noisey tractor... And from this I assume its the turbo's (or at least the first which starts the second spooling).
to be honest it sounds to me like broken proppellor blades in the turbo. what turbos do you have? how old? the turbos are not in series! one doesnt spool the other!

kev

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Kev

Ah thanks for that (i had it in my head the first spooled the other - doh).

Turbo's are standard (R33 GTR on R33 GTR). Its a V-Spec but haven't found that to be an issue for replacing. I've already read that they are a common failure :(

It was pushing 1 bar (mapped) so guess that was inevitable but was hopeful.

Was looking at rebuilding them but decided I was going to sell up and take a different route - guess thats out of the window now until I at least replace like for like.

·
Vendor
12,590 Posts
Hi Kev

Ah thanks for that (i had it in my head the first spooled the other - doh).

Turbo's are standard (R33 GTR on R33 GTR). Its a V-Spec but haven't found that to be an issue for replacing. I've already read that they are a common failure :(

It was pushing 1 bar (mapped) so guess that was inevitable but was hopeful.

Was looking at rebuilding them but decided I was going to sell up and take a different route - guess thats out of the window now until I at least replace like for like.
I have tubbies in stock:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts