GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, great news you might think, and yes, in ever conceivable way it is. But one. Apparently the Skyline isn't 'practical' and will have to go!

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo! :(

"It's got back seats, and a large boot I" say.

"Yes, but there's no rear doors and it drinks petrol like a fish" she says.

"But it makes me happy" I say.

"Ben, it's time you grew up and became responsible now that you have a child on the way" she says.

Bugger, how the hell do I compete with that?

So there you have it. I've had my favourite toy ever for approximately ten months, and already I know I have to get rid of it.

Still, i've got eight months. Eight months more of pure, unadulterated driving pleasure.

Anybody out there manage to have kids and run a Skyline as their only car?

Ben (wishing he'd been a little less drunk seven weeks ago)

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Buy a cheap car as a runabout:)

I have an 8 month old and she has been out in my Skyline on numerous occisions, no issues with only 2 doors, in fact my mrs says its easier to put a baby in a child seat when there are only 2 doors, coz it means you can rest your back on the front seat and fit them into the carseat whilst you are directly in front of them.:D

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Yeah, great news you might think, and yes, in ever conceivable way it is. But one. Apparently the Skyline isn't 'practical' and will have to go!

"Ben, it's time you grew up and became responsible now that you have a child on the way" she says.

So there you have it. I've had my favourite toy ever for approximately ten months, and already I know I have to get rid of it.

Still, i've got eight months. Eight months more of pure, unadulterated driving pleasure.

Congrats pal!

But IMHO no woman should tell you what car you should or shouldnt have. Mine has absolutely no say in the matter and doesnt care anyway. She has a normal car for child carrying which is very inexpensive.

·
GTROC Member
5,037 Posts
Congrats mate :)

Got to be the cheap run-about car option ! Failing that, it cant be THAT much of an issue to put baby seat in the back ?

Tell her you'll drive slower and stick it straight into 5th like a mincab driver, wont drink so much fuel then ;)

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
Years (and years) back I had an S12 Silvia and still had it when daughter #1 was born. It was actually very practical. My arguement was, to (now ex)wife's agreement, was that its actually EASIER to place child in car seat in a 2/3 door vehicle than a 4/5. RUBBISH, you may scoff but think about it.....

Lets say you have your R32GTR...open passengers door....put left foot in rear footwell and place child in seat. Very good for your back as your face-on to the seat and arms are not outstretched.
Now, lets do the same in your 5-door Mondeo....Open rear passengers door....lift child over the high sides of the seat and place into seat. Bear in mind that you'll probably have your arms further away from your body than the GTR example and be twisting your back slightly. As any manual handling consultant (new wife!) will tell you, a 3-door car is much better for baby and your back.
People seem to think 4/5 doors are practical for kids but their WRONG!. The fact that the GTR has a big boot as well only serves to cement the fact that for a child-taxi their great.
Now pregnant wives/girlfriends....stick that in your pipes and smoke it

TT

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
And exactly what does fuel consumption have to do with child practicality?????How many new mums want that nice new V8 Land Rover (or similar) for junior with its appaling MPG???

TT

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Congrats pal!

But IMHO no woman should tell you what car you should or shouldnt have. Mine has absolutely no say in the matter and doesnt care anyway. She has a normal car for child carrying which is very inexpensive.
Absolutely right!

She is just using it as an excuse I suspect, how on earth is what car you drive a reflection on how good a parent you will be? Least when your little one is dropped off at Nursery or wherever, you can PI$$ on the scooby owning dad's rusk's.:D :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Mycroft,
It'd be easier to establish if it's definately hers. :D

The R33 is perfectly practical as a family car, plenty of room in the boot for the knock down pram and some groceries. More than can be said for our 206, which required the groceries on the floor of the back seat with the pram filling the boot.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have seen a few threads on ere like this now, God you must get yourself a nice Irish gal lol. Maybe try the cheap run around option as discussed earlier, Or something decent enough to keep her in doors happy. Failing that get one or them roof boxes. LOL "Only messing"

P.S>>> Congrats to the pair of ya`z on the other hand.....

·
Registered
2,304 Posts

No should do it!

Seriously - when I was a young we used to go away for a week to Pontins in a Mini with 3 adults, two kids and luggage. She's spoilt your missus is:D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Actually, she's always had it in for the Skyline. I bought it withought asking her first (guys, never, ever do this!), and then when we got it the suspension was knackered and she spent months whinging about the hard ride. I have to admit, it was a nightmare, but a set of Teins soon sorted that out.

I think her main motivation is a financial one, however. It's not the cheapest car in the world to run, and the regular trips from London to Devon that we make cost a flippimng fortune in fuel.

I'm going to have to work on her a bit, but she's willful. Oh yes, she's willful.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
baby = sell skyline = rubbish
Everyone at work winds me up about this.
I have no intention of selling my car:mad:
put your foot down now or face a lifetime of being told what to do:)
DAMN RIGHT.

For good sake, just buy a cheap (£500 or so) diesel and make the GTR a weekend only car for fun.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.