GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ohlins, replacing s-tune, are on my r34 gtr and I like the feel already however it sounds like someone left a spanner in my trunk, at low speed I can hear clank clank clunk etc. Not like OMG that is loud, just like, eh, what is broken back there.
Don't hear it from the front.

Is that just the way it is gonna be? shop says it is because of the metal mounts. Or should I look harder for a cause.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
sounds like the springs are coming unseated.
jack it up at the back and see if the springs are loose.

What's the posture (ride height) like compared to standard or s-tune?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the ride height is a little lower than the s-tunes, which was -20mm, as 265s are rubbing a bit on full lock..

I'll check into the springs theory, thanks. Hard to imagine those moving I don't need big bumps to get a clank, just little road ripples at low speed makes the noise..

so it isn't "normal" for some track oriented coilovers to click and clunk at the mounting point? .. like the whole "pillowtop" and so on thing is more the feel, not the noise?

·
Registered
428 Posts
So ohlins, replacing s-tune, are on my r34 gtr and I like the feel already however it sounds like someone left a spanner in my trunk, at low speed I can hear clank clank clunk etc. Not like OMG that is loud, just like, eh, what is broken back there.
Don't hear it from the front.

Is that just the way it is gonna be? shop says it is because of the metal mounts. Or should I look harder for a cause.
I can tell you this as a bike owner/racer that ohlin's car type suspension is totally different to the bike quality that the name susggests.. I've been told this by suspension rebuilders in the past as i nearly bort some.. They are not the same internal's and suffer failure very quickly and are built by a totally different company.. Sorry to point this out.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
My old HKS shock clunked when the preload on the springs wasnt tight enough, check the coil springs arent loose on the platforms as Ian said it sounds like they arent seated properly.
:)
bob

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that isn't correct mate, at least not for these. I got them in Japan and took them to the guy who turns up at the aussie race meets to setup their suspensions. His workshop wall was covered with posters signed like "couldn't have done it without you mate, **** Doohan xxx". (that's a manly sort of kiss, of course).

He serviced them with all the same bits he keeps stock of for the bike shocks and said yeah these were the real deal, produced by ohlins europe. (He warned before I came in that if they were Japanese origin ohlins, as some other models are, he wouldn't be able to help) and were a quality product.

anyone else, perhaps someone who runs them and doesn't hear any mount noise?

·
Registered
197 Posts
knocking ohlins ...

:bowdown1:hi, ive just had mine rebuilt on my r33, drove up the road and heard a loud knocking, went back and it was the rear top mount needed tightening up a little bit. all sorted now and feels alot better 110percent !! bloody expensive tho ! big thanks to russ at **** gardiner racing,barnsley.:bowdown1:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts