Votes: 117 95.9%
  • No

Votes: 5 4.1%
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Oil catch tanks

I'm in same position. Spoke to Rob at RIPS via e-mail this wk/end he says not good to vent oil vapour back into intake !
Now having a serious chat with myself about buying 1 of his combined catch tank washer res/vr.
Luvly bit of kit but fairly serious wonga !
Just need to convince myself to put it on the must have list.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Install a catch tank and then route the line breather line from the catch tank right to the back of the car otherwise its going to stink the cabin out.

Thats the way I had mine, at first it just went under the front wheels and the fumes came into the cabin, then the pipes were sent to the rear and the smells gone.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Install a catch tank and then route the line breather line from the catch tank right to the back of the car otherwise its going to stink the cabin out.

Thats the way I had mine, at first it just went under the front wheels and the fumes came into the cabin, then the pipes were sent to the rear and the smells gone.
+1:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

never thought of that mate, did similar with removing my carbon canisters

·
Registered
1,206 Posts

yes it will just as mine is doing now it smells when i open the windows strangely enough.... but the heater fan does not suck the smell inside the cabin mmmm....

my tank fills up with condensation from the engine every 2000 miles or so.. so deffo worth having without a doubt

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Doesn't the OE system pipe it in well after the MAFs?

·
Registered
372 Posts
i think the standard recirculating dumpvalves blow back into the airbox? when you lift of the throttle. when this happens maybe some of the oily crap could get on the mafs

·
Registered
892 Posts
i got a couple of pictures of the nismo catch can set up from the R34 N1 Super Taikyu car ...

they ran a branch from the cam covers to a small catch tank on the hot side that drained into a modified turbo oil drain line
then from that catch tank can to another catch tank on the other side of the engine bay which had a vent pipe going to the rear of the car

·
Registered
579 Posts
I would recommand one highly. my first gtr had a Top secret catch can in it and every 6 months there is loads of crap in it. couldnt believe it until I saw it.
then my second GTR is the same when in the Dyno you can see water vaiper coming out the catch tank breather.
so when I bought my current GTR I have to put a catch can in it and while I was doing that I took all the induction pipes off and my god there is loads of oil on the base of the turbo. so I clean it all and reroute some pipes and added a few breathers and a catch can. :D
Unless you take your induction pipes off you wont know how much crap is sitting in the inlet of the turbo waiting to be suck in when boosting. so I will defo recommend it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts