GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my oil changed today. Fresh 0W 40 Fully Synth oil. Now the question is after this when checking the dipstick should the oil be nice and clean or can it get dirty that quick as it goes through the engine?

Checked literally 5 minutes after its been changed and the car was running for the full 5 mins.

I got someone to do it, and its buggin me as the oil looked pretty much the same colour (black!) as before but was topped up.

Am i just being a paranoid tw*t??

ps i also got him to do my gearbox oil, anyway i can check that too??

·
Registered
758 Posts
If you have an oil cooler fitted you won't manage to drain all the oil so the residue of old oil will contaminate (blacken) the new stuff straight away.

I think :D

Vincenzo

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Yea, this usually happens, you cant completely empty the galleries where the oil sits, Funny you should mention as some ppl today from Forte have been to my place and have offered a free demo of thier products which claim to eliminate this and do a few other things, free demo on my skyline :)

The thing I do if a car is really bad is run a flush, Change oil for fresh, run for 10 mins, change oil and filter (first oil change doesnt have to be expensive oil, just a cheap semi will do). This normally gets them cleaner, but the oil still dirties after a time.

Ill let you know how the Forte stuff goes on.

The gearbox oil was most likely fairly clean anyways, it often is unless its been in there a lot of years or you have very bad wear somewhere.

Mark.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
If its got a cooler the only real way is to pop the pipes off and clean it, Rather a lot of work for an oil change.

Mark.

P.S. Its even worse with Diesels (GAH!)

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
If the car has had flush in it, its very important to change the filter, Besides, filters are so cheap theres no point doing the oil without the filter really.

Mark.

P.S. Just got Genuine filter and sump washer for just over a Fiver today.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My oil change was the same black oil after a couple of mins i have a catch tank on mine do you have to empty this at all? if so how sorry for the hijack

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Faz Choudhury said:
I got my oil changed today. Fresh 0W 40 Fully Synth oil.

Errr am I wrong, but isn't that the wrong grade of oil :confused:

Please check the threads and ask the oilman

I dont think I'm wrong, but I'd hate to see your engine go pop!

Most common is 15/50 I use 10/50 both synthetics

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
whoflungdung said:
Errr am I wrong, but isn't that the wrong grade of oil :confused:

Please check the threads and ask the oilman

I dont think I'm wrong, but I'd hate to see your engine go pop!

Most common is 15/50 I use 10/50 both synthetics
oilman told me to get either 0w40 or 5w40

my car is 79k miles old and driven daily with no trackday action

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yeah mine's the same, the oil is pretty black right after an oil and filter change. Just seems the nature of the car, oil gets black quick.

·
Registered
598 Posts
oilman told me to get either 0w40 or 5w40
Hi Faz

i know you don't have the car anymore but were you able to assess the 0w40 oil, did it affect the oil pressure and oil temperature compared to what you had before? and your subjective views.

thanks

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Faz

i know you don't have the car anymore but were you able to assess the 0w40 oil, did it affect the oil pressure and oil temperature compared to what you had before? and your subjective views.

thanks
I found that the oil pressure dropped a little when warmed up and in traffic. Other than that exactly the same when started up from cold and on a good 'thrash.'

1 - 20 of 23 Posts