GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to the forum and ownerhsip of a Skyline.

Was just wondering what the recommended interval for the oil change is on a '98 R33 Skyline GTR V-Spec.

Also what make and viscoity oil do you guys use out there??

Finally the car I've bought has had some mods done to it. They consist of being a Nissan 350BHP upgarde from Japan, NISMO exhaust, de-catted, K&N induction kits, HKS hard metal pipes (Calledthe Smooth kit I think).

Not sure about the manifold.

What sort of BHP do you think its running at.

Please help as I need a rough idea of the BHP as everyone keeps on asking me what it is!!!

And I want to maintain my car in the best possible way.

Thanking you in advance

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well only got it this tuesday and been in the garage since then as it had no road tax. Will be taking it out saturday. So no speedo fiures yet...

As for oil, I asked Middlehurst Motorsport today and they recommend oil change at 6000miles and they use Texaco Havoline 5W40.

What do you think of Mobil 1??? Any good or too thin??

Is Castrol RS really good as quite a few people are using that.

And is the o/cooler std on the R33???

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Oil cooler is standard on UK cars but not jap.

Look under your bonnet to see if it's there... It's mounted just behind the GTR badge on the front grille. It's about 12 inches high and 3 wide, and mounted vertically (ie, portrait style not landscape). Normally the host fittings have nice red and blue anodised aluminium nuts.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Really it all depends on usage
I don't drive mine every day and change the oil & filter around 1500 miles.
Yes it does have a cooler.
At the end of the day oil is the lifeblood of the engine.
An engine costs a lot more than £70 for an oil/filter change.
Look after it and it will look after you.
Remember that nissan state 6000m but in standard trim.
Personnally I use 76 which is an american oil.
Hope this helps
Best regards Alan

·
Registered
520 Posts
The adviced offered by Alan is worth taking note of. I change my oil and filter every 2000 miles and I use Texaco Havoline 5W40 oil. Also (as I found out), the oil filters are the same as a Nissan Almera and cost <£5, so don't be conned into paying a ridiculous amount for a 'Skyline Oil Filter'.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Valvoline 5w50 (£20 for 4 litres)

Thin (low friction) and bloody tough.

The majority of the MKIV Supra owners swear by it.

0wxx is very thin so can seep past the seals. 5w is about the minimum..

But the Mobil is very good.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah ordered five oil filters from Nissan dealer and got them delivered today.

So would any of you guys recommend using Mobil 1 but 0W 40 viscosity???

Also how does a 3000 mile oil change sound with around 350-380BHP???

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Mobil - no no no no no

DONT PUT MOBIL IN YOUR CAR

Its no good for Skylines.

I used various types of oil in my cars over the past 3/4 years, Mobil was one of the factors in blowing up my R33 GTR 2.5 years ago and since then I ran HALFORDS 5-40 fully synthetic, YES HALFORDS!, it come in a silver can and is very good. Up until recently I always ran Halfords but now run MOTUL. It gives better pressure and cooler temps as well as better protection and is the nuts. Change the oil filter as much as you change you pants if you can, otherwise change every 2000 miles or every 3 months as its the cheapest warranty you can buy so why skimp?.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Agreed DD

r33 V-spec

DON'T USE MOBIL 1 .It is too thin . I made the mistake of putting in it my R33 and saw the oil pressure drop . I was then told by afew Sky owners that it is too thin and hence came straight out again .

I normally change my oil evry 900-1000 miles but I do run little more power than standard ! ;)

I have tried a couple of others ,but now only use Motul which is fully synthetic and is Esther based which is supposed to be the best..Motul did increase my oil pressure and the engine run smoother .Apparently it is also used by some of the race teams in Japan !

I normally get it from Gary at Gt-Art .

Some of us also put a friction reducing product called Cerrocote (?) which seemed to make the engine run smoother .Highly recommended ! ;) It come in a tin which you just pour in the engine .That's it ,you don't have to change the oil afterwards . Get some !

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What viscosity is the Motul stuff and is it available from Halfords???

So i guess the minimum is 5W40.

What do you guys think about Shell Helix Ultra or Texaco Havoline???

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So when do you think I should change my oil considering the car is going to be used everyday with around 350-380BHP???

And I guess the minimum is 5W40?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Motul

I've got some in me garage .I'll try and check for you tommorow if I don't forget for the viscocity !:) Better still do a search for 'Motul' or 'Liquid gold' for additional info !

It looks like most people change their oil every 3k miles which I personally believe is the minimum interval ,especially with town driving with all the starting and stopping . Just keep an eye on the colour/texture of your oil V-Spec .

It's quite easy to change the oil as a DIY job. The more often ya do it ,the better !:D ;)

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
I've used Mobil 1 Motorsport oil 15W 50 for the past 2 1/2 years without any problems. I change it at least every 1k miles or before EVERY track day.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well done the service today using Esso Ultron 5W40.

Is there any other easier way of opening the filter???

Also I was thinking of the Mobil1 M/sport as thats what I was using on my last S13 200SX.

It's supposed to be really good. Can anyone further to peter e's opinion???

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Could the people saying not to use Mobil 1 please clarify the viscosity. Do you mean do not use Mobil 1 0W/40, as this could be said of any 0W/?? oil as they are all too thin for turbo engines.

I'm using Mobil 1 Motorpsort 15W50 like PeterE and can't understand why this should be a problem.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah that means Motul stuff is the same as Mobil 1 M/sport.

I think Mobil 1 m/sport is fine. It's not thin.

I think its Mobil 1 0W40 thats bad.

I think I'll start using Mobil 1 M/sport from next service

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Mobil

Yes Mobile 1 Motorsport is fine .It's the 'regular' Mobil 1 (0-40) which is too thin .:)

Just try a couple of oils and see for yourselves if any improvements are made ! ;)

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What improvements should I note???

Also what should the oil temp. be???

Mines runs at around 90-100 degress C.

I've heard it should be no more than 120. Is that right and are my values ok???

I prefer using Mobil 1 as its a quality oil. Will start using that from now on.

Also how do you guys undo the filter??? Bit of a b!itch

1 - 20 of 28 Posts