GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
firstly, yes i have searched through old threads and couldn't find any relevant info on fitting the sandwhich plate and removing the old exchanger itself.

I'm just about to purchase an oil cooler kit, im alittle worried about removing the old standard oil cooler/exchanger.

is there any pipes that need to be by-passed, or can you just simply remove all the original parts and fit the sandwhich plate in place?

as you all know there is bugger all space under the plenum and even changing the oil filter is a pain at the best of times!

lastly, i was looking at buying the driftworks kit, but not the relocator one. im having 2nd thoughts now as i'll hate myself next time it comes to changing the oil filter again! anyone know of a well priced kit, the driftworks relocator is abit over my budget.

and hints or tips would be grateful

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
really? if thats the case the bolt that goes through the sandwhich plate must be long?

im trawling through kits at the moment, they aren't cheap :(

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,199 Posts
really? if thats the case the bolt that goes through the sandwhich plate must be long?

im trawling through kits at the moment, they aren't cheap :(
Usually you'd put a remote filter head in place then take the sandwich plate off that. Kits don't have to be expensive you can buy the take-off plates and remote filter heads off Mocal resellers and assuming that you don't want braided hoses you can buy rubber hose and cut it to length. I would suggest picking up a thermostatic sandwich plate to 'feed' the oil-cooler. Not much more expensive than a normal sandwich plate.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmmm, i would order all the parts seperately. I just know i'll c0ck it up and order the wrong sizes etc.

i came across another thread with certain measurements and sizes, it just confused me!

i may just be safer with the easier option of the drift works non relocator oil cooler kit, but i just got off the phone with them and they have warned me it's a bitch of a job of a job to do and they have had kits sent back as they were so difficult to fit!

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,199 Posts
I'd certainly go with a remote filter head. The filter is a bugger to get to at the best of times.

If you're uncertain on the kit someone like Demon Tweeks could probably sort you out (they are a bit more expensive but easy to deal with). You need a 3/4UNF fitting for the take off plate, remote filter head and sandwich plate. You can choose your own fitting sizes (I used 1/2BSP). You need two straight ones for the take off plate, two straight for the remote filter head (could be 90 degree if you want to put it upside down so the filter doesn't spill over when you take it off), two straight for the sandwich plate and two 90 degrees for the oil cooler. Then say 2-3 metres of tubing/hose. Obviously the length of tube/hose depends where you're going to mount it. If you can be bothered buy the tube/hose later after you've mocked up the fitting to get the exact mount.

You'll also need a hose clip (jubilee or whatever) for each fitting (i.e. 8 in total) and of course an oil cooler!

If still you're unsure I'd nip down to your local motorfacteur, show them what you want and they'll put it together for you.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
excellent cris,

still confusing, but i will call think auto and put my order in. Do a dry mock up off the car and go from there.

i'd love to do it in braided, i just got a feeling it'll double the price!

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Clarky,

I intend to get an oil cooler and am confused like you!!

I'm lucky in that there is already a relocation kit fitted, so just need the thermostatic sandwich plate, some hoses, fittings and the cooler - may buy the Driftworks kit, as the consensus is that 10mm hose & fittings are OK.

How big a cooler you getting, as I think the 19 row cooler in the Driftworks kit may be overkill and I could get a smaller one which would be easier to fit?

Cheers,

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,199 Posts
OK chaps this might help:

take off plates

You want the Type H top take off plate (not side) with 3/4 UNF. This screws into where the oil filter usually goes. You then need a pair of fittings to screw into the take off plate - push on color - the end which isn't screwed into the take off plate has (appropriately sized) oil hoses (2 of) pushed onto it held in plate with a jubilee clip (or similar).

The other end of the hoses has one of these - remote filter in colour - with a pair of fittings (same as the take off plate) screwed in. The side of the remote filter head not shown is where the filter would usually attach. Either directly or using a bracket you attach the remote filter head to something in the enginebay (mine sits behind where the battery usually is in an R32).

You now have a oil remote filter.

For the oil cooler you need the following:

Buy the bottom right thermostatic sandwich plate - http://www.thinkauto.com/oilstatcolour.htm - you want the 3/4 UNF again. The Sandwich plate sits between the remote filter head and the oil filter. When the oil temp get above say 80 degrees it send oil off to an oil cooler before it get to the filter. Anway once again you'll need two screw in fittings for the sandwich plate. More oil hoses etc. The other end of these hoses is the oil cooler - http://www.thinkauto.com/coolco1.htm - take you pick size wise. You will need two of the screw in fittings again.

If you have the time and bother I'd get the plates and oil cooler first work out where you're going to mount everything and then buy the fittings (as you can see in the pic they come on different angels) and oil hose you need.

One note of caution - in the ideal world you should get the smallest oil cooler which meets your needs. All the extra pipework and whatnot will cause your oil pressure to drop/the oil pump to work harder. A huge oil cooler will obvious be worse for this than a small one. Of course the beauty of the thermostatic take off plate is that the oil cooler only come into play (and thus pressure drop etc) above a certain temperature.

Perhaps someone else has some useful info above sizing coolers?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Thanks Cris :)
I'm about to buy a relocation filter ....... just wondering what length to get for the hoses.

One question remains to me : does the position of the relocated oil filter matters ?
Does it have to be in the standard position or can it be placed in any position (head bottom or whatever) ?

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,199 Posts
Thanks Cris :)
I'm about to buy a relocation filter ....... just wondering what length to get for the hoses.

One question remains to me : does the position of the relocated oil filtered matters ?
Does it have to be in the standard position or can it be placed in any position (head bottom or whatever) ?
You can align it how you like really. Ideally I'd put the filter in pointing down so you don't pee oil everywhere when you change it. Mind you mine points upwards due to space constraints...

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
one more thing cris, will the take off plate at the block go directly on the water/oil cooler or straight to the block and remove the original cooler?

thanks for all your help by the way.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,199 Posts
one more thing cris, will the take off plate at the block go directly on the water/oil cooler or straight to the block and remove the original cooler?

thanks for all your help by the way.
A straight take off plate should go on OK. In the trade parts section is a picture of the Trust/Greddy kit for reference or the link in my post (Type H, top take off).

I bought a Trust kit for mine but ended up chucking the hoses as they were too short. At that point I realised that I should have just bought the lot locally and saved a load of messing about. Of course the Trust kit was a very good price and I was in your situation of not knowing what I wanted...

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so i remove the standard water/oil cooler? is there any plumbing that needs blocking off?

sorry for all the questions, i just dont want my car to be stuck off the road when i come across a problem

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,199 Posts
so i remove the standard water/oil cooler? is there any plumbing that needs blocking off?

sorry for all the questions, i just dont want my car to be stuck off the road when i come across a problem
No with the straight take off plate you just put that where the oil filter normally sits. No need to remove anything else.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I Had the same problem, it seemed a bit daunting ordering the parts and fitting them meself. But I just rang RB motorsports told um what I wanted and they gave me the whole kit made of all seperate reputable parts, mocal rad, aeroquip fittings, mocal sandwich plate, and hose. To a handyman this made the job simple.

·
Registered
451 Posts
One thing i read in the catalog think auto :
Flows listed are for fil ters as il lus trated. (re mem ber oil
always flows into the out side of the fil ter and exits up the middle). Filter heads can be mounted in any attitude, but we suggest when
choosing an oil filter that is to be fitted in other than an up right, filter
be low, position, it should have an anti-drain valve. No provision is
made in the head for filter relief valves, these are available in the filter
if regular changing cannot be relied upon and/or if the engine is
likely to be revved from cold.. We are always pleased to recommend
a filter for any application
So the oil filter has to be in a upright otherwise you need an anti-drain valve.
Filter should be like this :
-----------
| |
| |
\_/

am I correct ?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Very interesting and well written mate (I did something similar for the front bumper in french here: R34 GTR front bumper removal in french).
Having your article at that time would have been very helpful to me.

I like your front bumper :)
I see you used a sandwich plate so the oil filter remains in genuine position.
With a relocation kit the oil filter will be in a different position. I don't plan to add an oil cooler for now but only a relocation kit. Thus my wonders about the oil filter attitude.

Have a look at this thread if you haven't already - it might be useful...

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/102263-oil-cooler-fitment-description-pics.html

Dave

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,199 Posts
One thing i read in the catalog think auto :

So the oil filter has to be in a upright otherwise you need an anti-drain valve.
Filter should be like this :
-----------
| |
| |
\_/

am I correct ?
I did consider that myself. One though was that the standard filter is side-on to the engine. Almost as much oil will drain out with it sideways as it being upwards (if you get what I mean).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts