GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of the kits are -10 (presume this is 10mm), but some tuners say you should use -12.

Anyone know if -10 is sufficient?

Cheers,

·
Registered
213 Posts
In an attempt to keep GTR-Glenn from jumping on me for being Mr.Obvious, I will make this short and basically say you (OP) have already answered your own concern above.
10AN is good...hence all of the kits available, use 12AN for even better flow.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hoses are sized in sixteenth's of an inch.
-10 is 5/8" and -12 is 3/4".

-10 is cool for all but the most radical setups.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers guys, got a 5/8 BSP fitting Mocal cooler with thermosatic sandwich plate.

Now need to position and work out line length before order premade ones.

·
Registered
672 Posts
what type of mocal oil cooler did you buy? the pressed plate type or the flat tube & fins one?? witch is the best ?? and does this brand is reliable and perform like the hks and greddy one? cause they look to cost a lot less and it will be a good thing if they perform and be reliable like the big name brand...

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Think it's a tube & fin, 13 row.

Got it from Think Automotive in Isleworth - speak to Matthew Potter who is very knowledgeable.

I believe Mocal have a very good name in motorsport.

It looks similar to a Greddy one, but a lot cheaper.

Whilst HKS, Trust etc are good, they are over priced.

Remember, items like Jun pistons are made by Cosworth, then sold at 10x the price Cosworth would have charged.

Cheers,

·
Registered
233 Posts
This is true i have a thermostatic greddy relocation kit as i think those bits are better quality than mocal (look a lot better to:D) but the cooler itself is a mocal 19 row jobby as they seem just as good as the likes of hks ect.

My car is running around 550 bhp at the fly and this cooler keeps things nice an cool although when i do my next power upgrade i will prob go to a bigger one just to be safe :thumbsup:

I think its important to note aswell that although line size is important, you should look more at the cooler itself to make sure it is big enough to sufficiently cool the oil passing through it in conjunction with the amount of heat your car creats. If you have big diameter lines but a small oil cooler then the oil will flow through to fast and not reduce the temp of the returning oil enough and all that will happen is that the oil will still get overheated but it will just take a little bit longer( Im sure if im wrong then someone will tell me lol)

·
Registered
672 Posts
anyone know which is the best one of mocal oil cooler? the tube and fins one or the pressed plate hd one? and how much row or size should i have for a rb30 t51r 800-1000hp for street and sometime drag lapping? thanks!

·
Registered
525 Posts
The Setrab oil cooler are the better cooler, i had a few of the MOCAL Pressed Plate Oil cooler and they gave me loads of problems they keep leaking.

the mocal Remote filter head and Take off plate are a lot bulky then the big brand, with skyline you don’t have much space in your engine bay so space counts i would go for the big brands if i had to fit one again.

I ordered the fittings and hoses and made the hoses up myself but this stuff again wasn’t so good so i ended up having a local shop make me up some proper braided hoses. (All the self making pipes and fitting were a waste of money as i didn’t use them and the costs added up a lot)

good luck with it

·
Registered
672 Posts
good info! i've seen the setrab website and the com 66 with E fins looks very nice and strong. are they more expensive than the big name brand? and why your line that you've making yourself aren't good? they leaking?? what the difficulty in making your line yourself??

thanks!

·
Registered
525 Posts
good info! i've seen the setrab website and the com 66 with E fins looks very nice and strong. are they more expensive than the big name brand? and why your line that you've making yourself aren't good? they leaking?? what the difficulty in making your line yourself??

thanks!
I can’t remember the price of the cooler check with the suppliers, with the hoses when making them you have to dip the hose tip wear the fitting is going on in hot water or heat up with a heat gun they often crack, rip or you can’t get the whole fitting the sit all the way down the hose and you end up damaging your hands while trying, if they are pre made they have a crimping tool which really helps secure the pipe on the fitting and you have no messing about or leaking issues, i don’t mind messing about to save a bob or two but i ended up just have some proper braided hoses made up and the self making hose and fittings where a waste of my money.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
The only thing I would have said, apart from JD74 proving once again his is a complete twat,
would have been this

Hoses are sized in sixteenth's of an inch.
-10 is 5/8" and -12 is 3/4".
Which has already been said...
So GFY JD74

Have you got your head around my avatar yet? do you understand theses are some of the cars I CURRENTLY own >???
I actually ran out of characters when i was typing it ...
You just keep to your bone stock auto pinto ...

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Most of the kits are -10 (presume this is 10mm), but some tuners say you should use -12.

Anyone know if -10 is sufficient?

Cheers,
Nissan and nismo use dash 12!
There is some measurement data on the web about system pressure drop with dash 10.
I've only ever used dash 12.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Searched and searched but couldn't find anything definitive in the net.

Bought a cooler with 5/8 fitting, but could change it if need be as still in the box.

Cheers,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts