GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I need your light guys !

I'd like to fit an oil cooler with a relocation filter on a R34 GTR.
I'm looking for fair quality. Not the best quality (offered by Greedy) but something fair.

I found this :
- NISSAN SKYLINE R34 GTT GTR OIL COOLER RELOCATION KIT on eBay (end time 06-Oct-09 12:26:17 BST)
- NISSAN R32 R33 R34 SKYLINE S14 OIL COOLER KIT NEW on eBay (end time 18-Sep-09 21:00:00 BST)

Do you think it suitable ? has anyone try something similar ?
Also what are your recommandations ? 19 rows ? more ? less ?
The car won't do track days. May be some laps in a year but anything harsh.

I just want to make a smart choice ...

·
Registered
525 Posts
I fitted my oil cooler and relocation kit and it was a pain in the ass as there isn’t much space, my advice would be use braided hoses only don’t bother making up your own hoses as they always leak. also use a decent branded cooler as cheap coolers leak i used

Setrab Proline STD coolers (MOCAL cooler break when tightened)
Think Automotive Ltd On line shop

I had the braided hoses made from a local firm

MOCAL remote filter head and sandwich plate (bulky but do the job)

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Hi,

I need your light guys !

I'd like to fit an oil cooler with a relocation filter on a R34 GTR.
I'm looking for fair quality. Not the best quality (offered by Greedy) but something fair.

I found this :
- NISSAN SKYLINE R34 GTT GTR OIL COOLER RELOCATION KIT on eBay (end time 06-Oct-09 12:26:17 BST)
- NISSAN R32 R33 R34 SKYLINE S14 OIL COOLER KIT NEW on eBay (end time 18-Sep-09 21:00:00 BST)

Do you think it suitable ? has anyone try something similar ?
Also what are your recommandations ? 19 rows ? more ? less ?
The car won't do track days. May be some laps in a year but anything harsh.

I just want to make a smart choice ...

both a fair price, but there's one thing that worries me. It doesn't state wether either of them have a thermostatic sandwhich plate???

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thermostatic sandwhich plate : a one with a temp sensor to monitor the oil temp ?
The oil temp car be monitored on the MFD so I guess having a thermostatic sandwhich plate is useless, isn't it ?
Or am I completely wrong ?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
oil needs to warm up first before it's cooled, i.e there's no point oil going to the cooler once its freezing to be cooled even more. Engines's have optimum running temps, hence why a car is "warmed up"

a thermostat will stop oil going to the cooler until its hot enough to be cooled, it then opens and lets the cooler do its job.

hope this makes sense

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nicely explained thanks mate.
But that also means one must set up the thermostat properly to decide what temp to stop the oil going into the cooler.

I plan to buy an oil cooler by the end of the year I will update the post.

oil needs to warm up first before it's cooled, i.e there's no point oil going to the cooler once its freezing to be cooled even more. Engines's have optimum running temps, hence why a car is "warmed up"

a thermostat will stop oil going to the cooler until its hot enough to be cooled, it then opens and lets the cooler do its job.

im looking for a cooler and relocator at the moment, considering just going for a expensive/tested branded one, let me know what you find.
hope this makes sense

·
Registered
85 Posts
Carefull with that cheap stuff, just bought one and find out that the original oil filter doesn´t match, have told the situation to the seller and he just said to me:- ""make an oil filter upgrade"", thanks now I have a new filter on my hands with no use, and I need to look for another that will fit there.
There are oil Thermostats that we can buy extra and aplly to that kit of Ebay, it´s a must an oil thermostat for giving a good life to your engine, and don´t forget the extra oil to fill the cooler too

·
Official GTR.co.uk Photographer
2,671 Posts
Carefull with that cheap stuff, just bought one and find out that the original oil filter doesn´t match, have told the situation to the seller and he just said to me:- ""make an oil filter upgrade"", thanks now I have a new filter on my hands with no use, and I need to look for another that will fit there.
There are oil Thermostats that we can buy extra and aplly to that kit of Ebay, it´s a must an oil thermostat for giving a good life to your engine, and don´t forget the extra oil to fill the cooler too
found that with my new kit too but change of filter is no big issue lol , just a mitsubishi 3000gt filter fits the kit i got instead of the nissan one

·
Registered
296 Posts
A question for you guys who have installed a cooler/oil filter relocation kit etc, and are running a stock oil pump - did you notice any pressure drop after fitting the cooler?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I´ve installed the kit with relocation of the filter, but I have only installed the relocation kit for the filter, cuz I need to wait for a thermostat for the oil cooler, the oil pressure is 100% the same.
I just want to say that was a hard thing to do, and the guys that are thinking install it be prepare for a big fight with the space that our engine give to do the work, at least in the RB26DETT, and to scratch your hands to the bone.
I dont have allready find the correct place for the oil cooler, cuz my cooler is a big one with 19 raws, can anyone give an idea for the place, I´m thinking between the AC cooler and the water cooler.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Be sure whatever kit you buy has adequately sized unions, pipes and internal flow. I wouldn't use anything less then -12 hoses and fittings on the plate or the cooler itself. Some Skyline kits have flow potential more suited to a 1300 cc
N/A engine than a twin turbo 2.6

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.