GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to fit an oil cooler to my R33 V-Spec.

Will most probably go down the Mocal route, so was wondering what can fit behind the grille or in front of the rad, i.e. how many row and size oil cooler.

If anyone has done the Mocal oil cooler, and help from you guys would be great.

Or of any other makes. Also is it advisable to get a thermostatic sandwich plate?? Do Mocal do one?? Are they all set at one value??

And I was thinking of using the aeroquip hoses?? Any further advances??? And is it advisable to go for the remote filter fitting??

Thanking you in advane

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
OIL COOLER

I WOULDNT PUT THE OIL COOLER BEHIND THE FRONT GRILL, WHY PUT ANOTHER RADIATOR IN FRONT OF THE ENGINE BAY WHICH WILL GET UPTO 80+ DEGREES AND RIGHT NEXT TO THE INTERCOOLER??

NO NO, GET ONE THAT GOES TO THE SIDE OF THE CAR LIKE THE HKS OR NISMO ONES, YOU COULD MAKE UP A MOCAL ONE CHEAPER BUT WHATS THE POINT? SPEND A FEW MORE QUID ON A PROVEN PRODUCT THAT WILL DISSIPATE THE HEAT QUICKER:)

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR:)

EITHER THAT OR DO THE MOCAL JOBBIE BUT PUT IT NOWHERE NEAR THE INTERCOOLER.:)

·
Registered
994 Posts
If your handy with the spanners then go for it.It`s quite an awkward job and maybe best done at a Garage.
You can buy a kit from Greddy,HKS and others or save a few bob and go the Mocal & Aeroquip route.Mocal do everything including beautiful oil catch tanks in red,blue,gold and of course polished as well.

Henry.:)

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's just that most cars I have seen, the oil cooler is placed there.

Also don't you need a vent on the side of the bumper to get rid of the dissipated heat like the UK models if you have it on the side??

And wheres the cheapest place to buy HKS or NISMO items?? Any rough prices???

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
OIL COOLER

WHY PERSONS PLACE THEM IS UNKNOWN, HOW THAT COULD POSSIBLY BE BETTER IS CONFUSING.

OBVIOUSLY A VENT ON THE SIDE OF THE BUMPER IS BETTER THAN NOT HAVING ONE WHEN THE OIL COOLER IS PLACED INSIDE THE WING BUT YOU CUT THE INNER PLASTIC ARCH TO GET RID OF THE HOT AIR BLOWN THROUGH THE COOLER:)

WHERE TO GET ONE FROM, WELL I HAVE TO STOP HERE;) BUT CALL HKS ON 01480 861997 AND ASK FOR A DEALER NEAR YOU OR CALL TIM AT SVS IN SURREY - 01483 285657 FOR A GREDDY OR NISMO ONE:)

ANDY:)

·
Registered
994 Posts
Well said Dirk

You`ve got the aircon,the radiator and the intercooler,put the oil cooler else where.

Looking at the front of your car,the HKS kit goes in the right hand side and the Trust/GReddy/Grex item in the left.

There is more room to fit it on the right side.I use the HKS oil cooler,its perfect.

Henry.:)

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Well never being one to disagree

BUT I have seen quite a few Jap cars with the Oil Cooler behind/above the I/C.

This may well be because the Oil Cooler gets direct air from the front grill area completely across its face, allowing the heat to be drawn straight out the back, rather than having the air passing across the front of the Oil Cooler in the bumper because it is positioned at an angle.

Not my opinion of course just what I've heard :) .

Would be interesting to hear of any temp ranges found after using both systems.

glen

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
TEMPS

WELL THE LOCATION UNDER THE BONNET MAKES NO SENSE AT ALL TO ME SO I HAVE MINE WHERE HKS INTENDED INSIDE THE NEARSIDE ARCH. AT BRANDS HATCH I HIT 95 DEGREES, NEVER ONCE TOUCHED 100 ( WHERE MNY MFD REDLINE IS SET ) AND FOLLOW MY MFD READING TEMPS VERY CAREFULLY 24/7. AT 70MPH ON THE MOTORWAY AT CONSTANT CRUISE I HAVE 75 DEGS AND AT 100MPH ( ON A GERMAN AUTOBAHN;) ) AT CONSTANT SPEED I HAVE A READING OF 80 DEGS.

DONT KNOW HOW THIS COMPARES TO HAVING THE O/C IN THE ENGINE BAY WHERE THE OIL TEMP IS CONCERNED? YOU HAD IT UNDER THE BONNET DIDNT YOU GLEN? WHAT WERE YOUR TEMPS? DO YOU REMEMBER?

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Oil Temps

All I know is I had my MFD Oil Temp set low by Abbeys, just to be on the safe side, and never had a warning come up. Thats goes for being stuck in Motorway Jams for ages, high speed cruising abroad (150's), top speed runs etc., etc.,

I basically remember figures when I've been on motorways in the 80's but as my warning was also set lowish as I said I've never seen it flashing.

Mind you never having used a side mounted Oil Cooler my comments are based on observations only :) . Plus Abbeys have been doing Skylines for over 10 years so my faith was with them on this ;) .

If all the Oil Cooler manufacturers placed their parts in the same place it would be a boring world wouldn't it :D .

glen

ps. anyways you sell HKS parts so stop being biased :p

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
AS I SAID

I DONT AND HAVE NOT AND WILL NOT HAVE AN O/C IN FRONT OF THE ENGINE AND RADIATOR AND ON TOP OF THE I/C COS IT DONT MAKE ANY SENSE:( AND AQS YOU SAID, ITS MY EXPERIENCE OF HAVING IT WHERE IT IS. THE AIRFLOW ON THE FRONT OF THE CAR IS THE SAME AT THE FRONT GRILL IN THE CENTRE AS 12 INCHES TO THE SIDE AT THE FRONT. THE ONES I HAVE SEEN WHERE THEY ARE MOUNTED IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT HAVE NO AIR DUCTING AROUND THEM EITHER SO THE AIR WILL ALWAYS FIND THE EASIEST WAY WHICH WILL BE MOSTLY AROUND THE COOLER INSTEAD OF THROUGH IT WHERAS THE AFTERMARKET KITS ( CERTAINLY THE HKS ONE ) COME WITH FORCE AIR DUCTING TO LIMIT OR ELIMINATE THIS ISSUE.

AS I SAID, YOU CAN FIT ANY O/C NOT JUST HKS, EVEN THE MOCAL IN THE ARCH BUT DONT PUT SOMETHING THATS 80 DEGREES TEMP RIGHT NEXT TO THE ONE THING THAT YOU NEED TO BE THE COOLEST ON THE CAR - THE I/C:) AND ESPECIALLY ON THE OFFSIDE OF THE INTERCOOLER WHICH IS THE COOLEST SIDE AFTER THE AIR THAT HAS PASSED THROUGH IT AND IMENENTLY GETS USED IN THE INTAKE PLENUM.

ONE OTHER EFFECT IS THE ACTUAL WATER TEMP OF COURSE COS YOU ARE CHUCKING THE O/C IN FRONT OF THE RADIATOR

TO ME ITS COMMON SENSE AND MAKING USE OF A COLD VOID IN THE INNER ARCH WHICH IS UNUSED IN ANY EVENT.

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Cem...LOL:p

Have to agree with Dirk. Makes much more sense to me having the oil cooler on the side of the bumper with some air ducting. I've had my HKS oil cooler fitted there for almost a year and it has worked brilliantly!:)

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Ok Ok don't gang up on me

Note the word OBSERVATION :D .

DCD. Worked brilliantly over ? So you've used a front mounted Oil Cooler then ?

Dirk. If HKS fitted one in the glovebox you'd say it was the right place :D :p .

Lets be fair though travellling at any speeds the I/C isn't gonna be affected by the O/C. Oh plus I thought the water ran hotter than the Oil so I'd have thought the O/C would have been like a guard for the I/C ??

Just questions and thoughts :) .

glen

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Mixed feelings.

I've got the HKS kit fitted which, as soon as you open the box, you can see is a quality item. However, I still get high temps with it on track, less so now I've moved the indicators up into the headlight cluster and let more air through to it but I still saw 120+ at Brands.

Looking at it, whilst the air is separate from the other hot bits, the area of the intake is less than the area of the cooler plus it's mounted at an angle plus there's more restriction after it to let the air out than an engine bay mounted one so possibly less air will be going through it.

Personally, whilst I prefer the location of the HKS kit, I think it's swings and roundabouts, you just need one if you're going on track!

3,666 Posts
OIL COOLER LOCATION

ALL THE GTR TUNING GURU,S OUT THERE

oil cooler in left hand side of bumper , when the car is running on the road air pressure build,s up in wheel arch so it stops the air flowing through the cooler , also cooler is not square to the air flow so the air is actually slowed before it goes through the cooler, giving lower cooler efficency.

Andy,
we fit the cooler between the intercooler and radiator because off the above . Ronnies car used to run way over 130 deg cent when the cooler was in the wheel arch now we have moved it it runs 110/115 deg cent . thera re pro,s and con,s for both positions we just like this positionas I feel it works very well.

Trust oil cooler kits are available to fit in both positions am I right Tim?

start squabling.

mark

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Re: Ok Ok don't gang up on me

TOKYO said:
Note the word OBSERVATION :D .

Oh plus I thought the water ran hotter than the Oil so I'd have thought the O/C would have been like a guard for the I/C ??

glen
My water temps are indicated on the MFD as exactly the same as the oil temp when cruising, and I mean exactly the same, it fluctuates between 1 and 2 degrees and even under heavy load it its only out by 5ish degrees. However I do have water cooling mods and even just using the normal nissan temp gauge in the speedo pod it runs below the ' normal temp' line whereas before the mods it didnt, it ran on the line and sometimes just over. At Brands the water temp got to around 95ish on the track and maybe touched 98 from memory, again I have the warning set at 100 degrees and never went into the red zone all day.

I also think that yes if HKS said it was good in the glove box it would be worth a try:D They are HKS after all and their products are vigerously tested. I am sure if they thought it would be best putting it in front of the radiator then they would have as you imagine the money they could have saved on the aeroquip hosing alone as it would not need to be half as long as on the nearside wing and the actual cooler would be smaller as well. I should think that decisions like these would be a huge factor in such a mass produced article such as an oil cooler kit. But the parts are about about performance and the best results that they can give which is probably why they went to the trouble of producing the aluminium shrouds for the kits as well.:)

·
Registered
212 Posts
originally quoted by PeterE
less so now I've moved the indicators up into the headlight cluster
I am very interested in that mod Peter. Did you get it done at an Auto-Elec place or is there a kit available for it. Only ever seen one Gtr that was like that and it was done in Japan.

On the topic.
Any one using the ARC oil coolers. They replace the grill and fitted on a spot that would get the most airflow. Don't know if I'd wanna replace my grill with an O/C though.

·
Registered
8,967 Posts

Emre,

No kit, took the indicator plate out and replaced with some fine mesh, took headlight clusters out, paint the 18W indicator lamps amber as they fit in the same holders as the sidelights, fit where the sidelights were. The only thing I'm not happy or finished with are the sidelights. I've put bright LED's at the end of each sidelight shining into the sidelight area but they aren't bright enough. I didn't want to drill the clusters and end up with bits inside or making a hash of it. Need to do some more work or possibly put 3 or 4 LED's in which will be bright enough. It certainly allows alot more air to the oil cooler.

Peter.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Oil Cooling

PeterE. Don't forget you are a faster driver than Dirk though so I'd expect to see higher oil temps from you :) .

So Dirk your water temp 'actually runs higher' than your oil temp so the oil cooler front mounted would have no adverse effect on the engine bay temp. Glad you cleared that up :p .

You say without other knowledge that the HKS items are brilliant and without using anything else you can vouch for their effectiveness. I find this a bit funny as when I had me 34 with the Top Secret Bonnet you seemed to be questioning the abilities of Top Secret with regards to the effectiveness of the bonnet. How you can do this with them and not with HKS is a bit suprising ?? But like I said you are a sole seller of HKS products and MUST therefore push 'em. I can understand that, being a businessman myself, but you should maybe as a seller of products try all other products to be able to voice a 'professional' opinion. I too agree that HKS are one, if not the THE, market leader for Performance Parts.

DCD. I'm not saying one is better than the other but I am also not summising mine is better than anyone elses based on what I think. Like Mark says, I believe TRUST also offer a front Mount O/C kit.

See Ya.

glen

1 - 20 of 77 Posts