GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spend some time on the Sepang F1 Track in KL Malaysia in the GTR 34Vspec. The problem that I face is excessive oil temparatures (above 125 C and climbing before I back off) after 2-3 laps on the 5.5 km track. Already have an additional "Trust" Oil cooler fitted. Running Nismo GTR 10W-60 Racing Oil and with the additional oil cooler, the car now needs 6 litres of it.

Anyone have similar results? How are the summer months on the track for you European GTR Owners? Anyone have suggestions for more efficient Oils and Oil Coolers?

Greatly appreciate any help as it is very fustrating to be out there for a couple of laps before you have to wind down and return to the pits.

SingaporeR34

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
You should think about fitting a bigger oil-cooler, and also try to find out at what temperature the thermostat opens the circuit up. Is your oil cooler mounted in front grille or the in the side of the bumper?
You do live in a bloody hot part of the world so you have a bit of a disatvantage!:(

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thermo Opens at 76 C (supposedly build for this part of the world), the cooler is mounted left side of the bumper, but I have the Nismo front, with the relevant "holes" for the air to flow over the oil cooler. The garage over here built a shroud to make sure that the air is directed correctly as well.

If you know of any bigger oil coolers will appreciate your suggestions.

Singapore "Bloody Hot" R34:(

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Sounds like you are sorted with fittings and so on...
Not sure how much bigger you can go in the side of the bumper....Maybe fit a second one? One of those front grill mounted ARC ones?
Tough one this!! I would also advise you to ditch the Nismo oil and use Motul or Red Line. These oils are ester based so tent to be much better at keeping the oil "togeather" at the higher temps you are reaching.

Best of luck to you....

BTW...how is the Sepang circuit then:smokin:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oil too hot

Thanks. Will try to fit one of those Arc Front Mounted ones and go for the Motul Oil as well (another tread is very good on the benefits of this oil). Before the oil temp is sorted, reluctant to boost the power and torque any more - at the moment only bolt ons (Pipes from block to rear piece, Boost controller, Intercooler, ECU and crackshaft sensor changed to Nismo Programmed one- max boost 1.2 bar)

Next session at Sepang is on the 1st of June - excellent track, surface is smooth, does not chew up the tires and requires alot of commitment in the long sweeping corners with changes in gradient - the 34 is a excellent machines for the track, especially matched with the HKS Hypermax Pro suspension (20 clicks at the rear, 25 at the front - highly recommended) but a nightmare for those rear engined Porsches - a couple of them off every session.
Lots of guys here in Singapore are mad for the track - cops in Singapore very unforgiving - only place to blast is the track.

SingaporeR34

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
I think the ARC cooler for the 34 gets mounted on the front lip spoiler. I saw a demo car with this fitted once...I believe thay had to trim the middle lip to provide air to the cooler...not sure though.

Sepang sound like a hell of a circuit!

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
A lot of the circuit cars in Japan not only upgrade their Oil Cooler (15 row at least) but also get a sump extension and new pickup fitted to increase the oil available for circulation. You should definitely look into getting that done if circuit racing is your thing.

On another note, have you bothered upgrading the water cooling system (eg. radiator, thermo, etc.)? This would be another useful idea given the temps you are operating in and assuming you've upped the power output on your R. Just some food for thought.

Cya O!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oil Temp too hot

Thanks for the advice DCD and Hippo GTR.

Other than the oil cooler, the radiator is uprated as well. In the process of fitting a uprated Nismo oil pump and Nismo baffle plates within the oil sump.

Something that was additionally was recommended to me by Garage R over here as well (the 2 brothers running Garage R over here spend some time with Top Secret and HKS in Japan) is that the fuel should be cooled ala Top Secret Track setup. What tangible benefits would running the fuel through a heat exchanger do for my R34?

Thanks for any help and this is a great forum.

SingaporeR34

1 - 8 of 8 Posts