GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chaps,
Just doing an oil change and wanted to know what amount of oil is needed to get from the bottom hole to the top hole on the dipstick? Also just double checking its 5.5 litres with a filter change?

Thanks

Louie

·
Premium Member
5,888 Posts

1.Pull out oil level gauge and wipe it clean.

2.Insert oil level gauge and check the engine oil level is within the range (A) shown in the figure.

OR direct from the manual

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks buddy
Not sure what manual you have as I only have the owners manual which doesn't give those calculations. At present my oil level (before changing) is a *** paper above the L hole. If I now want to get this up to 10mm below the H mark hole how much oil is needed.......0.5 litres? Also with the filter change is it 5.5 litres of oil as a minimum? Then run till at operating temperature, turn off, leave for 5 mins and re check dipstick?

Cheers
Louie

·
Registered
626 Posts
changing your own oil?? be careful mate the servicing police on here will have a field day lol

I was slated for even considering it....

·
Registered
470 Posts
Just add 1/2 litre and see where it sits then if it needs a bit more then just add a bit at a time

·
Registered
888 Posts
Has anyone tried reading it from cold & if so, where should it sit?
Or is this a real no..no..?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just add 1/2 litre and see where it sits then if it needs a bit more then just add a bit at a time
Thanks bud. I was going to do anyway that if I didn't get a reply.

Cheers
Louie

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Has anyone tried reading it from cold & if so, where should it sit?
Or is this a real no..no..?
The manual states to get the car to running temp, turn off for 5 mins to allow the oil to drain in to the sump, then measure. My reading was almost identical when hot and cold!!!

·
Registered
888 Posts
The manual states to get the car to running temp, turn off for 5 mins to allow the oil to drain in to the sump, then measure. My reading was almost identical when hot and cold!!!
That's what I was wondering?
Maybe they just want to account for a but of thermal expansion to get an exact reading!

How accurate is the ECU check on oil level on start-up?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
changing your own oil?? be careful mate the servicing police on here will have a field day lol

I was slated for even considering it....
Thanks for the heads up buddy

Well if there are people on here that slate others for doing a simple thing like an oil & filter change then they are sad sad fcukers. :GrowUp::mad:

The GTR isn't a space ship and the engine, albeit a work of art is just that....an engine... and like any other has oil, a drain plug and a filter which is, if you have the tools and facility easy to change.

Took me less than an hour and as im changing the oil every 3k (the next will be official service and at Kaizer in 3k mikes) if I were buying the car and saw this in the service history documentation I would be happy that the owner has gone above and beyond the 6k oil & filter change and done it every 3k:bowdown1::bowdown1:

Nuff said

Cheers
Louie

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's what I was wondering?
Maybe they just want to account for a but of thermal expansion to get an exact reading!

How accurate is the ECU check on oil level on start-up?
Well maybe, however I took the reading when cold and it was right across the bottom O......got car to running temp....left for 5 mins then took again.....almost the exact same if a *** paper lower. Ive done 3k since last service and at no point have I needs to top up....each time ECU check states "Oil level OK":)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Actually surprisingly little oil is needed to move up a few mm on the dipstick. Don't know the exact amount but I suggest putting in a very small amount, wait then measure with stick.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Thanks for the heads up buddy

Well if there are people on here that slate others for doing a simple thing like an oil & filter change then they are sad sad fcukers. :GrowUp::mad:

The GTR isn't a space ship and the engine, albeit a work of art is just that....an engine... and like any other has oil, a drain plug and a filter which is, if you have the tools and facility easy to change.

Took me less than an hour and as im changing the oil every 3k (the next will be official service and at Kaizer in 3k mikes) if I were buying the car and saw this in the service history documentation I would be happy that the owner has gone above and beyond the 6k oil & filter change and done it every 3k:bowdown1::bowdown1:

Nuff said

Cheers
Louie
Exactly my point.

Cheers buddy..... we'll have to bang heads on here if we get stuck with something.

Are you using mobil 1.... if so costco do it 30 squid for 5 ltrs

·
Registered
470 Posts
at the end of the day it makes no difference if you check it from cold or leave it 5 minutes for oil to drain back to sump (same as any car) if anything your better off checking it from cold as all the oil would have drained back if standing for some time.

the only time you don't wanna check it is if you've just been on a run and stopped then check straight away as its bound to be low, all just common sense really!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Greetings,

Not sure if this is posted, just wanted to know what the best engine oil is to use for the GTR, having been told not to rely on the dashboard and if needing a top-up, need to have this on standby. Any recommendations, maybe get direct from dealer ?.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Greetings,

Not sure if this is posted, just wanted to know what the best engine oil is to use for the GTR, having been told not to rely on the dashboard and if needing a top-up, need to have this on standby. Any recommendations, maybe get direct from dealer ?.
Personally I use mobile 1

30 quid for 5 litres at costco.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Personally I use mobile 1

30 quid for 5 litres at costco.
+1 And just done a 3k oil & filter change as I am doing my own in between the 6k service schedule:)

Oh....... and I get my oil for free:chuckle::bowdown1::chuckle:

Cheers
Louie

1 - 20 of 23 Posts