GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
every time i change the oil filter when changing oil, i get oil everywhere!
i wish there was something i could do to make less mess when undoing the filter, anyone have any ideas? :puke:

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
Loosen the filter up just so that the oils begins to flow out. Wait till it stops and undo the filter. Ta-daa.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
as above - relocation kit is the best option - however I see so many installed with the filter pointing up or sideways - which is pointless as when you undo the filter, it still spills oil everywhere! you need to install it with the filter pointing down...

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
as above - relocation kit is the best option - however I see so many installed with the filter pointing up or sideways - which is pointless as when you undo the filter, it still spills oil everywhere! you need to install it with the filter pointing down...
exactily ...i don't understand people doing this either ...oil everywhere..
i mounted mine pointing down ...we must be clever mate ...:chuckle:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
^^ oh we are, no question! moreover - if the filter is pointing "down" - when at rest, the oil will stay in the filter - whereas if it's the other way up, there is potential for the oil to partially - or even fully - drain from the filter (one hopes your remote setup has a one-way valve tho!) - which means on startup there is a delay to getting full pressure, which is one of the times high wear and damage can occur.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,199 Posts
You are aware that the filter sits sideways as stock?

Personally I'd be more worried about the time taken to fill-up an oil cooler (without a thermostatic switch) than the filter.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I know it's a bit of a pain, but I remove the plastic undertray whenever I change the oil. That way the vast majority of the oil spilt goes on the floor!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Turn it over without starting

I suspect that the time intervals invovled in pressurising the system are so small as to mean little if any damage is caused when it is just fired up gently.

However skin and bones grow, engines dont so to ensure the oil is where it should be when I change the oil filter etc, I always turn the engine over a few times on the starter without letting her fire. If you havent got a thermostatic plate anywhere in system the pump is turning over and circulates the oil. When it fires up the oil light shouldnt even come on. I also put oil in the filter before fitting it where possible, as much as I can get in again depends on the angle of the filter.

Just my thoughts on this.

I guess if you do have a thermostatic plate some where, there will be a sudden drop in oil volume when it opens and fills the cooler and other plumbing. Cant be good and you definitely would need to check your oil levels again straight away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts