GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know that 9 times out of 10 if you get oil in the water system its a cracked head but if the head checks out ok whats the next most likely cause.engines stripped(r33 gtr)and head has been tested twice failing first time and is now with another engineering firm whos given it the all clear(hes going to recheck it) because of my concerns on the earlier failure.
looking at the engine block top surface ive noticed several cracks between the water jacket and the holes where the head bolts go down through.is the oil around the head bolts(going up from the block through the head) under pressure and if it is could this be making its way across these cracks and into the water system.:confused:
need to get this sorted soon been unable to drive my gtr for ten months now and im getting pretty desperate.
hope someone might be able to shed some light.
cheers simon.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
It is common to get a crack from one head bolt hole to the water jacket but it does not cause problems.I had this on my old engine and a slight leak through the block by the AC pump.I Have changed it now due to bottom end failure.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Is the head warmed up to operating temp before pressure testing??
Very often the crack comes when the head is warm...

Asim..

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
oil to water cooler on top of the oil filter housing

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Andy W said:
oil to water cooler on top of the oil filter housing

I second that.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
If it has an oil to water cooler check that first, Common thing on the renault and peugeot diesel engines....

Mark.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Agree
It could easly be the oil cooler and very common on Peugeot and Citroen diesel if not oil cooler,you have an internal crack in the block

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cheers guys
oil cooler ive cleaned out and had a look at seems quite new and i tested it using air compressor seemed ok
head has been tested warmed up or so im told?
head gasket was a steel one and looked ok when comparing it to my new tomei one
paul
is the oil not under pressure around the head bolts only i thought the oil came up through the restrictor in the block and then up through the head to feed the oil galleries which were linked to all the head bolt holes(ill have to another look at the head when it comes back
is it possible to test a head incorrectly and get a positive result,only i would of thought done incorrectly it would leak and show as failure:confused:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
update
the head has been rechecked and its failed makes me wonder if he done it at all first time round.
cheers all.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
reefyman said:
update
the head has been rechecked and its failed makes me wonder if he done it at all first time round.
cheers all.
It can be very hard to find a crack sometimes... it has to be warmed up properly before and under pressure testing..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts