GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was under the car today (rb26) when it was lifted up and noticed that the back end of the block at the right, near the exhaust manifold, had a layer of oil seeping between the block and cylinder head. Couple of things to note, oil is not milky and is good condition and water is not cloudy and contaminated.

On closer inspection, there was a small bolt that was very loose that I could tighten with my fingers. If you take a look at an rb26 gasket, the back right has a small screw hole that is offset; this was the screw. I've tightened it up and the oil no longer seems to be visible underneath the car, although there was hardly any to begin with.

1. Can anyone confirm what the bolt is for? It's a 10mm and is no more than 2 inches long. It did join the head to the block but was not one of the major studs that hold the cylinder head down.

2. Is the oil return near this and is this why there is oil seeping through if its not tight?

I will update this thread with any findings and a few pictures later when I'm on my computer but any expert advice would be fantastic.

I was only trying to find the source of the vacuum leak but I am glad I caught this.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn :-(

I wonder where the oil is seeping from. It's definitely not contaminating the water and the oil is also very clean.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It does hold the water lines but it is also an 'head bolt'. There is one on the front left of the engine and one on the rear right (your one) the head cannot be remover without takin these out but I would of thought it being lose wouldn't cause a weep. The oil and water returns are on the back of the head so it could be but just can't see it personally.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I assume you mean wouldn't, smalley?

I see, well I'll keep an eye on it. How does something like this even happen? It's never overheating, infact, I rarely boost!!! Ugh.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Are you sure the oil hasn't just ended up where you can see it and perhaps started leaking from the exhaust cam cover gasket, half moon seal or such?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey mate, got a picture, to show:-

Image not working, I'm on my iPad, the link is: http://postimg.org/image/8u5w4nsh9/

You can see that the rear two cylinders have the leak. The small bolt is visible that was tightened too.

I checked compression and 168 on that cylinder. All around 170 on this engine. Again, no milky oil nor filthy water.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The oil isn't filthy black and I keep the block quite clean although I do not know enough about the engine to understand where the oil galleries are etc.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Hey buddy, it's very common to get oil leaking out of the exhaust side cam cover gasket. As that one is cranked over so the oil can sit there and seep out. That and the half moon at the rear. If you get a torch and look at the area just below the gasket of the cam cover, look all along and see if there is any oil coming from here. As I said its a pretty common fault.
Have a solution too if it is this.:thumbsup:
;)
bob

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey! Will check this tomorrow although the picture I posted from my phone camera seems to show that it is dry on the cylinder head but leaking out of join? The block and below seems to be the only oil caked area.

Unless I'm getting myself confused with the layout? If it were leaking from the cam cover gasket, I would expect the side of the cylinder head to be oily?

Image again :)

View image: image

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Sorry was late last night didn't see the pic.
But it still looks like the polis also coming from higher up the engine?
More like from the half moon at the rear of the head?
Difficult without seeing the car in person.
Easy one would be to take the cam cover off on that side and inspect the head and half moon gaskets for leaks?
;)
Bob

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quick question, any recommendations on where to get a new half moon gasket and what sealant to use? I'd like the best quality as the car is running quite a 'bit' of power.

I didn't take the cam cover off as I was under the impression that if you did, the seals need replacing.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Seals and gaskets from Nissan, from memory the cam cover gasket is around £10, half moon probably less.

I expect most of the traders on here will have them on the shelf too as they're quite common parts to replace

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Not sure if they're genuine or not (I suspect they probably are) but the part numbers for the cam cover gaskets are:

13270-58s11- cam cover gasket (£9.03 + Vat)
13270-58s01- cam cover gasket (£9.03 + Vat)

These prices were from a few years ago from a main dealer

I didn't get the half moon gasket at the time

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry for the delayed post but still having a very small leak coming from, what still seems to be between the bottom end and the cylinder head. The guys from zealou5 did a wonderful job replacing the cam cover seals and the half moons which were indeed letting oil passed but there still seems to be a problem.

I've checked all of the feeds in and out of the engine and it just seems like the oil is still coming from between. The oil leak isn't extremely bad, it's not even creating a drip to the floor but there is a thin film just down the exhaust side which collects underneath.

Something to note is that it continues to do this even though the car hasn't been turned on for a week. So I'm a little confused as to what is causing this. Is it worth taking the cam covers back off and inspecting the seals or could it be the arp head bolts are not torqued correctly?

Any advice/help would be awesome! Cheers

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Hey Chris. It defo won't be the cam seals now.
I wonder if there could be a small crack in the block or as we said the oil feed to the turbo could be leaking? Maybe a not seated banjo fitting etc?
If your passing buddy pop in we can get the camera in there for you.
:thumbsup:
Bob

1 - 20 of 21 Posts