GTR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question for my mate while hes here at mine, he has an R33 GTR V-Spec with a big single on a T88 (Bigger than mine :eek: as he always states) , anyway hes got oil coming out of the air filter more on high boost, we havnt noticed any on low boost really???

It has oil catch tank which is empty and the usual breather hoses in induction pipe.

Whats the oil coming from? theres no exhaust smoke or anything.

It filled with oil to just over the kink in the dip stick, is this too much?

Quick replies appriciated b4 he goes home :D

·
Registered
288 Posts
The end of the dipstick should have a marking for 'ADD' and 'FULL'. Filling the oil level so it reads past the kink in the dipstick would mean that it's high.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
The end of the dipstick should have a marking for 'ADD' and 'FULL'. Filling the oil level so it reads past the kink in the dipstick would mean that it's high.
Comments on this post? Car may be better off if the current owner is removed :chuckle:

·
Banned
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its piped up same as mine
DOes this look right? His oil catch tank is higher up the strut top than mine.

Any help appriciated

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Odd plumbing imho. Don't see why cam cover vents to the intake at all, sure would explain oil coming out (plus, obviously, massive over filling).

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
imho (assuming a catch tank with one input) you leave the link between the two cam covers in place, and link this (either side will do) to the catch tank. You then block off all other pipes etc.

As far as I know the oil mist is created in the cam covers, and as standard chucked back into the engine to be burnt (not great apart from emissions-wise).

This may help:

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/89749-plumbing-oil-catch-tank-pics-please.html

·
Banned
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So both red pipes need to go to the catch tank?

And the other clear pipe need to be a breather?

Then all induction outlets blocked off so theres nothing in the induction?

Now im worried about mine!

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
From the linked thread you can see there are two ways to do it.

fwiw mine's plumbed so the cam covers go to the tank, and then the tank breather goes right under the car to the back so I get no oily smells in the cabin!

You still haven't commented on the fact that your mate can't seem to see the marks on the dipstick showing 'full' (which is below the kink) so appears to have over filled it.

·
Banned
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
that was for when it went on the track to stop oil starving

So you can have an open air breather or a breather into the induction? pics in the thread aint too clear.

Thanks for the help though pal its appriciated :clap:

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Yep. If the breather goes into the induction, then I guess oil vapour could come out of the oil filter - especially if the tank was full!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts