GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys!
Just want to ask you guys if this is normal from a GT-R gauge- Oil pressure almost 0 at idle, I mean as in very near the black plastic that holds the needle when the engine is shut off.. I was just driving and noticed it. The needle rises up when the car is moving though.

Is this normal? (I hope so)

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
no that is a bit low, shouldnt go below 1.5 to 2 i would have thought.

is it standard engine/oil pump?

the oil pressure sensors are known to be rubbish in gtrs so may be worthwhile changing it? also i found that when my battery was low the oil pressure guage would not read properly.

What does it read when you first turn the car on from cold? what does it sit at when driving at a constant speed?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no that is a bit low, shouldnt go below 1.5 to 2 i would have thought.

is it standard engine/oil pump?

the oil pressure sensors are known to be rubbish in gtrs so may be worthwhile changing it? also i found that when my battery was low the oil pressure guage would not read properly.

What does it read when you first turn the car on from cold? what does it sit at when driving at a constant speed?
As of now it has a standard oil pump in a 500 plus hp powerplant. :p Since it's now used for street only. But Planning on getting it replaced next month.

I also heard about the oil pressure sensor being rubbish..

When I first start the car I think it's about 2, then when I was on a traffic and noticed the gauge it's almost pointing to zero at idle! But when I start moving it goes up but its minimal 1 being the highest. But when I got home and started to park, it pointed up to 2 again... What the?!

·
Registered
449 Posts
As long as your low oil pressure warning light doesn't come on then I would say you have a dodgy sender. I think the light comes on below about 0.8 bar. But for peace of mind I would get it checked with a mechanical oil gauge on the engine and fit a second more reliable pressure gauge. :)

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
mate most of the standard gtr oil guages are crap they are all over the place ...
many times mine is on zero and my defi says 4 bar ..!! etc etc..

fit an aftermarket gauge ..job sorted..

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I that so... but are the new oem oil sensors still like this? See, I was not planning on getting any aftermarket oil press. gauge, coz I want less add on gauges as much as possible to make the dash look tidy.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I that so... but are the new oem oil sensors still like this? See, I was not planning on getting any aftermarket oil press. gauge, coz I want less add on gauges as much as possible to make the dash look tidy.
mine is accurate but its had a new sensor.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys where exactly is the oil press. sensor located? :) Gonna test it by tapping it when its doing its very low weird readings again.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
the oil pressure sensor is screwed into the oil filter mounting plate at the left hand side of it it's about the size of a cotton reel
it's a nightmare to get to ..even to see it .!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts