GTR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and couldn't find exactly what I am looking for.

What I want to know is, what is the normal operating oil pressure for a RB26DETT in a R33 GTR at

1) Idle (after engine is warm)
2) Cold
3) normal driving
4) hard driving

What are your oil temps driving normally? Mine is about 80-90deg (no Oil cooler)

Thanks

·
Registered
854 Posts
on mine if it helps..........

start up idle (cold) around 6bar
idle warm (oil @90 deg) 2bar
normal driving at 90deg just over 4bar at 4krpm....

as far as i know for standard oil pump and 15-50 fully synthetic thats about right.:D :D

·
Registered
858 Posts
Depends a lot on the oil viscosity you are using, moosedoog's figures are about right, maybe a little low for a 15-50. I get very similar results using a 5-40 oil.

Nissan specs are 1.5 bar at warm idle, 3 at 2krpm and 4.6 at 6krpm with a 7.5W-30 oil.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
mine never dipped below 3.5bar. 6bar at startup, 4 bar when running. This was with a new N1 pump.

my engine oil temps never really went above 90 either, but then again, it's winter. Come summer, an oil cooler is definitely going on!

over what oil temp should one get worried? Like, the ideal zone for oil temp should be 80 to ???

·
Registered
854 Posts
oops its 10-50 oil for all the difference thats gonna make.

its also worth mentioning that we are all presumably going by the stock gauge which is somewhat renowned for being inaccurate so small differences may mean nothing.

ive read on here somewhere that 4bar at 4krpm hot is a good 'rough' figure for standard internals and pump.

i really averaged my readings out. sometimes its a bit more,sometimes a bit less depending on how the guage/sender is feeling...............

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Keep them coming.

If your pressures are lower than the average or higher, what does that mean?

I get about 6bar cold, then about 3.5 bar while driving normally, oil warm. And on idle about 1.5 bar.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is starting to worry me as I thought it was the oil causing the low oil pressures. I switched to a thicker oil today Castrol Edge 25w50 as I can't find anything else in the 50. It will be changed again shortly to either MOtul or Silkolene.

However, the pressures are listed below in the photo seem to be LOWER than what everyone else is getting, is this normal? Or is something else majorly wrong? Or am I being over paranoid?

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Could well be the pressure sensor is needing replaced. Common on skylnes it seems.

TT

·
Registered
498 Posts
The standard gauge is not that accurate and can give out false readings..Mine for example is fine when cold and reads the exact same as my Greddy gauge but after everything warms up it can read about 1 but the greddy gauge still shows just above 2 at idle..
If you are still concerned get a decent gauge fitted,the last thing you want to do is drive with low oil pressure..

·
Registered
854 Posts
This is starting to worry me as I thought it was the oil causing the low oil pressures. I switched to a thicker oil today Castrol Edge 25w50 as I can't find anything else in the 50. It will be changed again shortly to either MOtul or Silkolene.

However, the pressures are listed below in the photo seem to be LOWER than what everyone else is getting, is this normal? Or is something else majorly wrong? Or am I being over paranoid?

depends what gear your in at 100km/h afaict

i would get an aftermarket guage in there asap so you know exactly whats going on.

mines never been as low as what you indicate above but it changes all the time. i can have around 1.5bar at idle hot, turn the car off,restart immediately and get just over 2bar

im of the opinion that the pressure cant change as the guage indicates so it must be the sender at fault.

might put a guage in mine soon just to be on the safe side

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have a Greddy oil pressure gauge hooked up inline with my stock oil pressure gauge.I have a new long block from Nissan as well with 5W30 oil.
...............................GREDDY ---- STOCK
start up........................8 ---------5
easy driving....................6 ---------4
warm idle.......................4 ---------2
idle(after hard drive)........3.5 ---------0

The stock oil pressre gauge is garbage.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

What happens if the stock gauge is correct? What is the potential damage I can do if I drive around on LOW OIL Press?

I have got a defi link display unit, which I haven't installed yet, I need it installed soon. Hopefully it is the factory gauge and not some other problem!

Moosedog, driving in 5th gear at 100km/hr

Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts