GTR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Sorry to start another thread on this!! But my pressure prob is slightly different from the other thread.

My R32 GTS-t has seen increasingly low oil pressure at hot idle for the last few weeks. I have been a bit dubious about the standard pressure sensor and gauge (mainly from reading topics on the forum) and have just today changed to a mechanical pressure gauge. It has never used any oil since i acquired, although i don't know what oil type is currently in there.

At cold idle, pressure seems fine. when driving with the original gauge, it used to show 4~ish bar when driving so think it was ok. However, when the car is warmed up, it drops lower and lower and eventually seems to bottom out at approx. 12-15 psi!!!!!!!!! (now confirmed with mechanical gauge)

having said that, this is actually higher than the standard gauge which was indicating closer to 0 psi!!!

obviously i am quite worried and havent really been driving the car at all. The car does not knock or rattle at all though. it still seems very smooth and quiet.

i was wondering if anybody else had experienced this before? has anybody got any ideas? because i think it will need to go to somebody to sort it. don't want to risk buggering the engine completely.

i am assuming that likely culprits will be the oil pump or main bearings. maybe somebody could confirm this.

thanks in adavance for any help or advice

Cheers

James D

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
JamesR32GTS-T said:
It has never used any oil since i acquired, although i don't know what oil type is currently in there.
Whenever you buy a car, ALWAYS change the oil, regardless of whether you've been told it was changed recently or not.

For all you know the oil may not have been changed for ages, it might be p*ss thin and breaking down.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, thats definitely made me feel a bit better alex!

i did speak to gary at GT-ART at bolney and he thought hot idle should be about 2 bar, but maybe he stopped listening as i was boring him, and thought i had a GTR!!! ha ha :rolleyes:

but it does still worry me that the pressure has changed in the few months i've had it, eg. the standard gauge use to show 2 bar at hot idle and then increasingly started showing lower and lower readings as time went on.

even if 1 bar~ish is ok i still think something has changed, but i'm not really sure what to do about it

thanks
James

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
You need to buy a good quality oil pressure gauge!
I did, and it made me stop worrying about the oil pressure issue.

Also, change the oil and filter.... just in case it has done many miles, and is very thin.

Asim...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, i have bought an Autometer Gauge, which i have never had any problems with in the past. and its not like its a TIM gauge or anything entirely useless!

I think i'm going to have to speak to someone about it. Can anyone recommend a company who know a lot about the RB20? am in need of further re-assurance :nervous:

thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts