GTR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my bnr32's oils into Motul 300V 20w-60 and oil pressures raised quite a bit. Now when cold start the engine oil pressure is around 7bars. It also pushes 7bars when driving at full throttle. I think this is too much and it also shows when oil filter can't take this amount of pressure. I have nissans original oil filter and it works well when drivin nice or little bit faster but when driving hard there is a nice oil spray.
Idle pressure is about 2.2bar and normal drivin ~3.8bar.
I have new bearings inside the motor (if someone is interested)
Is this 20w-60 oil way too thick or what is happening in my motor?

·
Registered
613 Posts
im no expert but i wud say oil is abit on the thick side
also have u changed oil pressure sensor? just changed mine see thread in general

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
NikWilson said:
I use Castrol RS oil which is 0W40 in my GTR, so I suspect your oil is way too thick

Nik
I was advised that 0W40 would burn off to quick, by mechanic at local garage, so then asked Oilman from here, he agreed, keep your eye on the dipstick.

·
Registered
936 Posts
leggus said:
I was advised that 0W40 would burn off to quick, by mechanic at local garage, so then asked Oilman from here, he agreed, keep your eye on the dipstick.

Thanks for that. But 2 light track days and no oil loss at all. I do keep an eye on the oil level very carefully - just in case!

0W40 is very light, I did use last year Mobil 5W40 but have found the Castol RS oil to be fine. I think Castol RS oil has now been discontinued and has been replaced.

Nik

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just changed my oils to Motul 8100 5w-40 and oil pressures dropped into something around 4bars when floored. But now it looks like it drops into 2 bars at high rpm.
Is this normal?

Haven't driven much after oil shop visit 'cos realised that nissan was pretty slippery on wet, but maybe tomorrow I'll take it to test drive to see what is happening with the oil pressures.

·
Registered
613 Posts
i changed my oil then my oil pressure dropped dramatically shit my pants thought is was fecked changed my oil pressure sender all ok!!!
the senders are always going faulty

·
Banned
11,494 Posts
Silkolene 5w-40 is decent.

Don't forget that the pressure will be slightly elevated during the first few minutes of driving.

·
Registered
11 Posts
running 5w40 i used to get low pressure especially when hot.
changed to silkolene 10w50 and pressures spot on all the time.
it never helped my warped brake discs though.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Tassu_Spirit said:
Is this 20w-60 oil way too thick or what is happening in my motor?
Oil that thick will actually reduce BHP.. [Especially in cold weather]

You want to be using 15W-50 Motol/Silkolene/Mobil 1 IMO. :)
Anything below 10W-40 is too thin.. Our engines don't have the tolerances for the really thin stuff.. So again it doesn't do them any favours.

Standard gauges [& senders] can be really inaccurate [mine was], fit an aftermarket mechanical one if you want to know the real pressure..

7bar isn't anything to worry about but I would get rid of the 20w-60.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Tassu_Spirit said:
I just changed my oils to Motul 8100 5w-40 and oil pressures dropped into something around 4bars when floored. But now it looks like it drops into 2 bars at high rpm.
Is this normal?
It is normal
when the engine is at its end:bawling:

Maybe you have a problem with the gauge,hopefully for you,but i think you have a problem with the oilpump,dont drive the car till you checked everything,you should minimum see 4 bar at higher revs,i have around 6 bar at high revs with the uprated pump.

It´s not normal to see 7 bar with 20w60 and only 2 bar with 5w40,check that befor you drive the car again.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
EvolutionVI said:
It is normal
when the engine is at its end:bawling:

Maybe you have a problem with the gauge,hopefully for you,but i think you have a problem with the oilpump,dont drive the car till you checked everything,you should minimum see 4 bar at higher revs,i have around 6 bar at high revs with the uprated pump.

It´s not normal to see 7 bar with 20w60 and only 2 bar with 5w40,check that befor you drive the car again.
Thanks man. I'll take mine to doctor next time I start it. And have to start looking aftermarket gauges and oil pump.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts